DC calling plays for the rest of the season

Yes we are talking about it in this thread. This is not Sean Payton or Andy Reid taking over playcalling and doing better. This is a guy who has never been a Cd. or OC and never called plays at any level, telling a guy who has done both of those things, “I can do it better than you.” But - he’s not. He’s doing worse, against worse teams and he’s not recognizing that he’s hurting the team not helping it. I call that ego. If indeed he is planning on handing playcalling duties to the new OC next year, that’s fine and dandy. But if YOU are a guy who is coming up or any highly sought after OC (and why wouldn’t we want that) you know he would be viewing this situation negatively. Where is Duce? Why not develop him while we are losing. A guy who actually could be tapped to call plays next year?? Ego. Sorry.

1 Like

It seems like the “meathead” label really influences a lot of people’s thinking. I guess we are more comfortable when a QB coach becomes OC than when the TE coach does. Meanwhile, it also seems to go unnoticed that the Lions TE coach has assumed Passing Game coordinator duties, while Lynn steps back into run game and blocking.

This isn’t me. Just calling balls and strikes. Did he have ANY experience to justify taking it over? No. Is he doing a better job than Lynn was? No. Are we winning any games? No. Is he doing worse because we are playing better teams? No, it’s the opposite. I don’t think DC is a “meathead.” I do think he is hurting the team short mid and long term by doing this. I believe he is also hurting our ability to land a top flight OC candidate next year from outside the org. I believe he is also hurting our ability to find out what Duce can do as a potential OC internal hire for next year. When I look to the reasons for this, is it because we are better off? No, we aren’t. This is OJT for Dan Campbell so he can according to him hand off playcalling duties to the new OC… (Until…he feels he can do better again, actually do worse, but take over anyway).

You would be throwing him into a situation where he has the worst WR group in the NFL and one of the worst QB’s. He would not be able to make any real changes at this point in the season outside of calling the plays he wants to call. Those would still be someone elses plays, someone elses blocking schemes, someone elses route concepts. When Duce would inevitably fail, now he has a stigma that he can’t call plays or be a future OC because he bombed when he got the opportunity. If we had a veteran play caller on this offensive staff, I would agree. We don’t though. That is where a good HC steps in and takes it on. It was clear Lynn was not the answer and there was reported friction betweem him and Goff. Why let that continue if they already know Lynn is not going to be the guy past this season?

I’ve said for years that I think TE coaches make good OCs because they are used to trying to marry blocking with playcalling and making it work. There are some coaches who want to run their fancy concept but just yell at the guys handling the blocking to “figure it out!” Sean McVay was a TE coach when he was promoted to playcaller.

2 Likes

There was the addition of that Josh Reynolds dude…

Also, as far as affecting future hires, I don’t see that as a concern. Campbell gave a lot of his coaches tons of leeway, and if Lynn was showing any type of promise he would have kept play calling. Campbell assembled a very impressive staff and I don’t see him having trouble finding the right OC.

Some seem to forget DC was Sean Payton’s Asst HC?!

Good leaders never pass up the opportunity to lead when called upon, regardless of how he or she “may look.” I think everyone in the league knows what Duce would be saddled with if people are going to take a run at him for OC or HC in 23. But WE would get to see if Duce may be a special guy and we would not need to go hunting next year. He would not have to turn us into the greatest show on turf in game one. I think being able to call the plays are way more important that what’s in the playbook because guess what? EVERYTHING is in the playbook. He just get’s to choose what to call. Would it be possible to take Lynn’s run heavy offense and decide to only call pass plays for the rest of the season?? Absofreakinglutely. I’m certainly not advising that, and we should lean heavily on our rushing attack. I’m sure Duce would being a former RB like Lynn and having that tough guy mentality like DC.

Look, does ANYONE here want DC as our playcaller next year? Anyone?? Ok, so let’s get real. We don’t know what Duce can do, and in a throwaway season, it’s more important for him to get OJT than DC.

That never called plays so what did I forget?

Go read the other posts…. They are educational …. It’s up to you to be open minded enough to see it…

Alot of good stuff and I do agree with your out look, pretty accurate. I’m alittle more down on Holmes and I do think you can tell alot about a GM in there first season by there approach to building the team. And how they identify teams needs and weaknesses. But over all I agree with most of what you said.

It’s possible. But what this staff bought this offseason was what? DC said, no egos, he wants to develop good coaches and if they are good enough to get promoted elsewhere, that would be fine. He handed Duce some additional duties which is going down that path. Then this. So he’s showing a bit of a different look with this than what he talked about. Actions speak louder than words and if I’m an aspiring OC, I’m probably looking elsewhere because I don’t trust that this HC is going to give me the necessary latitude. Again, if he was doing better that would be one thing. He isn’t and yet doubling down and that is not backing up the words he presented when he first took the helm. Don’t hate the guy so you guys can put down the pitchforks and torches. But I’m not going to pretend like this is the good smart thing to do, because it most certainly is not.

Why… how condescending of you. I’m open minded enough to see that our offense is performing worse against easier teams to beat than when Lynn had the con. The rest is spin not “education.”

If your truly open minded, honest about yourself you understand this and just go “ahhhhh, that right!” And move on brother

What are these leeways you are referring to ?

And attracking a new OC might not be the same after a winless season and taking over play calling. Seeing his actual approach to the game.

A guy that the Titans didn’t want despite having tons of injuries to their WR’s is now the Lions #1 WR, that says it all.

I am hoping the Lions can snag Nate McCrary off the Ravens PS if they leave him unprotected.

He mentioned he got input from guys like Lynn and Glenn about some of the other hirings that was made on staff. Duce repeated said Campbell put more responsibilities on his plate then he ever had previously to groom him into becoming a future OC. He has shown he is willing to put his trust in his staff. Lynn was obviously not performing his duties up to par, and I’d be willing to bet there is more behind the scenes that we don’t know about that neccesitated the move.

Honestly, the talent we posses at the WR and QB position is going to be the biggest detractor to a potential OC hire.