Dan Campbell’s in-game decisions and clock management ranked top 3

I think it’s filled with a lot of coffee.

4 Likes

Anything in my gut eventually comes out of my analshitics.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting the Campbell scores high in the going for 4th down metric but not so high on the end of half timeout metrics, which makes sense as he doesn’t always use timeouts the best way he could.

2 Likes

There is analytics and then there is Danalytics.

2 Likes

Well. Both are true. There is so much about MCDC that we could talk about.

1. he is super intelligent and aware of the “meathead” label and he plays it up. He sets the media and fans up by saying things like “I got distracted by the wave”
  2. he is a student of the game, he didn’t want to be the best OC or DC, he went into coaching to lead men and lead an organization and have a hand in everything. Offensive concepts and defensive concepts.
  3. his playing background gives him a great sense of timing and momentum.
  4. both he and Brad are big into analytics. So he follows his gut….but his gut is highly trained intuition based on his playing experience, feel for the game in general and the analytics that he believes in.

People thought he was a meathead and he is the exact opposite. Dude legitimately will be considered one of the best head coaches when it’s all said and done. We are talking harbaugh and Mike tomlin kinda tenure….

6 Likes

Never thought that sentence and the Lions would be used together. Feels surreal for sure

4 Likes

Yup - How many SBs?
4 in 15 years with 3 wins?

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with the subsequent play call or success / failure — it is about the decision

2 Likes

I agree with this thought
Some podcast host said he was talking to a guy in Pittsburg who said the Lions have their Chuck Noll.

If true, this is the beginning of perhaps the greatest era in Lions history.

So — don’t be freaked out if the Lions select a QB day 1 or 2 — they’re just focused on maximizing today and the future.

3 Likes

It’s Brad plating 3D Chess! LOVE IT!

2 Likes

Great post.

I will say that I definitely latch on to things Dan says because he reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He was a total gorilla who was like hanging out with Gronk on the weekends. But anyone that worked with him, knew how highly intelligent he was. Notice I said anyone that WORKED with him. People that knew him but didn’t work with him saw the same gorilla that he portrayed himself as. People that worked with him and saw the high level planning and problem solving skills had a different impression of him.

2 Likes

I dunno. And I’m perfectly fine saying this kinda stuff about him bc I believe in him and I believe in the kind of leadership and culture he is trying to build. We have seen how it doesn’t work places and with us. We have seen how it works in other places. When you look at what they are trying to build and are now having success it’s similar to the old guard the ravens, the Steelers. But to me the biggest endorsement is the NFL EMBRACING THIS LIONS REGIME. Guys getting interviews. Our scouting people getting promotions. NFL people talking up our regime and what they are doing these last two years. Think about the previous years when we have had “lions success” and how little respect or notice the general public or the nfl gave the lions. Bc they saw behind the curtain and didn’t have faith in the team, the foundation or the leadership. That’s all changed and people are more willing to buy in, to endorse and say ya this isn’t just a random “lions” successful season this is legit. These guys are legit. And it starts w dan.

2 Likes

100% yes.
Next level shit coming up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.