DE vs DT

Baseball is the best case study for the strengths and weaknesses of analytics. It works splendidly in pitcher-batter situations bc there just aren’t that many variabilities. But more team focused aspects like fielding run into some complications.

And I’m not talking about decision making as much as analytical tools being used to rate performance.

Furthermore I think it was clear that we sold out to stop the run. This statistical quirk fits that as well.

I hope we get a Stewart or Reader type of NT and can then can be less all in on the run. Stewart in particular as he’s so damn rangy as is evidenced by a 4 tackle per game average over the last two years.

1 Like

Both those guys are 2 and 3 on my list if we don’t go after Wilkins. I think finding a reliable veteran on the interior is paramount. Nothing against the player, but with a veteran addition and Martin hopefully developing, Benito isn’t on the 53 man roster in 2024.

1 Like

That could also be a ‘neutral’ as a unit - one loss for McNeil (-1), one win for a LB (+1), neutral (0) for the team. In fact, if the LB did not shed a block, it could even be a negative as a unit (-1 and 0) = -1. Speculative, yes, because we don’t know how they aggregate individual scores to come up with a team score.

Agree that you can’t compare a team performance to an individual performance. No brainer. But I wasn’t doing that.

Agreed. But trending right.

We really really need a guy like that.

1 Like

Better read what people say I never said that about a OG that was jersey how it got in mine i am not sure. Now the stats are from OTC not that PFF Now watch your tone asking what i am on an crab like that is not needed you want to understand what i posted ask but keep that BS mouth out of the post. Some of yours make me wonder but I ignore that comments on what anyone is on.

By the way I am on zero an you should be so lucky at my age.

I know what you mean but I don’t think they are interested in the short NT they want that big body like NT but not like some we may think of. They want that big body but tall. Martin is type just green lacks experience. The old DT that retired name escapes me from Rams is the body type they want.

Reader is on lower edge of what they wan IMO * Height: 6’3" * Weight: 327
Stewart is more size they want * Height: 6’5" * Weight: 295

Fair my apologies.

Why does it matter that Denico is turning 34? He’s coming off back to back amazing years, and was just coached by our new DL coach and knows the scheme. He’s coming off season very comparable to what Brian Burns produced.

I think he’s the perfect player for Paschal to learn DE/DT role as Autry has been a 285 pound stud on two different teams.

I don’t think J Jackson will cost more than 8M per-I think GG will cost about 6m per?

Alim is a solid player, but he’s not the answer at DT. No one even noticed he missed all those games. Brodric is extremely intriguing. Brad has to sign a FA at one of the positions of need CB/DT/DE, and hope he hits on his draft picks.

I’ll give u that Alim can disappear at times. But we had 9 or 10 defensive lineman on the 53 man roster most of the year.

It’s Hutch… then Alim. 1… 2… they are the only 2 that actually make plays and impact the game.

Then we have about 7 or 8 roster spots for far weaker players than could use upgrades. I only see 2 starters on the current roster.

The rest of them include…

Charles Harris
Julian
Cominsky
Romeo
Benito
Buggs … already gone
Bromart
Levi

Most of those dudes are backups on most teams if we are being honest here.

Maybe Paschal can make an impact next year. The rest are mediocre at best

2 Likes

He is absolutely part of the answer though. There are less than a handful of one-man answers at DT league-wide.

2 Likes

Alim is really good. And he’s just good enough to be in the “do we really want to allocate ____ ?” camp. Tough call incoming with that one I think. Especially if we have another great draft. If so decisions will only get tougher from a talent standpoint.

1 Like

Hopefully he will make it obvious this year.

1 Like

And I’m totally coming at FA from the perspective of most every edge getting franchised. Perhaps this year will be different.

Same here, outside of maybe Chris Jones because of how high his number is going to be, although I still think they tag him. Allen and Burns are definitely getting tagged

Alim is already a top 10 3T in the NFL, IMO. Another offseason and working on his physique and he can take another step next season.

If Alim has 10+ sacks next year I would not be shocked. He had 5 while missing 4 games.

3 Likes

Especially if he gets some more help along the DL. When he got back from injury the DL was better. He is a good player.

1 Like

That’s not what i mean. You’re twisting my words. He’s solid like I said, but this team still needs a good DT. That’s why we’re all hoping for one.

How can I twist your words if I’m quoting you?

You said he’s not the answer, I said he’s part of it.

There is no such thing as a one-man answer at DT. Not since Vince Wilfork or maybe Ngata. But even then, they’re just making life work for guys like Seymore or Suggs.

1 Like

Chris Jones is basically a one man answer for KC

3 Likes