DE vs DT

So your ok paying Jones 29 mil that’s what he made in 2023 for 68% of the snaps? See what I mean about twisting to suit who you want. You try to make a opening say for Jones an mask the numbers Comish Cap Hit 2023 $2,300,000 55% snaps versus Jones? 68 %

That,s a bad stretch even for you. Now in 2024 $6,300,000 for Comish an you know Jones new deal will be in the 20 Mil range. Now I will be fair an not twist numbers we can keep Comish under his contract an if we sign in FA better or draft an find we think the players are better he can be released maybe even trade with less than 2 mill cap hit. We don’t need to release him early .

Houston is a ERFA this season so he will be on team an we will see how his injuries hurt his play or he is same or better.

Denico Autry is 34 years old no more retirement packages from Lions. You could take the 9 mil an add two years an get a good edge for 3 years at 15mil( example )D.J. Wonnum 4 years 60 mil take the 9 mil off his LOL.
Three OG’s I would like over Jackson if he asks for to much.
Robert Hunt
Daniel Bellinger
Damien Lewis

Edge and DT, my friend. The Run Stop win rate is of our linemen and isn’t all that swift, but as a defensive whole (off-ball LBs and S’s and CB’s included) we’re getting it done.

My point about the pass is when we’re as horrible in air yards given up, offenses might not be as committed to the run. Also, if we’re playing with a lead they may HAVE to abandon the run.

@Air2theThrown i promise you this. NFL organizations and college programs aren’t paying many thousands of dollars for people in India to grade film. They’re doing it for a reason, they find value in it.

What are you on?

Jones plays “73%” of snaps and quadruples, sacks, pressures, and QB hits.

Yes a guy who plays slightly MORE accomplishes WAY MORE- code cracked sir!!!

Why on earth would you pay a slightly above average OG nearly 17M per?

I’m soooo glad you don’t have the keys homie.

Watch.

• a defensive FA will get 14M plus

• we will draft an IOL and WR early

• we will sign back Jackson and Glasgow

Are you sure about that? If you look at Brian Burke’s explanation of run block win rate, he animates a sample play showing when each player gets a run block ‘loss’. Clearly, there is a safety tagged with a loss. Going by that video, run block win rate is for the whole team.

On the other hand, he introduces the topic as a measure applicable to the trenches. So its clear as mud.

@Mongoose
NFL teams aren’t paying for it. They are comped it for free as part of the sponsorship program. Most coaches laughed at the data before the NFL partnered with them as a sponsor.

NFL teams have their own analytics departments along with run and passing game coordinators who are paid millions of dollars per team per year to formulate data they can trust. They wouldn’t do that if they trusted PFF’s data as the gospel.

PFF is a making money off the media and fans not the NFL.

Depends on which of their rankings you look at. I provided a link in my statement that showed Alim at 29th by them.

One is an individual stat and one is a team stat. Neither are meaningless. They both are a measuring stick.

The Lions stack the box to stop the run by overloading their front 7. They do this because they can’t stop the run with a 4 man front. They sacrifice their back end DB’s to handle the pass game on their own because they want to stop the run.

Alim is 80th among starting DT’s in tackling. Which isn’t very good considering there’s backup DT’s who have better stats in this dept. once again this is an individual stat not a team stat.

1 Like

I posted this up above, he is definitely 6th per PFF.

DE, I am tired of how few times we get sacks, and Josh Pa isn’t shat…HE doesn’t do enough. also tired of how damn hard Hutch works to get to a QB, when we don’t always have pressure from the other side our defensive linemen rush up and try getting a sack. we got a legit guy opposite side of Hutch…that means our opponents NOW have to account for BOTH and it will take a lot of pressure off Hutch and he should get more sacks-then to.

Maybe I assumed too much.
I seen individual DT grades, individual Edge grades and then assumed what I thought was combined DT & Edge grades by team. So, when there were not individual winners… yet knowing that we have a great YPC grade… and knowing the style of defense we play at the line, which emphasizes containment… and knowing that we’re keeping our off-ball LBs clean for the most part so they can play the ball-carrier… it doesn’t shock me that much.

Colinsworth has repeatedly been on record saying that the biggest bucket of PFF revenue is from college and pro teams.

Have you ever actually seen PFF or XOS? I’m not talking about what they provide to the fans. I’m talking about what they provide to teams

YEs, that makes sense. Yet, ranking second as a team in rushing YPG and ranking 31st as a team in run stop win rate is quite a discrepancy. I guess it would make more sense if we could see run stop win rates for our LB’s and DB’s. They would have to be among the leagues best.

Or… just as PFF graders are fallible, who is defining a “win” at ESPN?

But, point taken, - the discrepancy arises at the expense of pass D.

The one that is an individual stat is also rolled up as a team, so its also a team stat. But true - “meaningless” was probably an overstatement. They do measure different things. Although its tough to mis-measure “yards”. The ESPN guys who measure a “win”? Certainly a more subjective measure.

The disagreements in the “charted stats” are absurd. For instance the difference in pressures between outlets can be downright silly.

PFF had Levi down for ten pressures last year. At least I assume Rogers got the number from PFF. PFR has him down for 2.

So his pressure rate is either approximately 11.4% or approximately 2.3%. :laughing:

1 Like

that’s mind blowing. but i have seen other less egregious disagreements for sure.

As for team stats, I’m kind of partial to DVOA. At least they try to validate everything with predicted wins for a team. And they have the data (at least as of a couple years ago) that shows that the DVOA rankings predict team wins better than ‘yards’ or 'td’s or whatever other metric you like.

2 Likes

I also think we just have way too many stats and metrics in pro sports now.

Football and baseball especially. Turn on the film. Can the guy make plays? Can he tackle? Does he have game speed?

Fans and to an extent sports media have become so obsessed with pff scores, 40 times, and arm length…:laughing::joy: It’s out of control IMO

There is a metric to support everyone’s angle it seems.

Just look at Hutch… those tiny arms are holding him back. :laughing:

I have but nothing recently. The last time I saw a print out it was during the Schwartz years. That’s when my friend worked in NFL analytics. I known a fair amount about how it all worked at the time and have spoke to him about what it does in the NCAA currently. It hasn’t changed much but I do know in 2021 they started customizing data for each NFL team. I haven’t seen en example of that yet. I’m sure if I wanted I could get a print out today through my contacts.

McNeil could miss the tackle or get blown off the ball and get a negative win rate but a LBer could fill the gap and stop the run for little to no gain. A positive as a unit but a negative for McNiel.

So to look at the team and say we did a good or stopping the run we held are opponent to less than 50 yards is a true statement. But if you said McNiel did a good job today because we held our opponent to 50 yards that could be a false or true statement. You then look at McNeil and see he had one tackle all game. None for a loss and zero sacks and suddenly you can’t say McNeil had a good game.

For me I see an inconsistent player and the stats definitely support what I see.

1 Like