David Montgomery to Detroit goodbye jamaal

Pizza Yes GIF
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

I don’t think it’s “bigger leader,” I just think that the defense needs more leadership than the offense does. Losing Jamaal doesn’t hurt as much when you have vets like Goff, Frank, and Taylor on the offensive side.

That defense is preeeeetty young though. Anzalone is one of the few vets on that side.

3 Likes

That is factual. A few clues. Rewatch the games and the clips. The defense LOVES AA. He is their DUDE. And I don’t give a ■■■■ what people are saying, he is a good not great LB.

Loved swag. But loved him more for his personality and leadership. This deal if signed was always going to sour w time. So I’m my head I was thinking 2 years 10-12 million total. And that to me was a lot. He wants more and I appreciate that, but don’t want him at a higher price.

I don’t like Edwards. Let’s see him produce when he doesn’t hVe the best line in football in front of him. AA is 5x’s the athlete he is……

4 Likes

He’s been back to the future, & he knows Dan wins multiple titles here

Handsomeness matters.

3 Likes

Ill Never Forget You Pedro Pascal GIF by The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

2 Likes

big cat swipe GIF

If that’s the case then Jamal should have taken that deal with us. :man_shrugging:t5: but ignore me. I’ll let you mourn. Lol

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily hate what he’s doing there. He inherited a similar situation as Holmes, he cleaned the cupboard, Holmes rearranged and restocked. Although he likes his LB’s a little much.

He’s only 25. A ton of tread still on the tires.

2 Likes

I know i am in minority but I hope we pass on Kancey I think he is media hype player good yes in college an maybe third rd player.

But thats about as high as i can grade him rd 3… He will have a problem in pros wish him well just not as Lion

1 Like

He’s the one I wanted.

1 Like

I’m glad Holmes doesn’t get emotionally attached to players like fans do.

This is what good GM’S do!

It sucks to lose a player like JW, but Monty is a better and younger player.

8 Likes

I have no doubt that many of you noticed a drop off in our run game the last quarter of the season.
My silent concern was that last year will be Williams career season
He is due a decline, if not this coming season, than next

Regardless, his production, given the OL as a strength, was not exceptional
I think some have pointed that out using advanced metrics

Yes, he scored a bunch of TDs — I’ll bet now that our total rush TDs will not drop next year (all of these types of statements require an injury disclaimer)

Yes, he seemed to be an emotional leader, but I remember thinking WTF when he dropped some passes early in the year.

The good thing here is that most seem to trust the decision.
Based on my limited knowledge, I definitely think they made a decision that will improve the roster

Not much more than you could hope for

4 Likes

Goff throws 40 TD’s and gets a 4 year extension at 40 mil per year.

2 Likes

LOL

Hey man, you gotta stick to your guns, right?

4 Likes

I have two rules. Don’t draft a RB high unless they are a generational talent. Don’t pay a RB a second contract unless they are a generational talent (or are Swag Kazekage).

David Montgomery is not a generational talent - so I don’t like the move on principle. But I do like David Montgomery in general. Just not how I would approach the utilization of resources. I imagine they offered Jamaal this same contract and he said no. I do think Montgomery will perform better on this contract than Jamaal would.

2 Likes

Montgomery is more of a bruiser/J-Will replacement. They need to draft a more dynamic runner to replace Swift.

1 Like

Assuming JW is gone. DM will do just fine as a leader. Gotta love his personality

4 Likes

Generally agree.
Unless the RB signs a team-friendly deal. (for another team, LOL) Three years, 18M? Still only 25? Sign me up!

2 Likes

Here for a three year window.

My wife is a Bears fan so I have had the opportunity to see him play a few times. With our O-line, he could be scary good. The line he has been running behind has been a mess and he has still been productive.

I hesitate to call him a bruising back because he is more versatile than that. However, when he is running the ball he is generally falling forward. The guy will get positive yards almost always. Swift is the better pass catcher by my eye test, but Montgomery is not a liability in that aspect of the game either. With management, he could be the lead back in a not-by-committee backfield.

I think it is fair to believe that he will be slowing down over the course of this contract, but I have no reason to believe that we will regret the signing short of a major injury. I do think we will have some say that we will have overpaid once the rest of the class signs on the other side of the draft. At this point I would just call it a solid signing that fills a hole.

Of note, it sounded like Jamaal and the Lions were far apart on money. I would have loved a different outcome, but this isn’t a bad consolation prize. It really is a likely improvement.

6 Likes