DJ mock draft 3.0

Uhhh I’m saying I don’t want Justin Fields…

I don’t like him or feel hes going to be some great Quarterback. When I watch Justin Fields play I don’t see anything special. And his speed and athleticism is what has him in the top 10 conversation. If he ran like Brady, he would not be. That doesn’t meant he can’t pass, it means he would without question be QB5.

1 Like

Oh I forgot where I said my QB I desired was Eli Manning. Smh…

And under your definition of dual threat, Prescott, Hurts, Fitzpatrick, Jones, Rodgers, Murray, Darnold, Wilson, Allen, Tua, Wilson(NYJ), Newton, Burrow, Mayfield, Lamar, Tannehill, Wentz, Watson, Lawrence, Mahomes, Lock, Herbert…are all dual threats. 22/32 starting QBs in the league are labeled as dual threat QBs :joy:…my god. I guess what I said was interpreted as I want a RG playing QB for my team!

Nothing wrong with that. Some of these guys are very protective of their OSU players. Fields and Okudah especially. You can’t criticize them. Constructively or not … lol

OSU ran a single read offense that’s designed for Fields to make one read and if it’s not there to run. That’s why there’s so much talk about him making just one read.

His single read abilities are a legitimate concern.

I honestly think Fields has a big upside but there are legitimate concerns too. He might be a stud and he might be a dud. Where he lands will likely be important to his development. I hope he lands on a team that doesn’t force him into action too soon.

I will take any OSU player aside from QB. And I’m ok with passing on him and he ends up a solid NFL QB. He would be lucky to be as good as Goff someday (and Goff will probably never be a top 10 QB at any point).

It is not a time to draft a Quarterback in round 1. We have ZERO elite players. Let’s get a couple in place, along with a solid cast before we bring a rookie in. The Lions have tried the savior route before. Build the team first. We have the future ammo to get out guy if Goff is not it

2 Likes

Lies.

1 Like

Do you view Trevor Lawrence as a dual threat QB?

Well, I heard there is worse stuff than that with Sewell. Like…MUCH worse. Some teams have even completely taken him off their boards when they found out about this. Its bad dude, like really bad. But I’m not going to tell you what it is, because I don’t want to spill the beans and impact Sewell’s draft stock. I’m not like that. But trust me dude, its horrible!

1 Like

The savior route? You mean drafting Stafford when they went 0-16? That was the single best move they’ve made this millennium. Probably in the last 30 years.

Can someone tell me how one can tell the difference between a QB moving the secondary defenders away from the primary target by looking them off, and going to the secondary target?? Because I sure can’t and I doubt anyone else can either, unless they are in the huddle. Neither McShay, the unnamed Scouts, nor the chart makers are in the huddle so there “could” be a wide disparity in determining who the primary or secondary receiver is.

i’m glad you voiced this, I was wondering the same thing. You really have to know what play was called to determine primary vs secondary etc. receivers. But I was assuming that some special few had access to that info when they watched tape.

I think there are times when certain people can tell. I believe someone like Tony Romo or Peyton Manning when they are breaking down film and are familiar with the route concepts and what the progression on that play appears to be. But like you said, its all speculation unless you are literally a part of that team. I think about the only time you feel that you know for sure someone DIDN’T go thru their progression is when they stare a guy down and throw it into coverage. That’s when the announcers say “that kid has his mind made up presnap on that play.”

Another wrinkle that has been thrown into the equation is the concept of option routes. Someone has brought up the fact that OSU runs option routes.

Yeah and look how it turned out. He got drafted to a shit team and half the fan base thinks he’s trash. Stafford is my all-time favorite player so it’s not like I don’t think he is amazing. But if you surround the savior with trash, I don’t care how good he is, he won’t live up to the hype.

Build the team first, then draft your QB

As far as your other question. If a dual threat QB means a guy is capable of running, then yes, he is along with 21 other starting QBs in the league. That’s not what I think of as a dual threat. But some obviously do referring to Aaron Rodgers as one.

To me dual threat means it significantly makes them a better player. Take away running ability from Rodgers, mahomes, Wilson, Prescott, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mayfield and those guys are still elite or potentially elite without rushing ability.

If dual threat means you are capable of scrambling, that literally 75% of nfl QBs are dual threat

I’m just trying to figure out what it is you hate about Justin Fields, exactly. You seem to hate that he is dual threat, and paraphrasing your terminology dual threat means they aren’t that good if they are in the pocket. Justin Fields ran for less yards than Trevor Lawrence and he did most of his damage in the pocket. He has a higher completion percentage and a higher passer rating. He is also extremely accurate throwing and placing the ball. I bring this up because not a soul in the world thinks Trevor Lawrence can’t play drop back QB because he could run the RPO.

Why do they think that about Fields?

When I watch Ohio st play, I just don’t see competition at all. I just watched his “all TD highlights” from the last two years and it stands out. Aside from one pass up the seam to the back of the Endzone, And a handful of corner/fade routes, he is throwing to wide open WRs. Who look like they are playing against JV guys.

I feel hes impossible to get a read off of him because of this. Is it his fault his team is loaded? Of course not. Could he succeed at the next level? Yes of course. But I think he’s risk/reward type. I don’t see a lot of pro type throws when watching him. No tight spots aside from like I said, corner/fade routes. Which are some of the safest throws in football because you can put the ball where it’s either a catch or OB. I don’t even love Lawrence and have never said I was a fan. Hes just the sure fire first pick. So no need to discuss him.

Bottom line for me, I’m just not a fan of his. And not just his, I’m not a fan of taking a QB this year no matter who it is. And because a couple aren’t even possible, they aren’t worth discussing.

This has all already been discussed above

^this^

That is a different argument and in my view we should absolutely take a QB if its the right one for us. As I said in earlier, or in another thread, Goff gives us the luxury of not having to take QB, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take one.

Again, I think the whole thing is moot because SF traded up to get Fields. We’re talking about whether he is worth it at 7, and they probably just dropped three first rounders to get him.

1 Like

Neither of you would take Trevor Lawrence?

1 Like