Detroit Lions’ Dan Campbell on taking over playcalling: ‘I’m growing at it’

How many deep passes have we gotten a call against the defense for Pass Interference?

3 Likes

(just a guess)

1 Like

I want to see Duce call plays. Get multiple RBs on the field and utilize them as creatively as possible.

2 Likes

Have we even gotten 1 all season?

Against us - yes
For us - no

Our trick play/deep ball is 7 yards. Tough to get those when that’s how you show up offensively

1 Like

Is Dan calling all the plays? I could have sworn a few weeks ago he said in the pressor that A Lynn passes the calls to him so he can communicate/relay it to Goff. He may change the call if needed but wanted to communicate with Goff.

1 Like

all I can say is Air there is a really good reason why Lynn is benched. REALLY GOOD. And the man who coached Justin Herbert to succeed as a rookie was coaching Goff to fail as a vet. Lynn is a huge problem and MCDC has been keeping it under wraps all season.

If Dan is fired, we’re going to miss his honesty and accessibility.

1 Like

I feel like Dan is a great man and a good leader, he’s just not very smart and clearly not an X’s and O’s guy. For him to succeed as a head coach, he’s going to need some very good coordinators. Him calling the plays is an experiment that needs to end after this season. Hiring a quality offensive co-ordinator will be so important to the future of the team and will determine Campbell’s fate. We just have no creativity on offense.

2 Likes

EXACTLY

He already missed on his OC. So how many bites of the apple does he get? Obviously more than one…. But I am curious how many good coaches will want to come take this position. They know they’re going to have a short leash, going to get stuck with Goff at QB, and know they won’t have a ton of talent. The OC position ain’t exactly going to attract the best talent.

1 Like

They also know they’re working under a coach that, despite his obvious shortcomings, is one of the more powerful head coaches in the NFL through this “collaborative” front office and the fact that he reports directly to the team VP, not to the general manager.

The passing attack didn’t set us back… 3 penalties and play calling did.

The one pass was a designed play behind the LOS.

There’s a reason why teams pass on what’s considered obvious passing downs.

Teams are stacking the box and crashing the LOS daring us to take shots downfield and we call a dump pass behind the LOS and a draw play. Brilliant!

Only in Detroit is running on 3rd and 32
considered a wise play call.

I disagree. I’ve watched enough football over the years to know when and why a 3rd down draw is called. You watched enough football over the years, too, but you’re just not seeing it right now because it’s Dan Campbell. If we stepped back into 2014 and Caldwell did it, I’m guessing you’d acknowledge the wisdom in it. (Not that we have a QB with a canon on the roster anymore) Ultimately, for both coaches, it’s to stay in the game until the 4th quarter, giving yourselves a chance to win.

Call me crazy, but I just don’t expect the league’s worst air attack to suddenly become the league’s best and convert on 3rd and 32. You can scream that the situation demands it, but that position ignores the personnel you’re calling on to execute it.

4 Likes

It’s a good point you make, but Goff will be gone after next year. Maybe you could sell a potential OC on getting to help choose a rookie QB that he really likes. We do have lots of magic beans coming the next 2 years and a skilled OC might like to be able to groom a rook from day 1. Like how Darrell Bevell really wanted to draft Russel Wilson and that worked out pretty well. Scott Linehan got a rookie Stafford to work with.

1 Like

I love our coach!

I think this thing’s gonna work

1 Like

I really liked him too.

1 Like

Three teams that are among the biggest advocates for analytics… the Ravens, Chargers, and Colts… all lost in week 18 and will watch the playoffs on their couch like all of us.

Each of those teams had 1 or more close games decided by a few points, and some questionable game management decisions were made by the head coaches.

Analytics… kind of overrated.

2 Likes

He really did grow at it. Huge improvements in the offense the last 8 games.

And those trick plays yesterday were a blast to see.

2 Likes

By people who don’t understand them and how they can affect decision making - probably.

To me the dead horse has been beaten. You don’t think analytics add value. Cool. Our brains process differently. I moved on a while ago. I recommend the same.