Denzel Mims waived, Lions keep conditional pick

Could be a cheap option

We’re 5 deep, counting Jamo. We have 4 young guys in development, now a 5th.
ARSB, Marv, Kalif, and Josh, all have game.
Gibbs has been playing WR all camp.
We have 3 TE’s who are receiving threats.
And, we have Monty who is a receiving threat out of the backfield.
I don’t see a reason to spend crazy money on a top flight receiver.

4 Likes

Or, as it was with Mims. your own team mate.

1 Like

St Brown is the only starting caliber wr in that group, them guys are not scaring any defense. And Gibbs hasn’t play a NFL down. we may be in for another slow start.

2 Likes

Yeah, we need to add a guy.

I hope Brad is really on this with draft capital on the table. They need to add a stud, seems to me. And we haven’t likely seen all our injury woes at WR for 2023.

I hope so. We all hope to see a much-improved D, but the Lions’ O needs to be the strength of this team. And we have exactly one proven above-average pass catcher in ARSB. Otherwise we’re counting on Jamo and two rookies (Gibbs, LaPorta) to elevate our passing game. I love Gibbs, in particular, but it’s risky to place THAAT much faith in “promise.”

If it were me, I’d be thinking hard about how I could reasonably acquire at least one vet WR good enough to push Leaf and Reynold one rung down.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more, but I’m more concerned with just pushing the aging MJJ (who I like as a person, and loved during his previous stint here) down the depth chart.

1 Like

I hear that. But I’m thinking that Jones is effectively our #2, that a new starting WR would push Leaf or Reynolds out of the starting lineup, not Jones. But who knows. I hope we get to find out!

I hope so too! But I think it’s highly unlikely considering they chose the bargain bin.

1 Like

Evans is 30yo… and in the final year of his contract.

They would be crazy to NOT trade him given their situation.

Kenny G??? Joking.

But you are conflating the ideal best picture move with the motives of decision making individuals. They often pull in opposing directions.

Agreed. Nothing has changed honestly. Maybe bring in another Mims type but the top 5 has not changed.

1 Like

If they wanted someone with some experience

But, is “Hollywood” a fit for the team and locker room? Somehow, I doubt it.

2 Likes

Marvin Jones is a starting caliber outside WR. Everything’s gonna be fine at the WR position as long as ARSB stays healthy.

But I’m also on the optimistic side with Jamo so if you are not, I understand wanting to add another starting caliber WR.

4 Likes

Making room for Chase Cota. :sunglasses: :grinning:

1 Like

Maurice Alexander maybe he’s got a lil Drummond/Agnew in him we could keep him around as a gadget guy and kick returner?

1 Like

We waived Tom Kennedy for that… :slight_smile:

true… but if the owner doesn’t realize a fall off is going to happen following Brady’s retirement… Licht and Bowles are toast no matter what….

I think Licht’s best chance is to sell the tank for a QB…
or at least tank for assets to build up a roster that draws a future hall of fame QB to choose them.

Flip side of the owner coin is they worry about attendance. Hence they’re not typically huge on waiving the flag prior to week one.