Now We Know Why Dan Campbell Hasn’t Been A Coordinator

Season 9 Episode 22 GIF by Friends

2 Likes

Insider information…
NO “play caller” would be successful with this offense. Our version of a deep ball is 5 yards or more. Truly one of the worst NFL offenses in the history of the league

5 Likes

9 Likes

LOL

Summarizes being a Lions fan well, it’s a slow painful experience and when the tree finally grows tall enough, the branch will snap off, lol.

1 Like

The analytics didn’t support his coaching decisions today. Kicking that FG on 4th and 1 decreased the Lions chances of winning. As we saw. Earlier in the year some of his aggressive decisions were supported by analytics so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt early on - but it’s becoming increasingly clear the lions coaching philosophy is just based on the whim of a meathead. That’s it. That’s their plan.

1 Like

What’s interesting is this seems to be the overwhelming mantra for the pro-Campbell crowd. It’s like “I know we’re poorly coached but we need more talent!” Ok, then we’ll be a poorly coached team with more talent? That’s our best hope?

a little edit there… to be more specific. :wink::wink::wink:

1 Like

Analytics are only useful when put into context. Anyone who blindly follows analytics proves they have no business calling the shots.

3 Likes

I am pro Campbell. I also feel any team QB’d by Goff/Boyle, with WRs (whoever we roll out that week), and 3rd string center…yeah…

Yes - and Dan was never meant to be the play caller. There are obvious problems with the OC who will be fired, next offseason. Dan will not be the OC, nor was it ever his intent. OF COURSE he’s not a good OC, he’s merely better than the dude we’re firing in the offseason.

Look for massive improvement with a new OC and improved talent.

Just sayin’b

2 Likes

Hired by Dan Campbell btw

I was told multiple times this offseason that this coaching staff was good for 4-5 extra wins over the last one. My point is I find the unfounded optimism to be baffling. Look at Campbell’s first attempt to hire an OC. But now he’ll magically be great at it.

Swift has already ran for more yards than all of last year…

I’m a DC fan, however this coaching staff directly lost us 2 games. Playing prevent against baltimore and minnesota when all it would take is a FG to win.

Then I’d say the chicago game because we didn’t pressure fields until the game was out of hand.

Pittsburg…eh the weather sucked and pitt didn’t want to win it either.

Today. 3rd and 14 and by not passing the ball you’re saying you don’t trust ANYONE in your offense to make a play.

so in my mind we should have 2 wins if not for the coaching staff.

I’m not really sure how this related to the thread? I certainly don’t blindly follow analytics, and clearly Dan doesn’t either since his decisions are all over the map. Was this just sorta a personal rant about analytics in general?

Quit being sensitive. You were talking about NFL coaches and so was I.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. How can I be sensitive when I don’t understand the point you’re making. I think you’re projecting my man. Are you trying to say that by making a decision that the analytics showed hurt the Lions, that it’s somehow justified by some blanket theory about “context?” That’s the best I can figure. The context is that the Lions had 77 yards passing, with a back up QB, and probably weren’t going to get another shot at scoring again. Which they didn’t. 4th and 1 you run it behind Sewell, bleed the clock, score, and make Baker Mayfield beat you through the air.

It’s not a defendable decision either statistically or in context.

I agree… because the “analytics” are NOT based on an undrafted backup QB playing.

Even IF the Lions went for it on 4th down… what percentage do the analytics give that backup QB to actually score the TD???

I just ran my own analytics… and it is overwhelmingly MORE likely that the Lions best chance to win the game was to kick the FG there… get a stop (hopefully a TO to get a short field)… and kick another FG to force OT.

Prove me wrong. Nobody can… because they don’t have enough data on a backup UDFA QBs taking over with a week of reps with team lacking the top 2 WRs to start the season… on the road… in the rain.

2 Likes

Minus Stafford, Jones, Golliday, etc, etc?
Every one of our best guys left…and were replaced with______.

Agree to disagree. By going for it you only need 1 yard to keep the drive going, which is the strength of your offense. You keep grinding the run game, bleed the clock, try and score a TD which is only 25 yards for Boyle to navigate. Then you put pressure on Baker Mayfield to beat you through the air.

With your example you’re saying you want the Lions 30th ranked run defense to stop the Browns rushing attack while being gassed. Then get the ball back to Boyle, and watch him lead a long drive back into scoring position (yea right). Then our brand new kicker has to make a high pressure field goal in the rain. Then, you need to get the ball in OT and have your offense match down the field and score again to get the W.

Again, I’ll take going for it… both in context and with analytics. Just me tho.