Dane Brugler’s New Mock

He’s at least a willing blocker on screens and in the run game. I think he definitely does.

And wait a minute…

@BarrySanders20 puts out a positive statement about a Buckeye player???

Just messing with you.

1 Like

I’m totally fine with Olave bc:

A:) his floor is quite high. I think he’s very likely to be a solid #2 and be so early in his career
B:) his skill set compliments St. Brown very well

BUT if we do so I really hope we:

A:) add a veteran numbed 1 short term
B:) go for a lottery ticket later in the draft. Someone in the Tolbert, Watson, maybe even Danny Gray or Heiligh. Someone with #1 upside.

I’m all in board with us going overkill at WR this offseason. Give Goff more than he could ever want and see what he’s got.

On top of that Garrett is very smart and cerebral football player. He has everything!! I hope we draft him somehow lol Yeah i don’t say a lot of positive things Buckeyes. This kid is the real deal though. His game translates

Amon Ra + Garrett Wilson :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Yep. I worry a little about him, but I think he does compliment both St Brown and Goff quite well. As for Wilson: I love Garrett Wilson, but I dunno he feels a little redundant with St Brown with the size/skill set (not to say they aren’t different too). I think Wilson is more a slot guy and St Brown can play the Z, but I think both are born to play slot. Plus I don’t think we have a shot at him anyway with the 2nd 1st rounder.

I know many people are jumping on the St Brown is a #1 WR, but not me. I am glad we have him, and he really came on at the end of the year. He is going to help us down the road without a doubt. However, its not really about the labels. Its about getting a good, well-rounded WR core that has some flexibility in positions and whose skills compliment the overall scheme and each other

1 Like

I think Wilson fits any where. I don’t see Amon Ra as a #1 either

In this scenario I might look at some combo of Pickens, Hill, Cine with with those two picks instead of Olave and a CB.

It really just depends on what they want, too. If they want an X WR then they aren’t drafted Garrett or Olave. They’ll be looking at London, Pickens or Bell, probably. If they want a over-the-top play-action deep target, Olave is the guy. Or Jameson. Wilson and Burks have gotten a lot of their touches in the quick game but have some versatility. Esp Burks, which is why I like him a lot.

Yeah I have Bell as my #4 receiver despite his expected slowness, dude just has a knack for getting open and has the best hands in the class. Cooper Kupp also ran a 4.6, and he went around the same spot (high 3rd I believe), so while I agree with Dane that he’ll probably go lower than we think, I still like his future prospects.

1 Like

So does he hate Purdue?

Antonio Brown also ran a high 4.6 it is all about route running at that speed.

1 Like

To me Wilson has the twitchiness and footwork to separate at the line of scrimmage and his body control is freakish. I don’t see any reason he should be limited to the slot except his size, and many guys have proven over the years that size can be overcome, as long as you can get off the line of scrimmage. Diontae Johnson, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, Manny Sanders, Devonta Smith, etc… Besides he could add a little weight to get up to ODB’s range, they’re the same height.

1 Like

Agree with all of this. He’s an outside receiver.

He played outside at OSU this past year. Its not that I think he can’t do it. But even then, it was so JSN could get on the field.

I just think he is best suited for the slot. His game is not leveraging CBs or blowing past them IMO. His game is RAC and explosive cuts. I don’t think he is super effective outside as a deep threat.

Later in the draft would be a steal according to Brugler’s mock. He has Tolbert going #48 to the Saints.

He’ll be hell on deep crossers but I agree that I don’t think being a go-route deep threat will be the strength of his game (but he’ll have some success there given his elite body control). I think he’s better served being used the way the Niners use their receivers, or the way Jerry Rice won, etc… Lots of hitting in stride and RAC, deep crossers, outs, etc…

I really don’t think we see him that differently. He seems to have big mittens and body control to make tough catches, but I worry a little bit about him being bodied and not quite having the jets to burn outside on deep routes. He’s great at separation though and I think if you want to maximize Wilson, you put him in the slot is all. He would be fun as a Lion because they aren’t afraid to call interesting plays for him. Olave is a guy I like on crossers too. He does well working the sideline and I think he’d be a complimentary piece to St Brown.

1 Like

Since Brugler is obviously early with this mock, here are some questions I find interesting about what the Lions will do, or players that might fit:

1. What are the Lions going to do at QB? I’m torn here because while I don’t think they should go all-in on Goff, I don’t really want to draft one of these guys with the first three picks either. Will they roll the dice one more year?

2. What about corner? I keep seeing corners being mocked high to us. I wonder if that is accurate. Sure, we had a bad pass defense but am I being a homer for liking what AO and JJacobs did out there? For thinking Iffy has potential? I thought the rookie played well at nickel too.

3. IMO we need two WRs. Not one. Will they go after WRs like they went after DTs last year?

4. Where is the bigger need DT or EDGE? Is the talent so bad here that I can’t see the forest from the trees? Who are we not happy with? Brockers is getting older. So is Nick Williams. They are not the future. Are they banking on Levi? What happens when Romeo comes back? Are they throwing the towel in on J Okwara and Harris?

I think Levi is ideally starting at one DT spot, but I don’t expect Williams back and I hope Brockers doesn’t start. This is why I think we could take a Travon Walker to be the DT opposite Levi.

I am incredibly encouraged by Iffy in the few games he played. With more experience, I expect to see more elite plays like we saw against Davante Adams in the last game. Good God, he even turned his head and located the ball on occasion!! All while being in the same ZIP Code with the receiver.

I-M-2-6!!

2 Likes