Dan Campbell presser 10/3

4-16-1. I like Campbell, however it’s time to put some games in the win column.

He’s a great motivator and a coach who can conceivably change the culture of the organization.

He allows others to do their jobs and doesn’t strong-arm people. These are positive qualities.

Time to start winning some games though.

And again, I’m a fan of his. I hope he is the guy who can lead us to sustainable success.

2 Likes

I was calling for it, and I think Weeze-man was too.
I wanted 'em to fix the O first.
I think we’re on schedule, and I’m not worried in the slightest.
IF goff continues on this trajectory, the rebuild is acutely AHEAD of schedule.

1 Like

I just want noticeable improvement and less miscommunication. Stop leaving guys wide open. Stop overrunning plays. Those are coachable things. If that stays the same or gets worse over the next 4-5 games, Campbell needs to cut Glenn loose.

4 Likes

Yes to all of this!

1 Like

That was kind of my thought. Just seemed like a nothing byrger of a press conference.

The over @ NE opened at 47 so clearly Vegas expects the hoodie to slow us down.

They are certainly coachable, but even the best coaches can’t teach everyone. We have so much inexperience and youth on defense that there seems to be mistakes more often than not. Maybe we aren’t putting a big enough emphasis on smart instinctual players and focusing to much of these hard working gritty type players. Jarrad Davis would be one of the best LB’ers in the league if he had a great football mind. The guy works incredibly hard and has fantastic physical gifts. His football inteligence and instincts are horrendous though. A prime example of this is Anzalone. He seems to be a great leader and a very hard worker. He also appears to be a great communicator (according to coaches). His instincts are terrible though as hes always a step behind and caught out of position.

1 Like

Also behind the direction, but hate to say this stereotypical response. He’s starting to sound Lionized. I pray not…

1 Like

During Goff’s time at Cal their defense was non existent and the Goffense’s answer was #drop50.

They didn’t HAVE to prioritize the offense. That they did suggests that finding out if Goff was the guy was high on their agenda. If they thought Jared’s ceiling was “placeholder,” they might have prioritized the D more.

I suppose it’s even possible that if Jared does long a great year they could try to sell high on him, gather a couple more players and beans. Hope not. but I think that Campbell still isn’t as impressed with Goff as Holmes is or as some fans have become.

1 Like

I was skeptical about hiring a HC before hiring a GM. I think the GM should hire a guy understanding the schemes and types of players to get. But as usual, the Lions went against the grain. While I agree the Lions needed a player’s coach to restore balance after Fatty Matty: I think if they had it to do over, a schematic guy would likely be a preference.

That seems to be the trend in sports today…HC’s are hired before GM’s and not only that they are essentially hiring the GMs.

1 Like

I didn’t listen to this presser but I watched the post game one and I was thoroughly disappointed that DC called out the pick 6 and then implied the offense needed to score more in this type of game. WTF? your offense scores 45 and you say they needed to score more? Maybe he was just trying to not divide the team , but at some point you have to call it what it is.

4 Likes

That is pretty messed up actually.

2 Likes

That has been the difference in 2 games, so he is probably a little irritated by it. He knows we aren’t good enough right now to overcome those kinds of mistakes, and it is hard to disagree

2 Likes

I had Dan-doubt creep in when he quoted Metallica as inspiration to the team. It reminded me a little of Schwartz’s ankle tattoo. Things that are a little embarrassing, corny and make you go ‘Hmmm’

It’s not quite in the Cosby Sweater and white sneaker territory of Millen but still a little ‘Hmmm’

I think the FG attempt was about on par with ‘Take the wind’ From Marty…

i’m still supportive and the team is playing hard for him at least. So not ready to declare he should be fired. But starting to wonder

THANK YOU. EXACTLY.

Sure, by all means let’s not divide the team. But blaming the side of the ball that deserves an A+ for not getting an A++ isn’t the way to go about keeping the team together.

6 Likes

This is the part that is depressing. I was really hoping we wouldn’t be talking about replacing Campbell in year 2 or any more staff, but it feels this board is starting to cast doubt, which to be honest is well deserved. Hope Campbell turns things around as I really like the guy.

1 Like

I love the guy as a motivator but I think we really need an analytics focused Xs and Os guy to manage games and make tough decisions without emotions.

1 Like

oh snap! defense almost got another pick six