Devonta Smith, J'amarr Chase or Jaylen Waddle?

Cool!! I’m good with Waddel at 7 if Smith isn’t there. That speaks volumes. If he is and still choose Waddel I’ll think we made a mistake but be just fine. Predicting how the future will play out between these 3 is pretty close to a dice roll anyway ya cut it.

1 Like

Or Golden Tate

golden tate touchdown GIF by Detroit Lions

Oh I agree with this for sure, but separation is only a part of a WR eval. Tyler Lockett and T.Y. Hilton create more separation than Deandre Hopkins and Julio Jones, and I’m pretty sure everyone here would take the latter two. And Chase isn’t a bad separator, he’s just not an elite one like Smith. Chase is also a damn dawg when the ball’s in the air and a monster after the catch. Like, better than AJ Brown as prospects IMO.

I still love Smith, don’t get me wrong. I was comping him to Jerry Rice back in October and if the decision was mine, I can’t say which way I’d go. Some days it’s Chase, some days it’s Smith. It’s just I don’t think the heavy Smith bias on here (and everywhere else too, frankly) is the way the NFL will see it. It’s understandable given one played and won the heisman while one didn’t, but I still don’t think it’s right.

1 Like

That’s true… They both high point the ball extremely well and win contested catches routinely… They both also have an elite catch radius

At 200 lbs, Tate’s a different body type. He’s built more like a RB.

I honestly don’t know which one I’d want. There’s several guys who are a notch lower, but should be available when the Lions pick at No. 41.

I’m leaning more to Smith because he stepped up in 2020 and played great.

After BMW took a year off and came back a different person/player, I’m a little leery of a guy who missed an entire season.

1 Like

Yep. Totally agree with that. The last time both Chase and Smith played they had two of the greatest college seasons from a WR that I’ve ever seen. Both should be studs.

1 Like

Smith reminds me of Randy Moss as well. I think it’s a great comparison. I really liked Justin Jefferson last year and Smith is a better version of Justin Jefferson in my mind. Smith is my favorite WR in this class for the same reasons Jefferson was in the last class.

Chase is a close second and I think his size makes him a more attractive option. However when he was lined up across from Justin Jefferson I always felt it was Jefferson who the better player.

No way we are trading up for a WR. That would be very SOL.

1 Like

Dear Den Diary,

I’m starting to develop these strange feelings for this WR from Alabama named Devonta. I…I…just don’t know what it is…I think about the #7 pick and he’s the only one I can think about. All day at work and when I’m posting in the Den,…,… His fluid breaks, and dynamic play-making skills just keep running through my mind. I don’t know what this all means, but I feel it…,… I really feel it. I think this could be the one!

2/4/2021

2 Likes

Sounds like your fluid breaks are more of our concern than his there, Schwartzy.

I saw an Andre Rison comparison for Jamarr Chase and thought that was an interesting one.

1 Like

Is Chase’s girlfriend a pyromaniac?

download

That is a cool throwback reference.

A cautionary tale (not every rookie WR is Justin Jefferson):

Ruggs had only 26 receptions for 452 yards with a pair of touchdowns. He also took nine carries for 49 yards and had a pair of fumbles.

It’s worth noting, however, that Mayock singled out Ruggs to say he wasn’t disappointed in the wide receiver.

“We knew how fast he is, but he’s got to get stronger and he’s got to get in and out of his breaks better,” Mayock said in his interview with the team website. “You’ve got to feel him coming out of his breaks more for him to get to the next level. And I think he will. But we’ve got a long-term view on Henry Ruggs.”

Wide receiver Jerry Jeudy led the Broncos in receiving yards during his rookie season, but he didn’t come away from his first year in the NFL feeling satisfied with his production.

The biggest reason for that was the catches that Jeudy didn’t make over the course of the year. He was credited with 10 drops during the season and had five of them in a December game that helped end the campaign on a down note for the first-round pick.

“No. Not even going to lie, I’m going to tell you, because I feel like I could be — I hold myself to a high standard,” Jeudy said. via USAToday.com. “I feel like the standard I played at my rookie year wasn’t the standard I’m used to playing at. I feel like mostly because all those drops. If I hadn’t had those drops, I probably would be satisfied with my season, but having the drops hurt me.”

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike

19h

Let’s revisit the time Ja’Marr Chase beat up a CB who was 3 years older, 5 pounds heavier, and is currently starting in the NFL

Link: https://twitter.com/i/status/1361767875397234688

Looks like Chase’s getting held or interfered with on almost every play.

Not surprised to see Smith here but kind of surprised to see Toney rank so high.

Dyami’s number is impressive to me bc he made a lot of highly contested downfield catches

Not sorry for the bump as this is going to be a valid discussion up till draft day. Just didn’t want to start a new thread. Ran across this article and thought it was worth sharing. For me, I can’t really decide. I just put the Bama guys as 1a and 1b.

I’ve been leaning Waddle for quite awhile.