Dan Campbell presser 10/3

Head Coach Dan Campbell speaks to the media on October 3 - YouTube

The more I hear this guy speak, the more I think he isn’t it. I hope he is, but I have doubts.

1 Like

Why?

I’m not down on DC yet. I mean defense is a serious problem right now but I still have to see what DC and Holmes do with their draft capital next year. They better hit free agency hard too. If the Lions are not a playoff team in 2023 then it may be time for a change

2 Likes

Through 4 weeks…

You guys have the best offense in NFL history.

https://twitter.com/OptaSTATS/status/1576718548466302977?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1576718548466302977|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

You also have the worst defense in NFL history. That’s quite the feat.

Side note: If that keeps up (offense) thats twice Goff has orchestrated the leagues best scoring offense. Doing with the Rams and Lions. If I’m not mistaken thats something Stafford has never done even once.

Imagine if your D gave your offense more possessions. You’d be scoring even more. Wow.

11 Likes

Not out on Dan yet, but after last week’s Minny game coaching performance and the defense’s apparent violent diarhea downward death spiral, he’s got me in full on doubt mode.

Being the best, whilst also being the worst, is only a Lions thing…it is the literal, walking, talking, defintion of the term SOL, welcome to the shitshow.

2 Likes

I would mostly say because his ‘fix’ to the defense is what they’ve supposedly been doing all along. When they came in, they said that Patricia’s defense was too complicated and that players were confused and overthinking, so they would implement a defense where they could just go out and make plays and it was simple.

We’re now 21 games into a disaster of a defense and his solution is the same thing he proposed last January. He calls out players’ football intelligence, makes a comment that it’s too hard for players to ‘double Jefferson’ and also stop the run, like it’s rocket science.

I don’t know. The whole thing just stinks to me.

1 Like

The offseason will be huge, no doubt, but I certainly hope we see some changes between now and then too. Schematic, personnel… something, after the bye week. Following three weeks of ineptitude, that was the biggest defensive THIS-IS-NOT-WORKING! cry for help I’ve even seen in the NFL. Three-quarters of the season lies ahead. Gotta try something different long before we get to the offseason.

2 Likes

Wow, sounds like Campbell is talking about adjusting Hutch’s position already.

Hmm…:thinking:

Edit - sounds like it might possibly be about moving him around and lining him up on the strong side opposite of the TE. Or maybe just moving him around, period? Curious to see what that means.

1 Like

Ok. Disappointing start to the season but for me that press conference doesn’t move the needle either way.

In the pre-season record prediction thread I predicted 5 wins and was asked by another poster “Why only 5 wins?” My response was that I didn’t think we had enough playmakers on defense. That suggestion is reading it’s ugly head. Now I’m not gonna be disingenuous and leave out that a few weeks later after seeing hard knocks that I came on here and said that this team could make the playoffs because of the energy that this staff is feeding the players and the players are buying in. I actually do see the players buying in on offense but they just simply can’t overcome the lack of talent on defense. I’m not gonna even hammer Aaron Glenn. He just simply doesn’t have enough players on his side of the coordinators tree. But I wanna caution the Lions nation on something…the way this offense is scoring and putting up numbers beware of Ben Johnson. We see this but I guarantee you other teams see this too. I’d hate to lose Ben! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

How Campbell handles the Aaron Glenn situation over the next month will tell me everything I need to know about his ability to lead a team. He did the right thing with Lynn last year. I have faith he can do it again here.

3 Likes

So crazy.
I expect growth and improvement…but will it be enough?
I really do think our OL will continue to punch ppl in the face.
I also believe we have the goal of doing the same with our DL ASAP.
Dont’ have the horses yet.

1 Like

I have no clue how you came to this conclusion from that presser.

Dan doesn’t like doing that stuff, but it’s part of his job, and more annoying after losses. He’s basically doing it to respect the team/league and represent our guys…even when he doesn’t want to be the public figure.

At the same time you can’t blame him for the defensive problems without giving him credit for fixing the offense. If the offense maintains its play, not necessarily #1 but top half of the league, I say Dan has earned at least one more year to see if he can do the same for the defense. He may not be the guy but this team is closer to competing than it was at this point last year.

5 Likes

I just feel like they’ve prioritized the O, and the D is next.
I feel like we should be happy.
They wanna win the trenches, and we’re gonna address that next offseason.
Nastiest combination of OL and DL ever!!!

1 Like

Very good point, Dan took over the offense last year and all of sudden Goff played better and St. Brown exploded. The offense has been rolling ever since. He deserves credit for that. He was an offensive player and coach after all. All his attention has to be on fixing the defense now though. And that could potentially lead to some difficult decisions on personnel and coaches.

3 Likes

They simplified the defense last year because of the youth and talent. In the off-season Glenn mentioned a shift in philosophy to something a little more detailed where the defense will attack. Its clear we dont have the talent, to run that defense. We also likely lack veteran leadership as well, especially with Walker out. I think thats where Campbell is going. Time to go back to the basics like last year and make it super simple. Its tough to be a very good defense that way, but we are less likely to be as awful as we were this past week. With this offense, that may be enough to actually start winning some of these high scoring affairs. Instead of playing aggressive on 3rd and 16 to try and knock the offense out of field goal range or cause a turnover you play it safe to force the FG attempt. If Seattle kicks a FG there instead of scoring that TD, who knows if the outcome of the game changes .

3 Likes

I think they had to prioritize the offense. Holmes needed to know without a doubt if Goff was the guy or not. So far that question has been answered and he can sink those resources into the defense.

3 Likes