Detroit Lions’ Dan Campbell on taking over playcalling: ‘I’m growing at it’

Running is a conservative mentality that keeps you close. It’s a responsible approach that protects your “can’t make mistakes” mantra. It’s hard to tell the team that the game will be won if they don’t make mistakes, and then put them in a low-percentage play in which a mistake is almost a guaranteed outcome.

1 Like

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

He’s an experienced coach who has had success in multiple locations. He’s called plays for multiple teams and had plenty of success as a coach. He’s well respected in the league and that’s why he’s been a HC, assistant HC, and interim HC along the way.

Here’s his resume as a coach.

As a coach:

It’s really simple. Either Dan hired the wrong guy or he has trust issues. Take your pick both look bad and both fall back on him.

Also note he admits he’s learning to call plays. It’s obvious he sucks at game management. It’s also obvious that game management mistakes have been getting worse since he started calling the plays.

So why is it a good idea that he took over for Lynn?

Lynn is nothing more than the escape goat for the teams poor performances. What’s his excuse now?…. I’m inexperienced and learning he claims.

He may have both, but I’m still convinced his playcalling is more about coaching up his QB than anything.

His own word are that it’s to protect his QB.

Which is easy to understand based on how much pressure the QB has been under.

However I’d argue his conservative play calling has made it easier for teams to pin their ears back and get after the QB. I’d argue it’s made things harder not easier on him. Coaches are agreeing with me and that’s why Dan is taking so much heat for his approach.

There are better ways to scheme to protect your QB. Especially against a strong pass rush. Id argue that running into the teeth of the defense isn’t the best approach and that’s why no one else does it to the extent we do it. That’s why Dan is under fire.

You agree but pull something out of your butt in an attempt to not agree?

In the last 3 games we had a chance to win all 3 at the end. In Lynn’s last 3 games we had no chance to win at the end.

You don’t have many friends in real life, do you?!?..my guess is not. LOL

To those defending Campbell for the 3rd and 32 draw play:

If they get 10-15 yards there, they’re in field goal range.

The complaint isn’t that they didn’t go for the first down. It’s that they didn’t even bother trying to get into field goal range, which was MUCH more manageable with a defense in prevent.

It’s completely asinine that an NFL head coach would surrender right there.

1 Like

Truth!!!
That’s what I see too.
Gotta upgrade the position.

I was going to ask “what position” then I realized the correct answer is “all of them.”

1 Like

LOTS of them, for sure.
We’re all set at Tackle and Punter. LOL

Some people get it.

And like I’ve pointed out theres way more good things that can come from going for it than not. But apparently I’m pulling that out of my butt.

Like a holding call, a completion or a PI for example.

But running it in that situation is a losing mentality.

I honestly can’t believe there are posters defending that decision.

Dan has had to defend his decision making each week lately at some point you have to stop giving him the benifit of doubt and have to stop making excuses.

1 Like

Mere hours later in the Dallas/LV game, Vegas got a PI throwing it deep on 3rd and long after a sack.

That’s why you don’t surrender with a draw.

Bill Parcells did it in ‘99 with the Jets. He took play calling duties from Weis because he said he wanted to reset the balance of the offense. Rick Mier had taken over at QB and Parcells said he wanted to get a feel for his QB. Campbell has said similar things about wanting to be in communication with Goff.

1 Like

Faced with the same situation, we threw the ball.

I’ve been trying to be patient with DC. He has a good out-look and is motivating and I knew he’d have a lot to learn on the fly…but not this much. I didn’t like Lynn’s playcalling, it obviously didn’t align with what DC wanted but I’m miffed by what DC really is trying to do…and I didn’t think he’d try to take-over the playcalling, it feels like almost micro-managing but he’s now trying to do the job of OC and HC, neither of which he’s done before.
Again though, he had us in a position to win again but the defense let us down.
How many games have we lost on the last drive of the game?..at least 4!!!

Earlier in the game they had two other opportunities and they didn’t–one of which would have needed a mere 10-15 yards to get into FG range.

As long as they get us
Josh Allen
Javonte Williams
Jaylen Ramsey
and JT Watt

…I’m good with it!

3rd and 30 is not the same situation.