Dj chark

Brown is going to be Goff’s goto possession type WR. Chark and Reynolds will be more second level types.

Once Williams comes in he will eat into Chark and Reynolds snap counts and likely out play both.

I think if Chark can get close to 1000 yards then he will get paid and we will let him walk.

1 Like

hm. clever, that.

Then I’d let him walk.

Depends on the timing of the void.

i.e. Romeo Okwara contract voids 02/10/24 and Decker’s contract voids 02/08/25, both of those guys could be tagged if the Lions wanted to tag them.

Of the voidable 2023 contracts that OTC knows about, four are voided after the 03/07/23 franchise tag deadline (Brady, JJ Watt, OJ Howard and Kpassagnon), the other 20 that OTC knows about void before the franchise tag deadline and therefore are eligible to be tagged.

Unless you know the date that Chark’s contract voids?

4 Likes

nice catch… looks like it voids 5 days after the Super Bowl…

1 Like

Ha ha!

Game on!

Any information from Spotrac that doesn’t agree with OTC, I’d take with a grain of salt.

1 Like

It seems we are taking strides forward in depth and talent , we are very flexible on the offense and defense as how we want to use these players and-how , we can now…change them around and decide WHO plays the best and where and become tougher yet. I would say that free agents can see how we move and play and see that our players are multi talented at more than one spot and that gives us advantages we sorely missed espescially-when they are being coached correctly.

1 Like

Assuming everyone is healthy, best case scenario is for Chark to have a great year and then someone else signs him for a gazillion dollars and we get a 3rd round comp pick for essentially a cheap 1 year rental.

Between Williams and St. Brown, there won’t be a ton of receptions to go around for a #3 guy to be paid big.

2 Likes

WTF is a “Super Bowl?”

2 Likes

You mean the way everyone is getting paid.

We have some capable depth guys and ok #3s. Sure would be cool if we could keep 'em all around.

You might be right, but others may also be right… 2 4.3 WRs dictates a different defense than just one of them. If Chark does good, he has a year in the system, and BroHolmes might just decide to keep the magic going, if it works out like that.

1 Like

One thing I haven’t seen anyone mentioned is the money we will have invested at WR. Chark would be the only one making significant money until 2025.

If he shows out this year resign him for sure. Don’t lose what you just built. Sign him to a 4 year deal where by the 3rd season his dead money is low enough to where he can be cut. Let’s assume he has 1,200 yards and 8 TDs this year. I know it’s lofty, but let’s assume.

Offer him 4 years 80mil with 35mil in total guarantees. 10mil signing bonus and guarantee his first two year base salaries. Something like

2023 10mil base 12.5mil cap hit
2024 15mil base 17.5mil cap hit
2025 20mil base 22.5mil cap hit
2026 25mil base 27.5mil cap hit

Can cut him in 2025 and save 17.5mil in cap space if his production is falling off or we need the space to resign St Brown.

I do think there’s a possibility he’s back but I’d be surprised if it is at a high dollar contract.

If he has a mediocre season and is willing to sign another 1 year deal then I think it’s possible.

However my belief is he was meant to be a one year stop gap as we continue to get more weapons and younger weapons at WR.

I just think that’s our long term plan. But I freely admit I could be way off base on this one.

Dan strikes me as the type that if he really likes a guy he will try to keep him but I think they’re playing money ball. Think J. Davis … Dan made it clear he wanted him back but once It was obvious Davis was getting paid by the NYJ we moved on. A year later Davis is back when his contract is cheap.

If Chark has a big year and is getting paid my guess is we move on, continue to get younger, and find another stop gap option if need be.

2 Likes

I don’t think so
IF Chark stays healthy
IF he has a big year
He will go for big $, multiple year contract
That quickly becomes an over allocation of resources to the position group
On a guy who has an injury history

All this assumes Williams stays healthy and proves worth the pick … nothing is certain

2 Likes

I don’t see a scenario where it makes sense to resign Chark. Especially if he has a good season and wants a massive deal. There is a tiny chance he has a decent season where he misses games and we could bring him back on a deal similar to this years. But paying 15-20m per for a WR who is probably the 4th option on the team is a really bad use of the cap.

Chark is purely a rental imo

1. Death
  2. Taxes
  3. Jack Fox

Williams and Ra will be the priority long term…for sure.
If culture is as important to Chark as he says it is, he may sign a team friendly deal.
That said, he’s gonna have to be able to afford gas in this economy, so he may need to go to another team if there’s a big enough pay difference. There will be a tipping point for him.

1 Like

I think this is an important thing to point out. It also sets the example for the WR room. Play at a high level and your team will take care of you.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Dan and Co. seem to want to build a culture where players can showcase themselves and earn their way onto the roster. A quick way - perhaps the quickest even - to ruin that effort is to not take care of your guys that perform at a high level, wouldn’t you say?

4 Likes