Dan Campbell on the Lions offensive depth after loss to Jaguars: 'We're always looking'

BC it’s atrocious value. Again, if you know he’s Dexter Lawrence, sure. Of course Dexter was plagued by work ethic concerns. Turns out he was probably just bored.

Short of that and the pass rush proficiency that comes with it, it’s just a bad use of premium draft capital.

Even if you hit the jackpot and get say D.J. Reader it’s a pretty damn meh result. Better than whiffing altogether of course.

I agree with you that it is all possible.
We went after JaMoss intentionally. Definitely not avoiding another player, rather going after this one…JaMoss.

THANK GOD Brad Holmes doesn’t think like that! :pray:

1 Like

Except he may.

You of course have zero evidence how Brad feels about taking a Nose Tackle at 12.

Taking a weapon of all weapons and a ten year QB of the Defense at 18 are not evidence of how Brad feels about taking Jordan Davis at 12. Of course not taking Jordan Davis at 12 is to some extent evidence of precisely that.

So put the smug Caps Locks away, Bro.

Well he didn’t take Davis, so maybe he does.

A NT is bad value because they only play two downs, unless like Dexter Lawrence they can rush the passer. Davis showed no sign of doing that during his time at Georgia.

2 Likes

No he doesn’t think like that AT ALL. He said so!

He has never said such a thing in regards to taking a two down Nose Tackle. You are taking Brad’s comments completely out of context. I’m pretty sure that you know that you’re doing that bc I know that you’re a smart guy that is capable of sound reasoning.

Edit: Nvm. Don’t want to fight. Have a nice day, @Richard_Parker

I’m of the belief that the first 6 weeks we see a lot of Gibbs and Montgomery on the field at the same time. Montgomery is the forgotten man all off-season but that dude is a bowling ball of a runner. Gibbs is a threat as a receiver . We’ve seen a lot of him coming out of the backfield running routes but I can see him motioning and getting that one on one matchup with a lb who can’t cover him in open space or a safety that would’ve normally been covering our te. This team is gonna be fine the first 6 weeks on offense especially with our oline relatively healthy for the first time in 3 years. And a guy like laporta who we’ve heard good things about all off-season should help alleviate any added attention Gibbs or st brown would see over the middle.

1 Like

Yes please. Love two back looks.

2 Likes

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

He said….and I quote…”We don’t pick positions, we pick players”….I take that quote to mean he believes in taking ANY PLAYER at ANY POSITION….so as long as said player fits what the team is doing. This is when he was asked about take a RB and a LB in the 1st round. I take that quite to be applicable to all players at all positions….that would include DT.

Like I said….Brad said specifically “We don’t draft positions, we draft players”……just because he hasn’t picked a DT in round one doesn’t mean he never will. Prior to the draft you all probably thought he wouldn’t pick a RB that high until he actually did. So none can say what Brad WONT DO…. :person_shrugging:

Brad was willing to “reach” for Bro Mart because he liked the player so much. Martin has big time potential based on his body. But Brad said what stood out about Brodric was his hustle on the field and his personality. He said its rare to find in a big man.

Do you? So kicker? Long snapper? Punter? Fullback? Bc two down Nose Tackles are just one rung above those

I’m surprised that you would interpret it that way. To me it shows a lack of deduction.

Context is an important element of interpreting comments. If one were to always take a strictly literal interpretation they will often misinterpret. Similarly if one takes general comments that are derived from a specific situation and transposes those to a different situation with different dynamics they are quite likely to arrive at misguided interpretations. There is no transitive property of GM speak, Richard.

Lastly, what a GM says to a fan base is not an accurate view of how a GM thinks. Brad is very careful about saying anything that might tip off tendencies and affect his plight in the future As he should be.

In this case you are doing all three of the above.

Then do so, but the fact remains there is zero evidence that Brad was interested in taking a player like Jordan Davis at twelfth overall. No evidence whatsoever. All of that is your inference.

The only evidence we have is that he did not select Jordan Davis at 12th overall.

So while I can’t sit here and say that there is a ton of evidence saying that he would not make the Davis selection, I do think there is more direct evidence of that. A tiny shred of evidence is more than no evidence at all.

And no one has said what Brad won’t do. You’re the one trying to suggest how Brad thinks about drafting a two down NT near the top ten despite having no clue whatsoever.

2 Likes

Didn’t you and That’s say this exact same thing about RBs this year.

Maybe. Others may have too. I probably did as well. I don’t think many had a top 12 RB selection on their bingo cards. Especially one other than Bijan.

But again, the fact that we drafted a RB at 12 (a RB that Brad has been very careful to frame as a weapon due to his 80 catch per year potential) is not evidence of how Brad might behave (either way) in regards to a two down run stuffing Nose Tackle.

As I said before this debate ever got going began if you think the guy has high end pass rush ability from the Nose Tackle that changes the calculus. If I had to guess Howie and his guys probably believe that with Davis. I assume those that wanted him over Jamo feel that way as well. I don’t personally share that optimism but it’s not like my opinion is founded on anything beyond his college performance. Players develop. We’re banking on BMart doing precisely that albeit with a much more reasonable investment yet similar upside.

1 Like

After three seasons we are getting a good picture of what the team values, and if you don’t get too picky about where guys are drafted, the first three rounds shows the team does seem to worry more about the player than the position

Rounds 1-3; 2021-23

QB 1
RB 1
WR 1
OL 1
TE 1
NT 1
3T 2
Edge 2 *Paschal a tweener type
LB 1
DB 3

No…that is not what I was doing. Again, I responded to you saying that Jordan Davis was atrocious value at 12. I was just saying that Brad doesn’t care about positional value.

@CuriousHusker

Your quotes in bold…my responses in plain