Day 3 guys I think we'll like (warning, long af post)

Like, I’m talking a small book here. Novella-style (in fact it’s so large, I’ve had to break it in two).

Slowly we’re starting to learn the characteristics of a prospect that make our FO fall in love with them. To me the main ones are:

• Grit/toughness
  • Leadership, preferably in a captain’s role (if available)
  • Tenacious and/or high effort play demeanor with a hot motor.
  • Football intelligence, or as Dan keeps saying in interviews, FBI
  • Work ethic/professionalism (in both the gym and the film room)
  • Good, likeable teammate.
  • Resiliency. Ability to bounce back from adversity (“we were built for this”)

We got a lot more insight into these aspects of prospects through Dane Brugler’s the Beast, so just like I did on the earlier post with more highly-regarded prospects, I did a deeper dive on the players with characteristics I think we’ll like. (For the most part, at positions I think we’ll be looking at… even if it’s only very late).

Now a lot of these are from really small schools which makes finding their tape problematic, so I was forced to cobble together an opinion based on broadcast game angles and/or footage filmed by the schools themsleves, highlights, and other found media. In one case, I only had access to the guy playing basketball (I mention it in the blurb). Mostly what mattered in the very deep cases though was upside + fit based on the characteristics above.

INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE:

• Nick Gargiulo, South Carolina (6’5, 318, 34 inch arms): Great size for a C/G. Closer in size to Ragnow than most of the early center prospects (except Barton). He’s smart and more athlete than mauler, but then so is Frank. And he’s no pushover. Coordinated, great grip strength and hand placement, his head’s always on a swivel. Really good reps against Georgia. His pad level gets a little too high sometimes, but that should be fixable. Can get off balance. Played everywhere along the line. Confirmed in an interview that we’d met with him virtually. Why he fits? Captain at Yale and then South Carolina (his first and only year there), play demeanor, won a toughness award at Yale.
  • Nick Samac, Michigan State (6’4, 307, 32 3/4 inch arms): Really good at the second-level, really good technique, smart (three-time academic all Big-10), tenacious play demeanor but under control with good punch accuracy, checks the captain box, has strong hands and can really generate a lot of torque. He has a thinner base than you’d like which leads to some ugly reps against big uglies and double-teams, and while he moves really well going forward, his lateral quickness leaves something to be desired. Can be an issue on stunts and blitzes, even when he recognizes what’s happening. Coming off a broken fibula so couldn’t test, but will supposedly be ready for OTAs. Why he fits? Checks boxes for captain, play demeanor, work ethic, and football intelligence.
  • C.J. Hansen, Holy Cross (6’5, 300, 32 3/8 inch arms): Another tall, athletic interior OL with questions about his anchor, I’m starting to think I have a type. The best athlete of any I’ve mentioned so far and maybe the smartest too. The question is will he meet the minimum anchor threshold? Right now I’d say he’s below it but he’s renowned for his work ethic, has a frame that looks like it can keep growing, and has added a lot of mass and strength over the past couple of years. If he can keep it up without losing too much athleticism could be a find late. Why he fits? Captain this past season, workaholic, football intelligence, rumored to be a coach-level communicator.
  • Jacob Monk, Duke (6’3, 312, 32.5 inch arms): This one is admittedly more about his intangibles + cheap price. We’re gonna love him. Everyone raves about the guy. If there’s one guy who gets the Jack Campbell treatment as far as his teammates talking about him, it’ll be Monk (or his teammate Carter). He’s smaller than the other guys on this list, and worse, it shows up on tape. He can be moved. He’s got good strength in his hands and upper body, but not a lot in his lower half. That said he’s also one of the best athletes at the position in his class, great mover, easily picks up guys at the second level. A lot to like about him if he can just improve his one area of weakness. But Evan Brown was the same way and we stuck with him for awhile, and Monk brings more to the table. Why he fits? Two-time captain, off-the-charts OC IQ, people can’t shut about how much they love the guy.
  • Hunter Nourzad, Penn State (6’3, 317, 33 inch arms): Probably the best combo of athlete and strength for a center outside the first couple of rounds (and the most likely of all of these to go day 2). He’s old af (like only 3 years younger than Frank), but he’s ready to hit the ground running too. A bit of a jack of all trades master of none type, but really smart, shifted over to C this year and looked like he’d been playing it his whole life. I think the guy could really end up a starting C in the league, which is kinda starting to show as he rises up the mock draft boards. Why he fits? Transferred up from Cornell and was an immediate factor, not a captain at PSU (and can’t find anything about his time at Cornell), but according to the Beast, the Penn State coach called him and Fashanu the foundation of the line, football intelligence.
  • Tylan Grable, UCF (6’5.5, 306, 33 5/8 inch arms): Freaky athlete who’s new to the position (only been playing OL for 4 years, went from QB → TE → OL) but who’s already made remarkable improvement. If he continues to improve at that pace, we might be talking about one of the league’s best in a few years. There are plenty of technical mistakes on his tape, but imo they’re mistakes of inexperience. Has some natural power but still learning to tap into it. Only ever played left tackle as an OL but according to Dane most see his best postion as center. Why he fits? Football intelligence (has those QB smarts), could be a good guy to develop behind Ragnow, however he’s old (turns 25 this season)
  • Jeremy Flax, Kentucky (6’5.5, 343, 33 3/4 inch arms): Born and raised in Detroit, Flax has sort of the opposite problem to the guys I’ve listed so far: strong anchor, but does he meet the athletic threshold for the league? I actually think he does which is why I’m listing him. Played only RT at Kentucky but probably not athletic enough to stay out there; but decent lateral quickness in short areas on tape for a man of his volume. No savant at the second-level but passable (kind of reminds me of Big V). His main issue imo is his inability to stay attached to his man in the run game, which means he’s oftentimes not as much of a factor as you’d like despite his impressive strength and anchor. Doesn’t have a lot of stun in his hands, prefers to control defenders. Why he fits? High effort/hot motor player, competitive and tough, stayed to fight for his place when coach tried to replace him and not only won, took his game to another level, football intelligence, had 0 missed assignments or penalties this year. (However, skipped his bowl game. We’ll see if that matters to Brad late in the draft).
  • Bryan Hudson, Louisville (6’4.5, 300, 32 3/4 inch arms): Another great athlete for the position, fires out of his stance with good hand placement, a technician who understands leverage and angles and marries his feet with his arms, great at the second level, strong hands with some pop. Not a mauler but holds his own in a phone booth because of leverage know-how. Won the award for best OL in the ACC, already married, was a shot-putter for the track team too. Why he fits? Louisville did their captains game-by-game rather than season-long, and Hudson was the captain for game one and their bowl game. Extreme work ethic (leaves motivational post-it notes for himself). High school coaches called him a 30-year-old in a 16-year-old’s body. Played through injury all season (didn’t practice during the week but never missed a game). According to coach Jeff Brohm, “you’d have to amputate his leg for him not to play.” He adds: “He’s also a team leader who exemplifies what that position is all about: just toughness and grit, unselfishness.” Sound like Brad might like that?
  • Dalton Tucker, Marshall (6’6, 307, 34 inch arms): A bit of a different profile to a lot of the other iOL on this list, Tucker is more of a mauler than the others. Great size, but doesn’t have top drawer movement skills or lateral agility, but really, really explosive moving forward (34 inch vert and 9’4 broad!). A factor in the run game. Brad has already shown a willingness to take a guy with a similar profile in Sorsdal (he didn’t have Tucker’s vert but the same 93% broad). On tape he looks like a better mover than he tested, though at best I’d call it average, and while he has a strong base, you’d like him to have more pop in his hands (has the frame to add even more weight/strength). Doesn’t get fooled often and understands his assignments. Why he fits? Marshall retroactively names their starting captains (which is more common than you think), and after the season he won the “eternal captain” award. Fiery hot motor, tough-nosed grinder.
  • Nolan Potter, Northern Illinois (6’5.5, 310, 33 3/4 inch arms): Kind of the opposite of most of the guys on here in that he’s more of a phone booth guy. Decent enough athleticism to pull and trap, but you don’t want to send him to the second level very often. Excellent technician, consistent, doesn’t make many mistakes, excellent identifying stunts and blitzes. Smart, has been Academic All-MAC for multiple years. First team All-MAC for multiple years as well. Why he fits? NIU doesn’t name season captains but game-by-game, but Potter was named a captain for every game. Football intelligence, mean play demeanor, football junkie according to his former OL coach.

WIDE RECEIVER:

• Xavier Weaver, Colorado (6’0, 175): Mr. Reliable on that Colorado team full of stars, has legit horizontal juice. Despite his size has no problem with press, his feet are just too quick. Stops and starts on a pinhead. Great hands. Not much of a YAC guy but decent long speed, and because he’s so quick he can get past defenders and force them to catch up. Has a really innate feel for where to sit down in a zone and how to take advantage of a CB in off coverage. Physical corners will give him problems, if they can get their hands on him, and you definitely worry about him going across the middle at his size. Why he fits? Football intelligence, tough as hell - played through labrum tear all season (in fact didn’t tell his coaches because he didn’t want them to shut him down, knowing full well it would negatively affect his draft status), according to Dane coaches love his assertive attitude, both on and off the field. We were one of 12 teams to attend his solo April 3rd pro day.
  • Mason Tipton, Yale (5’10, 180): Well we know he’s gotta be smart going to Yale (evolutionary biology grad who won Honor Society award for maintaining 3.2 GPA throughout college), then he tested like this: 4.33 40 (1.46 ten yard split), 37 inch vert, 10.5 inch broad. The dude has legit speed and explosion, and great hands to boot. Despite size played outside plenty and posted excellent contested catch rate (64%), partly due to excellent body control. Had a young breakout and produced all 4 years, but will need to work on his route-running. Physical corners give him problems. Why he fits? Yale only names one captain per season and Tipton wasn’t it, but he was given the Jordan Olivar award after the year, which goes to the senior on the squad, other than the captain, who through his devotion to Yale football has earned the highest respect of his teammates. Football intelligence, ‘my ball’ mentality, coaches rave about him as a person.
  • Isaiah Wooden, Southern Utah (5’7, 176): Tiny fella, but a crazy athlete. 44.5 inch vert! 4.35 40 with a 1.38 ten yard split! 6.9 3-cone and 10’5 broad. And he wasn’t just a testing monster, he dominated on the field too. 900 yards and 14 TDs this past year in 11 games (despite frequent bracket coverage). 832 yards and 8 total TDs the year before, averaged over 10 yards per carry too (21 carries for 253 yards) and over 58.3 YPC on his 6 receiving TDs. Electric kick returner. Just turned 24 a couple of months ago, but everyone’s old on day 3. Lined up inside and outside, has excellent, snatchy, late hands. Like many small school guys needs to work on his route-running but has that inherent ability to get open in zone, and despite small size he’s an explosive YAC guy. Tough runner who will plow into DBs lol. Is often open by 5+ yards on tape. Gives his all blocking but as you might expect it doesn’t come easy. Why he fits? Fiery play demeanor, fights like crazy at the catch point, tough as nails, has a couple of full-field chase downs after picks/pooch punts on tape that are eye-opening and speak to his effort. Ultimate dawg, plays WR like a CB.
  • Leon Johnson III, Oklahoma State (6’4.5, 210, 34 1/8 inch arms, 80+ inch wingspan): Mostly for potential untapped upside, he’s just learning how good he can be. Transferred to Oklahoma State after 4 years at George Fox university (where he dominated), slated to redshirt 2023 but willingly burned it in November when injuries hit the WR corps, flashed quickly against much improved competition (notably against BYU, Cincinnati, Oklahoma and Texas A&M). Really good athleticism for such a big guy (4.54 forty, 1.58 ten yard split, 35 inch vert, 10’10 broad, 7.10 3-cone). Excellent at the catch point, great hands, needs to work on his route-running but so do most of them. Played outfield for the George Fox baseball team for 3 seasons. Graduated with math degree from George Fox, won multiple academic honors at both schools. Why he fits? Puts the team above himself, football intelligence, gives his all as a blocker and sprung Ollie Gordon for multiple long TD runs, coaches rave about his focus and attention to detail.

CORNERBACK:

• Chigozie Anusiem, Colorado State (6’1, 200, 32 1/4 inch arms): If we really are switching back to more of a press-man scheme, Anusiem would be a great get late. Big, long and athletic (4.39 40 with a 37.5 inch jump), he’s the prototype and he’s got a nasty edge to him as well. Good tackler and played a ton of zone since transferring to CSU from Cal, and while he struggled at first seemed to be improving this year. He hasn’t been that much of a playmaker, but there’s some thought he might have that sort of ceiling. Was a regular standout at Shrine Bowl practices. Why he fits? Press man skills, play demeanor, very physical in coverage and in run support, football intelligence and route recognition, first-in last-to-leave work ethic.
  • Carlton Johnson, Fresno State (5’10.5, 175, 30 3/8 inch arms): If we liked Starling Thomas, we’re gonna like this guy too. Ran a 4.28 at his pro day and like Thomas that speed is almost purely straight-line (7.33 3-cone). Can get grabby like Thomas too. But the path to the roster is there, the same one paved by Thomas. One of the better playmakers on the ball (had 3 picks against Arizona State), has preternatural sense for what’s going on around him. Can be overpowered in run support but gives it his all. Praised during Senior Bowl practices. Why he fits? Tenacious play demeanor, tough as nails, plays with chip on shoulder, lauded for maturity (has two daughters) coaches say he already plays like a professional.
  • Isaiah Johnson, Syracuse (6’3, 206, 33 inch arms): Detroit kid who we actually met with at his pro day, so he’s not a complete unknown. He’s got some physical gifts not a lot of guys have, in addition to his size there’s a 38 inch vert, a 10’10 broad, and a 6.7 3-cone - which is a bonkers number. However there’s also one number that could be problematic to overcome at CB: the 4.64 40 (with a bad 1.61 10-yard split). Played 3 years at Dartmouth and graduated before transferring to Syracuse. Smooth mover who never panics, knows he has the length to recover when he’s lost a step, has a sixth sense for route breaks before they occur, never misses an assignment, uses the sideline really well. Safety conversion could be forthcoming, another old af dude (already 24), and his hands aren’t all that great. Why he fits? Was voted captain this year - rare for a CB - despite it being only his 2nd year in the program, football intelligence (dude went to Dartmouth), press man skills, versatility, tackling desire (never avoids a pile-up), five years of special teams experience.
  • Micah Abraham, Marshall (5’9.5, 185, 31 inch arms): You can tell on his tape he’s the son of a pro (Donnie Abraham). Excellent technique with good speed (4.45 40), calmness at the catch point that makes him one of the draft’s best playmakers, can’t be fooled by route combinations and trusts his eyes which makes him a great closer on the ball, often runs the route for the receiver, tenacious play style - which can sometimes come back to bite him. Better too aggressive than otherwise though. One of the few guys I would consider a “lockdown corner” in the class - has double-digit pass break-ups in each of the past 3 years and 11 INTs over that span, despite not being targeted in 7 games last year. He’ll always have issues with his size, though. The effort’s there, but he struggles to hold up physically. I expect he’ll be targeted pretty regularly in the run game. Why he fits? Tenacious play demeanor, football intelligence, shows up in big games (had an INT, half a sack, and a pass breakup in Marshall’s 2022 upset of Notre Dame, great in bowls too including this year when he had 6 tackles, 2 pass break ups, and an INT), professional work ethic and study habits.
  • Miles Battle, Utah (6’3, 196, 32 1/8 inch arms): Freaky athlete overall, but especially for a guy his size (4.37 40, 37 vert, 10’7 broad, 4.03 shuttle, 6.84 3-cone). Came up as a WR at Ole Miss but after struggling for playing time switched to CB in 2022, then transferred to Utah in 2023. As you might expect he’s raw as hell with his technique and awareness but has clear untapped upside (even though he’s already 24). Surprising tackling skills given his WR upbringing, praised by Utah coaches for adapting quickly to what they asked of him. Why he fits? Highly competitive, football intelligence, leadership (Utah CB coach called him the leader of the room, despite only arriving this year), earned his right to play at Utah (same coach: “he wasn’t promised anything”), played in meaningless bowl game because, as he says: “I came here wanting to play with these guys and I gave them my all, they gave me their all, so I’ve got to finish it out with them.”
  • Cam Allen, Purdue (6’1, 200, 31 3/4 inch arms): Played safety at Purdue but the thinking seems to be he’ll make the switch to corner in the league. At the very least will be a versatile DB. Not as freaky as Battle as an athlete, but pretty good for his size (4.55 40, 1.52 ten yard split, 35 inch vert, 4.09 SS, 6.74 3-cone). Has a nose for the football, with 17 takeaways over the course of his career (14 INTs and 4 fumble recoveries). Intuitive understand of routes and timing at the catch point, excellent in run support and will probably be even better at CB, better in zone and off than press man right now, had some real struggles this year staying in phase. But has much less press experience and flashed at times too. Played in a lot of different schemes as Purdue changed DCs a lot. Like many of these guys, very old, turns 25 in November. Why he fits? Great work ethic, always in the film room according to teammates, called a role model by coaches, charismatic leader.
  • Tyrek Funderburk, Applachian State (5’11, 186, 30 5/8 inch arms): A speedy corner (4.39 40) who plays a physical brand of CB. Excellent in off and zone, great recognition and burst to close on the ball, but also shows up really well in press, sticky with smooth hips, quick change of direction and plenty of juice. Instinctive playmaker with 8 picks over the last two years (2 returned for TDs in 2023), always looking to get the ball. Excellent against the run and wants to make receivers pay for daring to come anywhere near him. Played first 4 years at Richmond then transferred to App State for his final year, earned first-team All-Sun Belt. Can get grabby at the top of routes and needs to stay calmer at the catch point when in trail, but that doesn’t happen much. Why he fits? Play demeanor, football intelligence, punishing run defender, bet on himself and won, beloved by teammates, wasn’t named a captain as it was his first year in the program but by the end of the year was regularly at the podium for post-game press conferences.
  • Keni-H Lovely, Western Michigan (5’10, 182, 30.5 inch arms): Very fast, very twitchy corner (4.37 40, 38.5 inch vert, 10’3 inch broad, 6.93 3-cone) with excellent closing burst. Has some of the best long speed in the entire class. Six INTs and 13 passes defended the past 2 years. Combative tackler with extensive special teams experience as a gunner. Has a knack for punching the ball and causing fumbles. Lacks the instincts and awareness the best CBs have which limits his playmaking, and can make him seem slow to react at the catch point in man. Which is why he ends up going after the WR’s hands more than the ball. His eyes betray him, he’ll likely get caught taking the cheese from opposing OCs. Why he fits? 2023 team captain who plays with a hot motor, special teams experience, solid tackling and great effort, great kid who donates a lot of time to charity.
  • Mikey Victor, Alabama State (6’2.5, 205, 34 1/2 inch arms): A similar prospect to Isaiah Johnson (with even longer arms!), Victor is an enticing prospect for a lot of his measurables (36 inch jump, 6.82 3-cone) except one: the 4.64 40. Does he have to move to safety? It’s certainly possible. He played there at UNLV before transferring to Alabama State. Like Johnson he can be a little lumbering in his transitions - that’s just how it is with a man his size - but he also understands how to use his crazy levers. Good in press, re-routes WRs as well as anyone in the class. Stud at the catch point. Made a lot of key pass breakups, good production, won a game with an INT. 2nd in the entire country in passes defended per game (just above Quinyon Mitchell). Strong tackler but definitely needs some technique work, likes to go flying in for the kill shot. Stood out during Shrine Bowl practices (where he went 4-for-4 defending deep balls), first-team FCS All-American, second-highest rated FCS corner on PFF (84.9 grade). Invited to Alabama’s pro day. Why he fits? Press man skills, hard worker, more even-keeled than fiery but said to be a pro in the film room already.

SAFETY:

• Emany Johnson, S, Nevada (6’2, 218, 31 1/4 inch arms): One of the more bizarre profiles I’ve ever seen. He was at Nevada for 6 years and literally didn’t start a game the first 5. Then he makes first-team All-Mountain West his first year starting and wins team MVP. Had more tackles this past season than the previous five combined. And what’s strange is he looked like a natural when he finally got a shot. You can’t help but think that guy’s an NFL player. Good instincts and ball skills, plays the ball like a WR. Could improve in run support, but triggers well, flies in with purpose, and navigates the LOS very well. Just misses tackles. Needs to improve his technique. Ran a 4.50 40 with a 1.54 ten yard split, jumped 38 inches and had a 6.99 3-cone. The guy has legit NFL athleticism. We’re probably talking a UDFA here, but he’s got some pretty intriguing stuff to him. Lost his father and childhood best friend in 12 hour period during the 2023 season. Not as old as most 6th year players (still only 23). Why he fits? Special teams experience, energetic play temperament, childlike and infectious in his exuberance on the field, very loyal, stayed with Nevada through multiple staff changes,
  • Derek Slywka, Ithaca College (6’2, 215, 31 3/8 inch arms): Extremely explosive small-school player (39 inch vert, 10’7 broad, 4.15 SS, 6.78 3-cone, 4.55 40 with a 1.56 ten yards split), played everywhere but most snaps at single high and two-high. Very instinctive, he eads routes, triggers and locates the ball really well (though he will fall for eye candy now and again). Lots of production re INTs and passes defended, will bait the QB into mistakes. Ton of pop behind his pads, guys know when they’ve been hit, a real tone-setter, but could stand to wrap up better. Legit makeup/closing speed. Loves to mix it up with offensive players. Obviously a huge step up in competition coming, and you’d really like to avoid situations that have him turning his back to the QB. Needs to get in NFL weight room to build up arms and upper body to help him shed blocks better. Named first-team D3 all-American by three different sources, including the AP. Why he fits? Hot motor, attitude, vicious tackling, special teams experience, improved every single year, coaches rave about work ethic, was defensive playcaller.
  • Rod Gattison, Western Carolina (6’0, 199, 31 inch arms): Played CB in college but doesn’t have the speed or hips to do so in the pros. But he’s an excellent, physical tackler, with good trigger instincts, so a switch to safety could be in the cards. Why he fits? Gritty play demeanor, special teams experience, hard worker and film junkie, infectious alpha personality, at least three times I saw a coach/teammate say “he wants all the smoke,” which as I understand it is the 2020s version of “come at me, bro!”
  • P.J. Jules, Southern Illinois (6’0, 203, 32 inch arms): High school teammates with Kerby Joseph, Jules is definitely a box safety but he’s also one of the more instinctive run defenders in the class. If he was a little younger (turns 26 in a month!), we might be talking about a day 2 pick here. He’s aggressive downhill, erases ball-carriers, effectively wades through and past blockers, and is a ballhawk at the catch point (he would be even more so if his hands didn’t betray him). Has a knack for being around the ball, very good at reading the flow of a play. I think of him as an older, cheaper Mustapha. Not a lot of playmaking, but good instincts at the catch point. Just doesn’t have the greatest hands. FCS AP 1st team All-American, finalist for FCS defensive player of the year, made Feldman’s freaks list for his lifting and jumping prowess. Why he fits? Play demeanor, hot motor, special teams experience, work ethic (“always in film/weight room”).
  • Al Blades Jr., Duke (6’0, 194, 32 inch arms): Bennie’s nephew! Blades started off his career at Miami - as most Blades’ do - before transferring to Duke after graduating. Played most of his career as a CB but safety at Duke and his final season at Miami, which is probably where he’ll play in the league. Smart kid (I mean, Duke grad school), good athlete, punishing run defender, instinctive guy who plays the catch point really well and rarely takes the cheese. Doesn’t have the speed to stay in pure man-to-man (hence the safety conversion), and he’s another old af prospect (though not as bad as Jules) who turns 25 in October. Why he fits? Was named a captain at Miami as a TRUE freshman (2 games), understands what it takes to be a pro, is already a leg up when it comes to film study and work required.
  • Quinten Arello, Dartmouth (6’0.5, 202, 30 1/4 inch arms): Two-time captain who, perhaps unsurprisingly, never misses an assignment or makes a mental mistake. Like ever. He simply cannot be fooled, and I really think that will be valuable going forward in the league. And you see the Dartmouth there and think bad athlete but check this out: 43.5 inch vert, 10’6 broad, 6.88 3-cone, 4.55 40. Very, very good athlete, it turns out. More of a drag-down tackler than a crusher but gets his man down, and really only played deep safety (both single and two-high). Never gonna be one of those safeties who flies in and thumps a guy close to the line. Why he fits? Two-time captain, coaches rave about his football IQ, work ethic and leadership skills, head man says “calm, steady, reliable and consistent, has a great way with the younger guys, he’s unflappable. You name it and he’s seen it before. He can direct traffic, he’s a controlling and comforting influence.” Gave the commencement speech at his high school graduation.
  • Rashad Wisdom, UTSA (5’8.5, 203, 29 inch arms): Smaller than you’d like but has a ton of experience. Really good athlete too (4.50 40, 1.52 ten yard split, 37 inch vert, 4.11 SS, 6.89 3-cone). The first thing that stands how is his tenacity, he’s a fiery little dude, sometimes to his detriment when it comes to taking a few steps the wrong way, not to mention penalties. Despite size he’s very strong against the run and physical in coverage. Has been UTSA’s best defensive player for five years, since making all-Conference USA as a frosh. Highly decorated career. Has been on the Jim Thorpe preseason watchlist for 3 straight seasons, and the Bronco Nagurski and Chuck Bednarik watchlists for two. Lost his brother and best friend to kidney cancer at 18, made him grow up fast. Why he fits? Like LSU with the number 18, UTSA gives out single digit jerseys to the players voted on by their teammates as the best leaders of the team, starting with 0 and going to 9. Wisdom has worn the number 0 jersey the past two years. Three-time team captain, is renowned in the program for his work ethic and resiliency, pretty much checks every box we have, so I’m just gonna stop listing them. He’ll be a fit for sure.
1 Like

(Post continued):

EDGE:

• Eric Watts, UConn (6’5.5, 276, 35 3/4 inch arms): He’s the discount version of Darius Robinson (just look at those arms!). Ran a 4.67 and jumped 37 inches. He’s every bit as strong as Robinson, with just as good of a work ethic. I mean here’s what Dane has to say about him, you can practically copy-and-paste this over to Robinson’s scouting report (except for the stuff about his battles with Haynes, of course): “relentless competitor and shows fight deep into games, regardless of score. ‘Christian (Haynes) and I got kicked out of practice sometimes,’ Watts says, ‘because we’re both alpha males competing’.” Like Robinson he’s not gonna wow you with athleticism, and he’s a little rawer from a technique perspective (has a lot of work to do keeping his pad level low). You wish his instincts were a little better against the run, but a guy like this in the 5th or 6th round? Sign me up. Why he fits? unrelenting motor and work ethic, added 50 pounds of muscle since arriving on campus, beloved by teammates for friendly personality off the field, but flips a switch on the field, doesn’t say much but according to DL coach, when he does, people listen.
  • Byron Vaughns, Baylor (6’3.5, 225, 35 inch arms, 84 inch wingspan): One of the more freakish size to length ratios in the class, he’s another guy I think might have some untapped upside. Started off at Texas and willingly admits to being immature before transferring to Utah State and getting his shit together before transferring to Baylor for his final season. Like James Houston was strictly an off-ball LB before finding more success as a pass-rusher (was named MVP of the Mountain West championship game in 2022). Long-legged rusher who has really violent hands even if he’s still learning how to use them, extremely fast closer once he gets a sliver of space, good bend at the corner, better edge-setter and block-shedder than you would think at his size, sniffs out screens and counters pretty well, probably better dropping into coverage than Houston is. Ran 4.63 40 with a 7.2 3-cone and had second-fastest hoop drill (MPH) at Big 12 combine. His weight is obviously an issue and he probably fits best in a 3-4 as a stand-up rush linebacker. Why he fits? Overcame adversity, special teams experience, never quits on a play, teammates love him, Baylor coach says he has a mentality of earning everything.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE:

• Lorenzo Thompson, Rhode Island (6’6, 305, 32 3/4): It’s pretty much impossible to watch this guy and not love him. One of the very few athletic OL (5.0 40 with a 1.77 ten yard split, 4.6 SS, 7.6 3-cone) who also happen to be mean, nasty blockers. His tenacity and easy ability to mirror made him virtually impossible to beat at his level. Good grip strength and excellent timing and placement on his punches. But you can see the issue in his measurables… he’s got a long, lean athletic build with short arms. Usually those short arms would push him inside but I don’t think he has the anchor to survive. And because of his lack of girth, he often tries to kill other DL when he’s on the move to wipe them out of the play. It’s fantastic to watch when it works, but ugly when it doesn’t. I really think he’ll have to stay at tackle where his mirroring skills will thrive, but that length will give him issues. Actually looks a lot more athletic on tape - including during Hula Bowl practices - than he tested. FCS All-American this year, finished career with 29 straight starts. Why he fits? Checks the captain box (2023), tenacious play demeanor, URI coach commended his notable work ethic as a high schooler before Thompson ever arrived.
  • Caedan Wallace, Penn State (6’5, 314, 34 inch arms): Not a complete unknown but mostly he’s been known for his struggles. What people don’t realize is he’s actually been really good the past couple of years, and improving at a fairly dramatic rate. Very good athlete (8.23 RAS) with heavy, monster-size hands (almost 11 inches), Wallace creates as much push in the run game as any RT not named Fuaga. Plays through the whistle with a nasty streak, comfortable picking up stunts and blitzes, smooth lateral slide, calm and accurate when targeted defenders at the second level. Like many blockers starts to falter when he gets tired and his pads raise, but that happened less frequently with each passing year. Smooth athlete, but not an explosive one, which is why many think he should shift inside to guard. I kind of prefer him there for us as well. Why he fits? Football intelligence, coaches laud his improvement in the film room, plays hard.
  • Nathan Thomas, Louisiana (6’5, 332, 33 3/4 inch arms): Straight from the Thats2 crush list! It’s impossible to watch Thomas and not come away impressed. In fact it’s very difficult to watch Louisiana opponents and not come away impressed with Thomas. He draws the eye. Still relatively new to the position, he’s a big boy with both upper and lower body strength who just displaces guys, he loves to finish plays by torqueing them to the ground and pretty easily moves them where he wants them to go. Not the fleetest of foot but has innate timing and radar for working to the second level (played in zone scheme in college), and has a lot of pop behind his hands. Really started to notice and wipe out stunts this past year. He can look a little lumbering at times which is why, like Wallace, some have earmarked him for a move to guard. Young for a 5th year senior (finally!). Why he fits? Thumper attitude who enjoys getting physical, football intelligence, has professional mindset, know the work has to get done. Former UL OL coach called him “a special kid.”
  • Mike Jerrell, Findlay (6’4.5, 309, 34 inch arms): Big time project whose technique needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, but he’s got the athleticism and strength to make it worth the effort. One of the few OTs to run under 5.0 in the 40 (4.94, with a 1.69 ten yard split), you don’t often come across guys this big who move like Jerrell. Has a background as a basketball player and tight end, and it shows. Is predictably great on the move, has a strong punch, and is surprisingly natural timing it (though again, technique needs some work). Notable week of practice at the Hula Bowl and outshined Ohio State linemen at tOSU pro day. Alas, like a lot of these guys he turns 25 before the season starts. Already has his master’s degree. Why he fits? Toughness, never gives an inch, goes to war every game, work ethic, capacity to learn.
  • Bayron Matos, Dominican Republic (INT’L) (6’7, 313, 35 1/4 inch arms): OK, I admit. I was unable to find any footage of Matos playing football. Which is unsurprising, considering he’s part of the International Pathway Program and has only been playing football for around two years (one year at USF but on the bench). However he spent his first four years at USF playing basketball, so I watched some of that to see how he moved. As you might expect of a man who ran a 4.90 40 with a 1.77 ten yard split, very, very well. Honestly there were a lot of international OL with eye-opening measurements, but what set Matos apart - aside from the slight head start - was a glowing review from former GM Scott Pioli. “Matos has picked up specific offensive line movements quicker than most and is making remarkable strides. He is smooth with good foot/hand coordination and possesses rare punch explosion.” Also says he expects him to be drafted on day 3, much like Jordan Mailata was. Why he fits? I think most of the Internation guys would fit for their desire to work and chase their dreams. The work load is reputed to be intense which adds up, given these guys are trying to catch up to the multiple-year head start most prospects have. Rumored to be the emotional leader of the IPP program, which you can sorta see here:

INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE:

• Marcus Harris, Auburn (6’2.5, 290, 32 inch arms): Instinctive, high motor disruptor, has a nose for stopping the run while attacking, active hands with a lot of pop, balanced lower body, very quick with the athleticism to recover when his size gets him in trouble. Intelligent rush plan, extremely strong for his size with a low center of gravity, quick first step, excellent range for an iDL, makes a lot of tackles downfield. Can be quick to leave his gap, and of course length will give him problems if they get their hands on him first, he also doesn’t have much of a pass-rush plan other than keeping his hands active. First-team all-SEC. Why he fits? Hot, hot motor, football character, football intelligence.
  • Brandon Matterson, UTSA (6’1, 296, 32 3/8 inch arms): Plays all out, all the time. Along with Kneeland one of the hottest motors in the class. Really quick feet for a guy his size (4.88 40 with a 1.63 ten yard split!), strong arms and hands and loves to get physical, his hands and his feet are always in rhythm. Gave Tennessee fits. Of course like Harris and other smaller DTs, their size can be overwhelmed, and he doesn’t have a lot of sheer power in his base to collapse the pocket. You definitely want Matterson attacking up the field. Why he fits? Play demeanor (the word grit comes up a lot, which should immediately activate everyone’s FLDS - future-Lions detection system), team player with no ego, does only what’s asked, wore the #3 jersey as voted on by his teammates for leadership (0 is the top vote-getter, then 1 and so on).
  • Jonah Laulu, Oklahoma (6’5, 292, 33.5 inch arms): Wonderful athlete, could see him drafted based on that alone. Ran a 4.96 40 with a 1.71 ten yard split, 36 inch jump (!), 9’10 broad, 4.59 SS, really fluid hips that pack a lot of power, dynamic closer on the ball, great get-off, explodes into blockers, active, dancer’s feet, lots of lateral juice and a terror on stunts and twists. He’s hard to fool before the play but once it starts he can be so single-minded on the ball he’ll miss what’s going on around him, needs to be a little more aware of his surroundings. But even when tricked he’s always on the move and his pursuit is relentless. Why he fits? Is obsessed with getting to the ball, extremely hot motor, DL coach at Oklahoma calls him “unbelievable person, leader and player.”
  • Tomari Fox, North Carolina (6’1.5, 288, 32 3/8 inch arms): Wild story on this one. Renowned leader in the program who got suspended late in 2021 for all of 2022 for taking a banned substance. To this day he doesn’t know what it was, but of course his appeals to the NCAA were met with deaf ears. Struggled during the year off, not only was it his first year since he was a child without football, but since he wasn’t allowed to travel or practice on the field - he could only train with them in the gym during the week - he started to feel like he wasn’t part of the team anymore and depression set in. Thought about leaving but fought through it. On the field he’s a bit like Laulu, he’s got light feet and a great get-off, moves extremely quick laterally and when chasing the ball, excellent when twisting and stunting, has high-level feel for blocks, traps, screens, draws, etc… Like many his size can get overwhelmed by size/double-teams, but does a good job stacking man-blocks and shedding them, and his hands are always moving. More of a drag-down tackler than a thumper, but rarely misses. Brother Tomon has been on the Giants’ practice squad for three years. Why he fits? Coaches rave about his leadership before the suspension, came back from suspension determined to make up for lost time and worked like a madman (and work ethic was already high before it), has overcome a lot, loyal/tough guy who played through injury, fiery play demeanor, never seems to tire, football intelligence.

LINEBACKER:

• Tyrice Knight, UTEP (6’0, 233, 32.5 inch arms): Another one straight from the Thats2 crush list, Knight plays with a patience I’ve rarely seen out of a prospect. It borders on inaction, but then you see him register what’s in front of him and explode to the ball before blockers can get their hands on him. This patience makes him difficult to fool, and while he’s not a burner, he’s got the sideline-to-sideline juice to make it work thanks to his explosion and quick reactions. Great closer on the ball. A textbook, go-back tackler (as in when he tackles someone, they go backwards not forwards), led all of FBS in solo tackles (84). Has great instincts for nearby routes, especially crossers, Taking on blockers isn’t a strength - he prefers to evade them - and he’s a work in progress in man coverage. Also rarely played special teams and like many in this class, is on the older side (turns 24 during the season). On the rare occasion he does misdiagnose a play, he can get horribly out of position. Never missed a game. Why he fits? Described as relentless worker by coaching staff, extremely hot motor (as Dane says, his model didn’t come with a cruise control), durability, UTEP named captains game-by-game rather than season-long, but Knight was named captain every time (seems kinda pointless not to go season-long at that point, but what do I know?).
  • Winston Reid, Weber State (5’11.5, 223, 31 3/4 inch arms): I think Reid might be one of the sleepers of the draft if he wasn’t turning 25 before the season started. He has that CB/S background that makes for an elite coverage LB, as well as an instinct for finding the football (and a knack for causing fumbles). You almost never see a play end without him involved with it. Obviously at his size he can have trouble taking on blocks, but he’s adept at avoiding them. Great blitzer with instant closing burst, and while he’s not a top drawer NFL athlete for the position, his instincts, reaction time, and finishing burst make it seem like he is. Back-to-back first-team FCS All-American. He’s almost certain to be a UDFA somewhere, but don’t be surprised when he sticks. Why he fits? Two-time captain, in fact here’s what Utah State assistant Matty Ah You says about him: “There isn’t anything negative I can say about Winston. He’s the ultimate person that you’d want in your room. I trust him with my kids. He’s a very hard worker. He leads by example rather than words, and then if it’s not working and people aren’t responding, he’ll get after them. He’ll show you how it’s done and then he’ll expect you to live your life like that. Off the field and on the field. I call him my general because he’s the commander.” Sounds like a fit, doesn’t he?
  • Easton Gibbs, Wyoming (6’0.5, 232, 30 3/8 inch arms): So Gibbs is a guy that caught my eye right away in the Beast, when I read this: “comes with zero concerns about his work ethic or focus, voted a team captain in 2023 (three-year team captain in high school), and has been a team leader at every level of football (NFL Scout: ‘He’s the ultimate process guy, a player General Patton would have loved.’)” That sounds a lot like a player Dan Campbell will love, doesn’t it? Now right off the bat you notice he’s not the athlete some of these other guys are, and he’s got some size issues as well that can affect him physically. He just doesn’t have enough mass or length behind him to make the plays his brain is telling him to make. Oh but what a beautiful brain! It’s what allows him to more than hold his own, to thrive. The tackle numbers he put up were ridiculous. Essentially, unfoolable, he’s at the offenses spots before they are. His background as a QB is obvious in the way he plays. Commited zero penalties last year. Why he fits? See above, first sentence.
  • Bo Richter, Air Force (6’0.5, 248, 30 5/8 inch arms): Richter is a LB in the mold of former Saints and current Falcons star Kaden Elliss, in that he’s much more impactful rushing the QB than the other aspects of LB play. In fact he was essentially an edge player for the Air Force this season, but he doesn’t really have the size to hold up on the edge in the league. So maybe Derrick Barnes is a better comp, because this is how Richter tested: 4.56 40 with a 1.56 ten yard split, and a 40 inch vert with a 10’4 broad. For reference Barnes ran a 4.58 40 with a 1.70 ten yard split, 37 inch vert with a 9’11 broad (neither player ran the 3-cone). And Richter is ten pounds heavier than Barnes was the day he tested! Richter was a standout lacrosse player who didn’t start playing football until his junior year of high school (which was alas, 7 years ago, Richter will turn 24 before the season starts). Despite playing a lot on the edge this year, has a ton of experience at both outside and inside LB, which is why I really like the Elliss comp. Both players close in the blink of an eye and, perhaps unsurprisingly given his size, there’s not a better LB in this class when it comes to taking on blocks. Fanatical in pursuit. Is much more advanced going downhill than in coverage, that’s a part of his game that will definitely have to come along if he wants to see the field. Why he fits? Relentless motor, special teams experience, extreme work ethic and discipline, everything you’d expect from someone at a military school. Plus @bignatty will love him.
  • Swayze Bozeman, Southern Mississippi (6’1.5, 224, 30 7/8 inch arms): Hard luck career, played in only 32 games in five seasons at Southern Miss due to injury. But then he tested like this: 4.49 40 with 1.57 ten yard split, 36 inch vert, 10’11 broad, 28 reps on the bench (7 more than next-closest at combine), 4.17 SS and a 6.65 3-cone (! Easily the fastest at the combine). Yowza those are hot numbers that require another look. And in the games he played he really flashed. Has an innate knack for timing his blitz, sees what’s happening in front of him instantly and has a very fast trigger. Former safety who fares better in man coverage than many LBs in the draft. Alas, he’s old even for the old guys in this class… I mentioned the five years at Southern Miss, well that was AFTER two years at JUCO. I don’t know his exact age but after seven years in college he can’t be young. Almost certain to be a UDFA given his age and injuries, but it’s worth taking shots on guys with his athleticism and mentality. Played in five different defensive schemes. Why he fits? Resiliency, worked his ass off to keep chasing his dream, football intelligence, accountable, plays with hot motor, competitiveness - battles to one-up teammates in weight room are talked about by coaches, football intelligence (renowned film buff). Former JUCO coach calls him workaholic “you want your daughter to marry.”
  • Jimmy Ciarlo, Army (6’0.5, 229, 32 inch arms): How ‘bout the service academies, churning out the linebackers! 34 reps on the bench press, putting Bozeman to shame. (Rest of his numbers: 4.65 40 with a 1.60 ten yard split, 36 inch vert, 10’ broad, 4.35 SS and 6.95 3-cone… the guy is an NFL athlete). Excellent closing burst to the football, will chase plays all over the field no matter how far away he is, great tackler especially in the open field, used as a blitzer a lot and made plenty of TFLs. Has good instincts, He’s much more of a weakside run-and-chase backer, you don’t want him having to face up on too many head-on blocks, but he has plenty of pop in his hands as well as behind his pads. If the offensive player trying to block him isn’t ready, he’ll stun them, especially receivers, tight ends and RBs. Even when a blocker gets their hands on him, he’s very good at keeping his outside shoulder clear so he can slip the block and make a play. Showed up against LSU and Syracuse. Why he fits? Checked the captain box (2023), special teams experience, tenacious play demeanor, won Black Lion award given to the Army player who shows “leadership, courage, devotion to duty, self-sacrifice, and above all, an unselfish concern for the team ahead of himself.” Yes please.
  • Joe Andreessen, Buffalo (6’0.4, 240, 30 1/2 inch arms): This year’s version of Trevor Nowaske, small school guy (spent his first five years at Bryant College before transferring to Buffalo) who tested like a pro: 4.64 40 with a 1.59 ten yard split, 38 inch vert, 10’2 broad, 4.22 SS and 32 bench press reps. He’s not the freak Bozeman is, but he’s also 12 pounds heavier. Andreessen has that innate thing you always look for in a LB, the instincts to quickly recognize what’s happening in front of him and react accordingly. Holds up well at the point of attack, delivers jarring punch to incoming blockers to keep them away, triggers quickly once he makes a decision, has a loose frame that allows him to contort himself toward ball-carriers before they can get past. Needs a lot of work in both zone and man coverage and might only be a two-down LB despite his testing, but with his attitude and traits - along with how cheaply he’ll come - worth a bet on the upside. Has a ton of visits and interest. Why he fits: Three-year captain at Bryant before transferring, sky-high football IQ, special teams experience.

RUNNING BACK:

• Kimani Vidal, Troy (5’8, 213, 4.46 40): Think Jaylen Warren, but with a shitload of carries. Vidal fits that short, squatty archetype like Warren, Ray Rice and Corum, and had a ton of success at Troy over the past couple of years (582 carries for 2,793 yards and 24 TDs). Comping him to Warren is a legit way to describe him. Similar contact balance and explosiveness, runs with a never-go-down mentality, good vision and burst through the hole, picks up blitzers like it’s second-nature (best PFF pass-blocking grade in the class for RBs), a real nose for the end zone. Warren’s long speed might be a shade better despite Vidal’s testing, but they’re pretty similar, and Warren’s lateral juice is probably a touch better as well, but Vidal delivers more of a blow. Good on screens and dump-offs, but offers very little otherwise as a passing-game threat. Has a tendency to bounce runs outside that won’t work in the pros. Sun Belt Conference player of the year, 3rd-team FBS All-American, great nephew of Hank Aaron. Maybe a good kick returner with the new rules? Why he fits? Fights for every yard, doggedness when pass-blocking, like many teams Troy did their captains game-by-game and Vidal was chosen multiple times, including for the Sun Belt Championship (where he rushed for 233 yards and scored 5 TDs).
  • Austin Jones, USC (5’9.5, 200, 4.57 40): There’s a long, illustrious list of RBs who got beat out for the RB job in college only to go to the pros and carve out big careers. From career college backups like Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes, Tony Pollard (3rd string!), Raheem Mostert, Kenyan Drake, James White and Roschon Johnson to guys who had to transfer like Kamara, Jerome Ford, Gus Edwards, Charbonnet, and Chris Ivory, it’s a time-tested path to the league. Jones will never wow you with explosive plays or jukes, but he’s a smooth, patient, steady RB with excellent rhythm and timing to foillow his blocks. And underrated burst to pop through a hole (as shown in his 37 inch vert and 10’ broad). He’s more of a glider than a cutter but his feet are quick through the hole, he won’t stray too far from what’s blocked but he’ll maximize it too. Natural hands-catcher who had zero dropped passes or fumbles in 2023, he’s also a very good pass-blocker. Never misses a blitz pick up, though at times the defender will overpower him. He’s undersized and won’t grind out many though yards (he’ll try, it’s just not his game), but if he’s used right, he won’t have to. Always thrived when he got his chance (after Travis Dye got hurt in 2022 put up 120 yards on 21 carries against rival UCLA then 154 on 25 carries in a season-ending win over Notre Dame). Why he fits? Puts the team first, never complained despite expecting more work, “whatever it takes” work ethic, football intelligence, special teams experience, teammates say he has the heart of a warrior, with one adding: “we would run through the wall for that dude.”
  • Blake Watson, Memphis (5’9.5, 200, 4.40 40): What is it about Memphis and turning WRs into RBs? First there was Pollard, then Antonio Gibson, now Blake Watson (though granted, that transition happened at his first school Old Dominion). Watson is a flashy athlete with surprising contact balance for a guy his size. In fact on tape he looks bigger than he is, often bouncing off or slips through tackle attempts. As you might expect from a WR recruit he’s a weapon in the passing game, maybe the most impactful RB in the draft when it comes to screens. Patient runner who understands where he’s supposed to go and presses the line for holes before exploding through them (41.5 inch vert! 11’3 broad!). Like Jones he won’t run anyone over but he fights for every yard he can get. Dependable, never missed a game over the past four season despite being a smaller back (and taking some shots). More quick than fast, he gets caught from behind more than you expect, but often it’s 20+ yards downfield. Not the most instinctive back and can sometimes be hesitant to trust his eyes, especially inside where he needs to be more decisive. Offers very little as a pass-blocer right now and turns 25 during the season. Why he fits? Durable, special teams experience, tough and fearless according to ODU coaches that shows up on his tape (especially at that level, where his blocking was awful). Discipline you’d expect from the son of two correctional officers.
  • Kendall Milton, Georgia (6’1.5, 225, 4.62 40): Not the most ostentatious athlete but good vision and toughness allows him to grind out yards. Reminds me a little of Gus Edwards, built in the mode of your classic workhorses. Runs with a battering ram style that coaches will love in short-yardage situations, has good feel for the blocking lanes in front of him, and shrugs off contact. Is generally unfazed by big hits. Nose for the goal line (14 TDs), he seemed to get better and better the more he played and might have untapped upside, as his time was limited by injuries throughout his career. Why he fits? Workout warrior (in a good way), raised in a fitness-conscious home, special teams experience, mentally tough enough to battle back from multiple injuries, play demeanor, beloved by his teammates. Named captain for several games in 2023.

TIGHT END:

• David Martin-Robinson, Temple (6’3.5, 247, 33 inch arms): I admit I’m somewhat of a sucker for the h-back/F type of TE who can line up all over the place. I think our offense could go over the top with a guy like that, and I think Ben would know exactly how to use him. It’s why I like Jaheim Bell so much as well. Move them all over the formation, line them up at fullback, have them block, have them go out for passes, hand them the ball, flip-flop them post snap with LaPorta, Gibbs, ARSB or Monty… the possibilities are nigh endless. DMR’s that type of guy. A former QB, he’s not as big as your classic in-line TE, but he’s also pretty damn athletic with some downright freakish agility testing (4.65 40 with a 1.54 ten yard split, 36 inch vert, 9’10 inch broad, 4.08 SS (!!), 7.08 3-cone). Saw one well known pundit call him a cheaper, better Ja’Tavion Sanders. Silky smooth hands and a natural tracker of the ball, he also powers down really well for a man his size at the top of his route. Gets after it as a blocker, has some high-level DE pancakes on tape and he’s even better on the move (which is why I think he can hold up at FB). Why he fits? Two-time captain, like UTSA the team votes on the players who represent the school, are great leaders, you know the rest, then those players don single-digit jerseys for the year. DMR was awarded the #5, work ethic, puts the team first.

QUARTERBACK:

• Davius Richard, North Carolina Central (6’2.5, 225, 9 3/4 inch hand): Fun fact, the rivalry between Richard’s school North Carolina Central and Brad’s school North Carolina A&T has its own wikipedia page. That won’t stop Brad from taking a punt on Richard late - in fact according to the tweet at the bottom, we’ve already met with him - I just thought it was interesting. He’s a dynamic dual-threat QB who needs a lot of work before he’s ready to take snaps in the league, but who offers a lot of tantalizing traits as well. Highly productive college career. Two-time MEAC player of the year, rushed for over 2000 yards (and 44 TDs) in his college career while passing for almost 9000 yards and 73 TDs. Very strong arm, throws with good timing and with good touch, though will have to work on his mechanics. Not much of a creator off-platform, really needs to set his feet. Will lock onto targets and doesn’t have a lot of experience going through progressions. Usually it’s one-read then run. Deep ball could be more accurate, and he bails at the first sign of pressure. This is a guy who needs a lot of work, but again, has the tools and should come cheaply enough to make him worth a shot. Has a calm on-field demeanor no matter what’s going on around him. Why he fits? Besides the fact he already met with us, he’s a three-time captain absolutely beloved on campus, exceedingly tough (which is obvious everytime he lowers his head like a fullback), smart kid (national scholar athlete), hard worker.
3 Likes

I’ll keep this short. It was hurtful not to include WR Joshua Cephus: a 2 time captain, once before and once after his DUI. :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face:

2 Likes

I will too.

Unlike Thats2 and his copy and paste job he just did from a website

Kidding!

Glad to see you had Hunter Nouzard on there I just made a post about him on the simulator thread.

Played all positions on the OL. All Ivy League then 2nd team All Big Ten.

Perfect depth guy.

Can’t have him and Kindle Vildor on the same team

Yeah he’s a guy I noticed a couple of months ago. I actually think he’s a starting center in the league. The question you have to ask though is how high can I take a guy who’s that old? I mean he’s not that much younger than Frank, he turns 25 during the season. I mean he’s like a year older than Alim! The upside of course is that if he hits right away you’ve got him for cheap, but he almost HAS to hit right away if you want to take him early.

Definitely classes the place up and beautifies the environment…that’s for damn sure!

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

Ha, I meant to remind myself to insert the photo, but the thing go so damn long I missed it. But that was the exact photo.

I had Watt on my list he will get drafted likely rd 5 maybe sooner. I liked that Center also you listed not one from Penn state he is possible also bu the first one you listed Nick Gargiulo

Worth a late round shot.

This is some gold

Thanks for the work

I knew a few of those guys but your list is amazing. Careful Brad may come snatch you up

1 Like

Love the insight and effort they went into this post!!!

I just ran my first “ESPN Analytics” sim and got-

Z Newton
Troy Franklin
R Green (traded down for #86 and #123)
Bortolini
I Adams
S Vaki
K Milton
J Karty

I would love stocking the OL, getting our kicker and depth and special teams pieces at RB and S would be awesome.

Newton, Franklin and R Green would be a dream day 1-2 for me.

2 Likes

Good work, @Thats2

I really think you’ve outdone yourself this year.

The OL who was a QB and TE??? (Grable). That’s a guy who’s about ready to coach if he can’t play.

3 Likes

Great posts and insight @Thats2 appreciate the effort.

1 Like

This guy is going up high on my Sleeper list immediately, as I truly believe that the Lions are going to be looking to add a real Kick Return demon ala Mel Gray/Eddie Drummond. This guy has that vibe with better receiver skills.

Masterful job, buddy. I’m a bit pressed for time, but you are producing premium content. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

My day 3 looks.
DT Logan Lee…Khristian Boyd
LB Edufuan Ulofoshio
RB Isaac Guerendo
TE Dallin Holker

Good list, these are just some of mine off the top of my head.

2 Likes

He’s one of my favorite guys on the whole list, and we’ve already met with him.

Damn close to mine too. I just don’t see any way Franklin falls that far.

Yeah they rave about his smarts. You wish he was a little younger for still being such a project, but as you say coaching could definitely be in his future.

His highlights are pretty wild too, definitely on the all-fun team when it comes to evaluating them. His play attitude reminds me of Steve Smith, you love to see that out of what is most often the smallest guy on the field.

Yeah some of those guys might have made this list had they not already been brought up quite a bit. Especially Ulofoshio and Holker, who I agree are a big time fit for us from the perspective of all of those bullet points above.

I admit though I liked Holker better when I thought he could play that FB/TE role, but I just don’t think you can line him up in the backfield and as him to lead block. He doesn’t have the experience with it and blocking is definitely the weakest part of his game, especially at the point of attack. He’s gonna make his bread as a pass-catcher.

I liked Guerendo before he tested, but now I think he’ll be overdrafted. I wouldn’t be shocked if he went in the 4th.

I have a hunch the league likes him better than the draft community. Dane has great connections in the league and has him as his 14th overall OT and a 4th round pick, which I suspect is about where he goes. So we’ll have to do some maneuvering or over-drafting if we want him.

1 Like

Yeah I think the 2 Penn St guys will both be drafted much earlier than they are being projected.

Agreed. DJ just had Nourzad as his 109th overall player in his final top 150. As high as I’ve seen him so far but he’s got a lot of helium of late. Not surprising, he may not have any superstar traits (outside of his mental processing, perhaps), but he doesn’t really have any weaknesses either, and on the OL that’s more important.

Logan Lee is my late rd guy I really like definitley a project but a fun science fair project not a 7 day late project that is gonna be last minute put together

1 Like