Dane Brugler Lions Mock Picks

As we don’t have a 4th round pick, I would say not at all.

1 Like

I will be shocked if a S is not drafted before the 4th by the lions. Like you I am pretty sure the FO knows it is a need

1 Like

Yea forgot that, OK 5th rd :grinning:
So yea most likely not at all like I said

1 Like

That was more fan assumption then real, they never even brought him in for a visit did they, the most they did was inquirie about him. From what I read.

1 Like

I completely understand people not wanting to grab a QB this year, but it is extremely ignorant to say if the Lions take a QB they screwed up. Most people didn’t consider Josh Allen a high end QB, Mahomes and Watson were both thought to have a high bust potential, most people thought Lamar Jackson wouldn’t amount to anything more then a running QB.

This draft has some crazy talented QB’s with very high upside. The issue is all these guys have some glaring weaknesses and that is why there is no high end options. I would have no issue at all taking a chance on one of these guys and if it doesn’t work out then it doesn’t. If you don’t have a QB in the NFL you aren’t going anywhere.

1 Like

To me, the safety position is one where it will be addition by subtraction, i.e. the Lions need to relegate Will Harris to backup/special teams status. Despite the apparent enthrallment with his physical gifts by both the Patricia and current regime, it’s never translated on the field. Instead, we have situations like current DC Aaron Glenn covering for Harris, essentially saying Harris didn’t know he was supposed to play press coverage on 3rd and 4 instead of playing 9-11 yards deep. The DC shouldn’t have to tell a player, at least not a smart or savvy one, that’s what needed to be done.

2 Likes

I think the fascination with Harris is not only his physical attributes, but his work ethic. He seems to say and do the right things and is a high character guy, he just sucks at football. At this point I don’t see the light ever coming on for him and we desperately need to upgrade that spot.

2 Likes

We need a qb…so

If we came away with

KT…top.pass rusher
Willis…electric athlete at qb

And possibly burks… a number 1 wr…

??

I mean…if we dont get a top WR at some point then it will likely be a top need for 2023 anyways.

Not saying for sure to move up from 33…depends on the cost…and I also mentioned a possible trade down from 33 depending who is on the board at 33 to develop more talent…

Way to cherry pick…

Same thing was said about mahomes draft

Yet…the best qb draft in a long while with Josh Rosen was terrible

There will be a couple good QBs to.come from this draft

I would bet on these 4 being good NFL QBs

Corral
Willis
Howell
Ridder (he has a shot)

Pray tell, just who ARE these “crazy talented QB’s with very high upside” or is it too ignorant of me to ask?

1 Like

I think we may have to deal with not getting a QB next draft. Its incredibly painful to think about, but there is a good chance we go into next year with Goff as our starter. And that sucks.

I’ve always maintained this: if you really like a QB, take him. But don’t take a QB because you are forced into it.

The thing that sucks, is the “were forced into drafting a QB” crowd might be right. We might literally be forced into taking one. Its the wrong approach, but there is no way in hell Campbell/Holmes can afford another season like this one. They can’t cut Goff AND pay for a decent FA QB either. So they’d have to draft one.

I just hope that, if they do, they don’t overdraft. Draft the Stanford kid in like the 3rd or something. I’m trying so hard to tell myself that Goff will look better with better WRS, but I feel like its a fool’s game.

1 Like

I like Matt Corral—just not at No. 1 overall. And yet, he won’t be available at the Rams pick, which will likely be in the twenties.

Maybe we could trade Holmes and he could take Goff and his contract with him.

Malik Willis is electric as a runner and has a very good NFL arm. He is also well built and has the frame to hold up in the NFL. He can make off-platform throws and throw well on the move. I undertsand his decision making is suspect and he needs to work on accuracy, but the tools you can’t teach are there and he has top 5 QB upside.

Desmond Ridder isn’t quite as dynamic as a runner as Willis, but that has more to do with Willis then Ridder. He also may have the strongest arm in this class. Has a very good frame for an NFL quarterback with prototypical size at 6’4 220. Once again, his touch and accuracy need work, as do his mechanics. He also needs to learn to settle down some and lose some of his gunslinger mentality.

Guys like Matt Corral and Kenny Pickett also have some high upside traits. There guys are lacking in a lot of “coachable traits”. They are not guys who come in year 1 and blow you away.

Mac Jones has been successful because of how pro ready he is. Mac Jones is going to be a solid NFL QB. Mac Jones probably won’t ever reach the heights of being a top 5 NFL QB. IMO, his upside is having a Matt Ryan like career, which is really good.

These guys are not Mac Jones. They are either Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen or DeShone Kizer/Marcus Mariota. They are boom or bust guys. QB is the one position where I am perfecting fine with that because if you boom you have a the chance to be a competitive franchise for 10-15 years.

I agree with not over-drafting. You don’t take a QB you don’t really like just because you need one. I personally think Willis/Ridder/Pickett possess enough upside to be worthy of taking, especially if your talking at 33.

Remember the knocks on Justin Herbert as well? Every year there are QB’s that have warts. Buffalo has completely turned their franchise around because they hit on Josh Allen.

There is absolutely no way I see Willis going in round 2.

Some team will take a shot on him, perhaps even in the top 15 picks.

1 Like

I would agree with that. I think his upside will have a team taking a shot on him, especially a team like New Orleans or Pittsburgh who have talented rosters, but really need a QB.

1 Like

LOL, no kidding. Mac Jones has been successful because he wasn’t put on a shitty team and has a great coach. What EXACTLY makes you think all these guys who you claim have high upside in fact HAVE high upside. Hell, in your world there apparently is no such thing as a down year for QB’s. So basically if 1 of these 4 guys you mention makes it, you can say “see!”. The best guy in that group is one who you immediately recognize as having decision making issue’s. NONE of these guys is Jackson or Mahomes, none. What happens when Willis plays a ranked team, Ole Miss? 3 int’s and no TD’s. The guy has wheels, so what? Mariota ran a 4.48 and has real time NFL experience, you aren’t buying a pig in a poke. Hell Willis had 3 int’s vs Louisiana Monroe and Middle Tennessee, you expect him to do better in a game that is way faster with better players? Apparently so. Waiting a year for a way better class is ignorant though. LOL, nice.

My thing is with Holmes/Campbell: you took Sewell when you needed a QB because you thought he was the best player available. So why change now? Stick with the plan. Don’t reverse course, just keep going with building up the team with good players.

The only guy I would take a chance on with that 2nd first round pick is Desmond Ridder. The reason is he hits all the points I look for in a QB as far as traits. He’s been a long time starter. He’s elevated a team. He has height. He has tools as a runner/scrambler. He has an arm. The only thing I don’t know about him is how well he processes coverage. Which is a big part of it. I could get behind Pickett too. And the kid from Nevada, although I haven’t seen a ton of him.

1 Like