Did WFT already let their new name leak?

If they switched to the Porkbellies, they could.keep the Hogettes rooting section

The Washington admirals are a Quiddich team. Not a joke.

1 Like

Is America the only place that has animals/icons attached to their team name?

Soccer/Futbol doesn’t have animals or people in their team names.

European Pro Basketball - none

Russian Pro Hockey - none

Indian Cricket Premier League - does have mascots in team name (only one I’ve found)

Maybe there are more premier sports leagues that follow our American trend, but it seems to be unique to our pro sports leagues.

Being semi-serious….

Washington Warthogs…. After the Aircraft

4 Likes

The Washington Distractions!

Mascot- Johnnie Cochrane!

4 Likes

Actually most of them have nicknames, they just never made them an official part of the name like we did. They got them organically like our early college football and baseball teams (hence Red Sox, Crimson Tide, etc…).

Everton FC are known as the Toffees because the fans would smell all the toffee from the English Toffee makers around their stadium as they walked to the games.

Fulham are the Cottagers for an old cottage that still stands at the corner of their stadium. Arsenal are the Gunners, Totteham are Spurs, Newcastle are Magpies.

A lot of them are really generic. Chelsea are the Blues, Liverpool the Reds, Manchester City are the Citizens, Aston Villa are the Villans, Wolverhampton are the Wolves.

In Italy they tend to use both colors of the jersey as the nickname. Juventus is the Bianconeri (Black and Whites), Inter Milan are the Nerrazurri (The Black and Blues), AC Milan are the Rossoneri (Red and Blacks).

2 Likes

Why don’t they just change their name to the Hogs?..or would that offend some people.

1 Like

The Washington Post-Ops. Since they had their junk removed by cancel culture.

Or the Washington Eunuchs maybe…

Washing wild weasels!

Another military ac!!

Major league bad word by today’s standards. I’m surprised you haven’t been cancelled already. The proper term is “she” and they’re allowed to compete as girls. Which is fitting since their biggest rival is the cowgirls.

1 Like

The Arizona Cardinals were once the Chicago Cardinals, who used jerseys from the University of Chicago’s team. They were called “cardinal red” jerseys by the owner, hence the name the Cardinals.

yes, i think it would offend people who can’t control their appetite.

I think the same is true of Stanford maybe?

Or piss off all the lycanthropes out there….

Maybe therianthropes?

2 Likes

Why doesn’t any team use Werewolves as a mascot? It seems to fit well; ordinary human beings transformed into rabid, ferocious killers.

Because…

3 Likes

It would just become Wolves anyway, just like the Timberwolves did.

When I lived overseas, all the pro teams were named after businesses instead of the cities. For example, the LG Twins played out of Seoul, South Korea. No mention of Seoul in the team name. If the NFL did that we would be the Ford Lions. Thank god we don’t do that in North America.

1 Like

Exactly. The same reason no one uses Victoria’s Secret Sparkly Body Lotion Vampires as a Mascot

1 Like