DeAndre Hopkins To Be Dealt Soon

DEANDRE HOPKINSWR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

hopkins

Cardinals released DeAndre Hopkins.

Hopkins still looked like a worthy No. 1 target last year, going for 64/717/3 in nine starts after a PED suspension. It’s surprising that the Cardinals couldn’t find a single taker for him, even on a $29 million cap number. Arizona will save some cap space on the transaction. Hopkins will be able to shop his services to teams directly now, and has been tied at various points this offseasons to contenders like the Bills and Chiefs as well as WR-needy teams like the Titans. The fantasy fallout of this for Hopkins could ultimately be positive news. It also elevates the fantasy stock for Arizona’s other wideouts, who figure to draw more targets in Hopkins’ absence. Hollywood Brown, for example, did not clear 61 yards with Hopkins back. He cleared it in five of six games without Hopkins.

May 26, 2023, 1:02 PM ET

YES PLEASE.

2 Likes

Were we on his list of teams? I know he recently came out with a list of teams he’d play for.

Not sure, but he would be crazy to not want to come here.

OK so he didn’t list teams specifically, but he did say he wanted to play with a specific sort of QB: “A QB who loves the game, a QB who brings everybody on board with him and pushes not just himself but everybody around him.” Then went on to list Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Mahomes, Herbert and Lamar, shocker.

So we’ll see how high we are on his list, I suppose.

He has some demands. He wanted a stable organization with a legit QB and a solid defense. People on a POD podcast were making him out to be a diva for requesting this. What 30+ year old WR who has played at the top of his game for a long time, but never won anything meaningful wouldn’t be looking for that?

I personally would do what we can to sign him. I just don’t think he is in the Lions plans.

Him on the outside with Jamo and St Brown in the slot would be special.

I don’t think it would be a stretch to say we would have the best WR group in the league. We would definitely have the best group of weapons overall when adding in LaPorta, Mitchell, Gibbs and Montgomery.

1 Like

My money’s on Buffalo. He’s doing his offseason training in Toronto right now, the Bills are desperate for a WR just like him, and they’ve been flirting with each other all offseason.

2 Likes

Post of the day ^

1 Like

Isn’t it from like a month ago?

I wonder if Buffalo is big enough to handle the ego of Diggs and Nuk???

1 Like

Lol yep but I just saw it for the first time

So post of my day at least

2 Likes

Post of the spring

1 Like

I think Nuk’s less of a problem in that respect than Diggs, he’d be happy to be there. And with as much as they throw it - and with as much as I think they’ll curb Allen’s rushing - there should be plenty of balls to go around.

1 Like

Buffalo is supposed to be his preference

1 Like

Yea, I saw where he was asked his preferred top 5 QB’s

Allen was number one and he listed Mahomes, Hurt, Lamar, Herbert maybe . . . but Goff wasn’t listed and neither was Kyler Murray, lol.

1 Like

I’m sure teams were requiring the Cardinals to pay too much of his salary to get a late round pick to make it worthwhile for the Cardinals to trade Hopkins.

Salary cap is real.

4 Likes

I think it would be tough to make Buffalo work unless they really kick some money into the future. They are barely under the cap right now so they have to clear about 10mil in cap space just for the season. They are already over the 2024 cap and have significant FA’s.

Micah Hyde
DaQuan Jones
Ed Oliver
Gabe Davis
AJ Espenesa
Dane Jackson
Jordan Phillips

I dont see the Bengals, Eagles, or Ravens as a fit. All three have already invested heavily in their WR group. Honestly, the best fit is probably KC. They are desperate for a #1 WR and they are in a decent cap situation beyond this year so they can afford to push some money into future years.

Right, plus they want to lose as much as possible this year. Hopkins was never gonna be on their roster this season, and other teams knew that.

3 Likes

But they may do exactly that if they think their window is right now, which I suspect they do.

Would be cool to have him on the cheap but that ain’t happening let some other team get let down and mess up their cap. Could be a walking injury coming off PEDs as well.