Devonta Smith, J'amarr Chase or Jaylen Waddle?

The more I watch both of them, the more I come away with thinking Smith is the better receiver.

2 Likes

Originally I was for Chase but now I’m leaning towards Smith.

Smith is such a great route runner and changes direction so smooth and fast he stresses the dbs EVERY single play. Completely took over some games for Alabama.

Chase is more like Galladay he doesn’t get separation but wins when the ball is in the air. However he doesn’t have Galladay’s height. I can envision Chase as a big slot like Keenan Allen with the two speedsters Williams and Perriman on the outside.

When I mentioned Chase as a big slot similar to Allen to my friend he said what about my guy Pitts as a big slot. I told him it would be unorthodox but maybe it could work. They would be missing a shifty wr though.

Smith, Chase, Waddle. Waddle is going to Waddle in the NFL. I give him 3 years.

One of Keenan Allen’s biggest strengths is that he gets consistent separation. So if you say Chase can’t separate, then he also can’t be Keenan Allen.

1 Like

Thats true and I did think about that. He has Allen’s physicality but not his route running. Thats something he would have to improve upon.

I do have Smith ahead of him though.

I’d like any of the Big 3, but I gotta go with DeVonta Smith simply because he has the best WR nickname since Megatron: “The Slim Reaper”.

3 Likes

Chase = poor man’s Megatron. The full package of size, speed and catching ability.

Smith = The surest to be very good to great in the NFL of the three, to me. He just gets being a WR. Runs fantastic routes, is extremely sure-handed, and is fast enough. The question mark on him is whether his slight body can stand up to an NFL beating. But it stood up to an SEC beating pretty good, and that’s somewhat close.

Waddle = The one I have the least feel for. More of a high-risk, high-reward to me.

2 Likes

Of the 3 I want Chase but likely gone next would be Waddle

Listen to are HC he wants WR that get open an separation he said that yesterday
Waddle gives that double move an he is gone.

Faster than Smith shorter but more compact

We will see but he would be my choice of the 3 if Chase is gone.

I think this regime is going to be very mindful of building our culture.
From a culture/character standpoint Smith is absolutely off the charts. I think the Slim Reaper is the #1 WR on our board.

I think all three are terrific though.

4 Likes

I think it’s interesting how the history was originally written. When people remember Tua they think about that game winning pass in overtime as a true freshman to win the national championship. Tua got the main credit and the receiver was kind of an afterthought. That receiver was Devante Smith, who smoked the defense. Which is something Devante Smith did alot over the next few years.

4 Likes

I feel like J.Chase is the Spartan Charles Rogers, but a little more head strong. He’s going to be what Charles should’ve been.

Yep. I was actually just about to post about that catch. No moment is too big for him. He’s the kind of guy that’s polite and respectful to you as he’s absolutely embarrassing you on the field. Interestingly enough our last two big skill position stars were the same way. Dude is an assassin.

1 Like

I think I am almost to the point that I will be disappointed if we don’t go WR if one of these guys is sitting there at 7.

Barring a great trade back, or someone falling to 7 that never should have

1 Like

He is. But…

But what?

He’s skinny, emaciated, bony, frail-looking, one missed meal from the grave, gaunt, a drink of water, and wispy in addition to some admirable qualities.

1. Smith great production, excellent route runner, great character, never takes plays off. Skinny, but didn’t miss a game, because of injury and uses his size as a chip on his shoulder to be better.
  2. Chase great production and size, but occasionally took plays off then took a whole year off.
  3. Waddle fast, injured ankle, production not that great especially for someone who is as talented as he is.

Steve Smith made a hall of fame career out of exactly that.

2 Likes

So just like Marvin Harrison. A difference being that Marvin played in a more physical time in the NFL.

2 Likes

Talk about the Slim Reaper that way at your own peril

2 Likes