Detroit Lions’ Dan Campbell on taking over playcalling: ‘I’m growing at it’

I disagree. There are many ways to win. You play to your strengths imo. If you’re rushing for 200 yards/game, 5 yards a carry, that means you’re probably winning the time of possession. The opponents defense is probably tired as well.

The 2020 Tennessee Titans offense comes to mind. Ryan Tannehill had one 300+ passing yards that season. Four games passing under 200 yards. Titans went 11-5 that year making the playoffs.

An elite running game and defense will do wonders for his team.

Definitely agree with this

1 Like

I’ve come to accept that Dan can do no wrong this year. There’s always an excuse for why nothing is his fault.

We all know the team talent is a dumpster fire, add the injuries, the rebuild, etc…but the coach CANNOT be a net negative in game guy, and he is, thats a big fucking problem. I’ll be extemely shocked if Dan isnt fired after next season…he better evolve/be able to coach in game football at even a basic level by next season, or he’s gotta go…and it aint looking good, in fact, he’s gotten worse as the season has progressed.

1 Like

I simply don’t see this.
I’ve not seen anyone say “nothing is Dan’s fault”. Feels like a lot of projection.

Inconclusive…reserving judgement…need more talent…NONE of that stuff means “nothing is Dan’s fault.”

3 Likes

I’m not arguing, man you see what you want to see. All offseason I said this roster looked terrible, and I was told “we need to see them before making judgements.” Ok but this WR group is terrible “nooo Perriman is ready to break out and Tyrell Williams can replace Marvin Jones.” Ok……

This coaching staff is making game day management blunders left and right - noooo can’t judge the coaching because there’s no talent. Well, there’s no talent because the front office is sucking. Noooo the front office is doing great!

I think at a certain point I just have to accept that if you’re still following this team and active on this board - you’re just an eternal optimist and reality is not that important in the equation. Who am I to poop on those rainbows and unicorns? As long as fans are happy with the “progress” of an 0-16-1 team then enjoy :))

1 Like

Well, at least you are not arrogant and deprecating in presentation of your opinion (which is an opinion).

2 Likes

Only on this board is the opinion “the Lions are bad” all that debatable. And while you can stress it’s just an opinion, luckily we do have things like a statistical measure called wins and losses. That statistical measure shows the Lions are in fact bad. However that probably falls under the category of analytics on here which are frowned upon :joy:

Not a big deal brother - enjoy your Thanksgiving. As long as you think this team is on the right path please don’t let me get in the way. I mean that sincerely. This is supposed to be fun.

You don’t see it because it doesn’t exist. Nobody is above criticism on this team NO ONE. Nobody on this forum has hinted at it. NO ONE.

That’s my reality as well

1 Like

I disagree….

There’s an entire thread on it where all I said was that the winless season falls on coaching and a lot of posters came to his defense and blamed it on the talent level and that it’s too soon to tell. He just needs his guys. He’s learning after all and next year will be different. None of that changes the fact that the Lions having zero wins falls on the coaching. The talent level is plenty good enough to win games. The reason we’re winless is solely on Dans shoulders.

For that statement….

I was told I was projecting.
I was called a hater.
I was even told my take was lazy.
It was even said that I must not have watched the game.

None of that is even remotely accurate.

I don’t hate Dan but I have no problem calling him out for his game management mistakes. Or saying that he’s the reason we’re losing football games. I didn’t come to that conclusion lightly and it’s a fair conclusion to make.

More and more fans and media personnel are coming to the same conclusion. In fact I think more are on my side of that argument than not.

Here’s the thread as my proof.

2 Likes

With the sudden increase in game management mistakes recently, I think it would be wise for Campbell to hand playcalling duties back to Lynn so he can focus on being a head coach.

1 Like

I agree…, I really have to question his judgment when he made this decision. He even admits he’s learning on the job. Yet he feels it’s a good idea for him to be calling plays? Especially over an experienced and respected OC.

I question if he has control issues. He clearly doesn’t trust others to do their job.

He doesn’t trust Lynn the guy he hired to make the play calls.

He doesn’t trust his OL to protect his QB so he doesn’t want to take shots down field.

He doesn’t trust his DB’s to do their job so he rushes just 3 DL.

He doesn’t trust his QB and WR’s to make plays on 3rd and long so he plays it safe with a run play.

I worry he is a coach with control and trust issues.

2 Likes

Smart coaches for decades “haven’t trusted” their players to pick up a 3rd and 30.:joy:

It’s a disaster waiting to happen. Its not a normal down.

Try being me in there
g help GIF

Preach!

You can’t disagree. I say what I see, and you dont get to tell me what I see. :wink:
messing with ya, man.
Things to look for…if someone calls you a hater, you can know your own intention and dismiss that quickly.
…if someone says youre projecting, you can look and know “am I upset when I write this?” if you are in a space of peace, you are almost guaranteed to not be projecting.
The amount of effort you put into this stuff, you know you are not lazy.
You know you watched the game.

Translation → It’s good to look at yourself, but if people are just trying to be right and feed their ego, just ignore them. What matters more than what we say is…HOW we say it.

Just because people see many places to lay blame dos NOT mean they are saying the coach has ZERO blame in it. Hyperbolic dramatic languaging. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Dan was a really bad play caller today and last week. He’s not supposed to be the OC. His job is to inspire and prep the guys. Let the coordinators handle the play calling. Get a good OC. Get some talent. Get the cap right and bring in some FAs. ALL TRUTHS. This does NOT mean Campbell is without blame…it means there are many things to consider, and this book isn’t even into chapter one yet.

Just my opinion - Let’s let the truth reveal itself over time.

1 Like

I agree but those same smart coaches don’t consistently run in 3rd and 30 situations either.

1 Like

I will defend a draw play on 3rd and 30 no matter who the coach is.

If you can’t throw the ball more than 40 yards in a half, you’re not going to gain 20+ in the air on 3rd down.

Ever.

Period.

1 Like

Lynn had success at multiple locations as an offensive coordinator? News to me.

I agree with this but I want to address something here.

When we hired Dan many posters including myself voice concerns that he had never been a coordinator.

I dismissed my own concerns because 1) There have been successful HC’s who were never coordinators. 2) Dan wouldn’t be calling plays. He would just be overseeing those who are calling the plays. He can do that right? I convinced myself he could.

Well his lack of trust in Lynn. (A respected and experienced OC) has caused him to take over the play calling. This is a serious red flag. For two reasons. 1) He’s not skilled enough to do so. 2) It shows poor judgement on his part.

I see this as a real issue because I feel that the HC’s without coordinating experience that succeeded did so because they hired the right guys and then trusted them to do thier jobs.

So one of two things happened here. Dan hired the wrong guy or he doesn’t trust his people to do their jobs. Whichever it is it doesn’t look good for Dan.

I respect your opinion. I am a firm believer in giving HC’s more time. I wanted to give Caldwell and Schwartz more time.

However with MP I saw the red flags early on. Unfortunately I see some serious red flags with Dan and I have seriously reservations about him. Those concerns are growing stronger each week.

Honestly I see a HC who is in over his head. I don’t think he’s going to make it. I fear we hired the wrong guy once again.

2 Likes