DC calling plays for the rest of the season

yes - and JJ, Swift, and J-will have already been injured

The other J-Will could run over a bulldozer without getting hurt

I guess as long as he’s not sitting up in the box doing his best Jeffrey Toobin impersonation.

There goes my FF playoffs. Dang…swift

1 Like

Calling time outs and stuff !

I think Lions fans are going to like him long term. He deserves more carries.

I was big on J-Will but Jefferson is a nice consolation prize.

Just wait until the kid gets more opportunities. He’s going to shine.

2 Likes

As for DC calling the plays the rest of the season.

Yes it’s ego driven. But at this point he might as well just keep doing it. It’s clear he needs the practice and hopefully it makes him a better coach down the road.

At least he can admit he shouldn’t have ran in the 3rd and 32 situation. Even he now realizes how bonehead that was.

So hopefully he will keep making bonehead calls and learning from them.

As for Lynn - Dan should do the right thing and let Lynn go so that he can have the extra time to search out a new job. I don’t see anyway that Lynn is back at this point.

It would have been nice to see what Staley or Brunell could have done. Especially if they were a candidate to take over. Obviously their not or they should have been given the opportunity to do so.

I see it as Lynn is gone and we won’t be promoting from within. So Campbell might as well take over the play calling and learn from it. He clearly needs it.

I think you may be right, bro. I think he will contribute, if he can stay healthy. I think he runs pissed too. He can be a contributor. Not gonna lie, I had doubts early on, but thinking he may have a shot. Seems to have decent speed, with a nice burst…aand high effort.

That said, J-will would beat his ass and take his lunch money. :wink:

I know you know that too…just having fun.

Has Lynn requested this? I haven’t read anything that he has. If he’s not requesting it, how is it the right thing?

Campbell is a rookie HC, he will make plenty of decisions that don’t work out. The really important thing is whether he learns, adjusts and improves his decision making off the back of it. Same goes for Holmes.

I’m giving them a pass for everything this year. They took over a clownshow and have been fighting the fires started by the previous regime - abysmal defense and chasing Stafford away. In fairness, the hire of Aaron Glenn seems to be addressing the first problem very nicely. It was also smart to not hand out any long deals in free agency, and overall it looks like they drafted well.

The big issue for me is the game management/admin. 12 men on the field and problems getting the calls in and communicated on time and to everyone being such consistent problems suggests a lack of clear thinking on the sideline. That can’t run into next season.

The playcalling is unimaginative but I think that’s simply because the WR room is full of scrubs who Goff can’t trust to get open or win 50/50s. Goff has been poor but it has to have been tough to build chemistry with the lack of talent and changes at WR. It looks like Lynn will be gone but the offense should be a different proposition anyway with some genuine talent at WR.

I’m thinking Lynn already has a HC offer from another team. Most likely a college team. He’s getting paid and I’m sure doesn’t mind give that duty up. Dan is getting the play calling experience and I’m sure he’s picked up some things from Sean Payton. He is a former TE himself and should know some plays as well as from Mark Brunell, Staley, and others.

1 Like

Same ole shit , were a winless team yet are Coaching is great, are GM is great and are new QB is great . The only thing holding us back is getting there guys.

Mmm we’re have I heard this all before ?

You know, that’s a good point. He was connected to some college openings. Part of me thinks that the play-calling has more to do with coaching up Goff, but I could absolutely see this being an OJT situation with the outgoing coordinator providing an extended transition.

Several of you are simply stating your opinions…. Just like I do more so than not….

DC calling plays is not ego driven…. Wishful thinking for some

DC is mot magically isolating the other coaches in the offensive side of the ball and calling plays all by himself?! It’s collaboration with him having final say

Let’s get honest with the whining about “winless”…. It’s a stupid perception to hang your hate hat on folks! The difference between us and any team with five win or less is nill or infinitesimal imho!

And it’s all speculation about the OC. Of DC can learn, so can Lynn! Maybe he stays and maybe he doesn’t…. We simply don’t know and anything else is you guessing about the narrative

I want a win Sunday!
I want Josh Reynolds to Light it up
I want our RBs without Swift to light it up
I want our defense to continue to hold opponents like the vikes under 19 points!

And I hope this all happens

If it doesn’t? I’ll go cut the grass!! :crazy_face::+1::heart::pray::upside_down_face:

In the end I love you guys!!

3 Likes

I think the Vikings are the best (and healthy?) team the Lions will have faced with DC doing the play calling. Plus there will be zero weather concerns. Should be interesting to see how the Vikings decide to deal with the Lion emphasis on the running game.

Do they go Ravens against the Browns and load the box and try to force them to pass the ball? Will Reynolds make a difference if they do it? Reynolds and Goff probably have more of a rapport than with anyone else on the roster.

Will the Lions have more than 100 yards of total offense in the first half?

I agree with your take. The Lions have enough depth at RB to weather the storm for the next 6 games with Williams, Jefferson, Godwin I, and possibly even Craig Reynolds waiting in the wings.

3 Likes

I have a problem with a HC with no real OC experience calling plays. I mean, it’s okay at lower levels, I guess, but at the highest level you want someone that can understand the synergy of what your offense can do as well as what the players themselves can do, and not learn some of that DURING a game.

If Lynn can’t do it, and it appears he can’t, then you go to someone on the offensive side of the ball that shows success with their group.

Now it makes more sense why boyle never really passed, because DC didn’t really know what the kid could do. He has a good arm, call some pass plays that can show that off.

I am not a fan of this logic. Its saying that Dan shouldn’t be calling plays because he’s never called plays before…but he should turn over playcalling to someone who hasn’t called plays before. Meanwhile, our DC has never called plays before either.

I’m okay with what he’s done, considering the alternatives. Leave each coach in their current positions and assume the playcalling duties in a lost season. This is in lieu of reshuffling the entire deck on the fly, to replace one guy. What I like about it is it gives Dan some real perspective on the challenges that face the team…personnel wise. Its easy to say “you should have done this” to an OC but when you’ve actually been in that situation trying to call plays with our personnel group and were faced with the same situation yourself…it gives some perspective.

2 Likes

I think you are exaggerating here. Most people don’t think are coaching is great. I think most would agree Aaron Gleen and Aubrey Pleasant are doing an outstanding job considering what they have to work with. I believe Duce Staley and Hank Fraley are showing to be excellent hires as well. Dave Fipp also appears to be doing a good job with ST’s. I think Campbell has shown to be in over his head as times and has obviously shown he needs to grow a lot more as a coach. Their are many things about Campbell though that make me believe he will and he has me excited for the future. The rest of the coaches are still question marks at best, although I also like the job Kelvin Sheppherd has done.

As far as Holmes, you can’t judge a GM off of one season, good or bad. He did one hell of a job finding capable UDFAs. He also missed on things like the Benson trade and signing Perriman. There has been no move made by Holmes that makes me think he has no shot at future success, and there is nothing that he has done that has me convinced of future success. The Goff trade got us quite a bit of draft capital and was a worthwhile shot to take. I personally would not have made the move because I was never a fan of Goff, but I get it.

We were predicting a top 3 pick as soon as we knew Stafford was gone, yet somehow we are surprised by the outcome?

2 Likes

As far as Campbell calling plays the rest of the season, I am good with that. This is a wasted season regardless. Lynn should not be here next year so why let him finish the season calling plays? He may not want to give Duce or someone else a shot because he realizes there is no time to implement changes he may want to make and with this roster the way it is, he would be setting him up for failure. Let Campbell take the heat for bad calls and terrible production, he has shown he can take that blame. Let him learn what it means to be a play caller so he can more accurately access future candidates. This is a wonderful learning experience to be had for him and I am glad he is taking advantage of it rather then letter Lynn handle it when we know he isn’t the answer.

2 Likes

I doubt Parcells did it to his very first OC hire mid way through his first season as HC, when he had NEVER called plays, or been a Cood. at any level - then proceeded to deliver WORSE results against crappier teams, then doubled down with “he’s learning” and will continue for the rest of the season. Could be wrong though.

1 Like