DJ mock draft 3.0

It’s cool… I haven’t done all the research myself either.
I try to dig a little deeper than what we see on the major media sites for this reason.

I also am not saying I “guarantee” Fields will be great.
He has a ton of talent and could be a great one… but certainly not a sure thing.

QB position is so valuable that I think some teams have come to the conclusion that it is not a problem to have 2 good QBs… especially if 1 is on a rookie deal. Darnold just got the Jets picks in 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds… so I am also confident Goff would net the Lions at least a 1st round pick if traded.

The draft is going to be a big reveal for how our new staff plans to build the team for long term success.

I’ve been impressed with them thus far, but this is just the beginning.

We’ll have a much better picture once this is through. I find it to be more exciting this time for me because of what Shelia has put together since moving on from Quintricia.

It’s the most genuine attempt to make the Lions franchise a competent organization. I really want this to work.

Whether it’s Fields, another QB, a position player or a trade down I’m going to be very interested/excited in their reasoning, mostly due to that they have been so open to communicating with our fan base with what they are doing.

I look forward to the conversations that will be generated from their moves and who they eventually select.

I get it. I like the idea of adding a 1st round QB to sit for a year or two. But I don’t think it should happen on a team with an overall weak roster. The benefits of having a QB on a rookie deal is you can surround him with a ton of talent. Despite what we all hope, this team isn’t seriously contending until 2023 at the very earliest. Could they surprise, sure. But not winning playoff games surprise.

I also do not like “dual threat QBs.” Having an elite one is the exception to the rule. And a very rare exception. If fields wasnt the athlete he is, he wouldn’t even be in the conversation. I want my franchise QB strengths to be his arm, his mind, his leadership, and his competitiveness. Being dual threat is at the very bottom of my wants from that position. It’s the “thing” right now…but aside from Russell Wilson winning a super bowl (I would argue too that his running ability is below all of the traits I just mentioned), no one else has. The rest are all my type of guys I prefer. So my argument against Justin fields is definitely bias (I also despise OSU) :joy:

So Mahomes isn’t a dual threat QB?

There’s a difference between dual threat QB and running QB.

Patrick mahomes rushes less than 4 times per game through his NFL career. He averages less than 18 ypg rushing…

Dual threat QB!!! That’s the entirety of what you got from what I said…I explained, in depth again, what I was referring to :man_facepalming:t2:

I hear ya. This is why I’m not pressing hard on what player they select vs. what they don’t. Because of Covid, there are so many variables…like guys not playing this past season. This is on Brad, Dan and company to show us their selections and explain the reasons why.

I for one am looking forward to the draft.

1 Like

Why would we agree to include Goff and his contract in the trade if we didn’t plan on using him for anything more than a stop gap?

Goff has value either way.

If he is not the long-term starter in Detroit, he certainly should command atl least as much in a trade as Darnold or Wentz… so that means a minimum of a 2nd round pick in return.

WFT, Steelers, Saints and Tampa are teams that do not have a QB set in stone for 2022… but have quality rosters and may rather have a veteran like Goff instead of a rookie.

There are other teams with young QBs that have not proven to be the answer yet as well… such as Broncos, Giants, Panthers, Philly, and Dolphins.

The QB carousel is still spinning.

I’m finding myself being pulled back in by the Justin Fields tractor beam.

Please, please, please say no to a QB from OSU! Yes I get Burrows went there but he transferred out.

I love teams thinking we might go QB though.

This idea the Lions are going to draft a QB seems crazy to me. IF the Lions thought a rookie QB was who they really wanted they are stone cold crazy and beyond dumb to keep Goff this long. Are you telling me they could not trade Goff to a team like the Bears, Washington Football Team or the Patriots to give us draft assets to get who we really want in 2021? Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick are starting QBs right now. The Panthers just traded for the kid from the Jets!!!

Trading for a QB you don’t believe in, paying him and then drafting a rookie is stupid. Having Goff’s contract on the books hurt the Lions in 2021 if they are just going to draft a rookie. Paying a QB that kind of $ to be a bridge QB is also dumb.

I think the Lions love Goff and their moves suggest this too by messing with his contract and by trading for him and keeping him. I believe a NUMBER of teams would have given us at least a first for Goff including the Patriots (have Newton now), the Bears (Dalton…I laugh every time I type that), the Panthers (Sam Darnold), to be WFT (Ryan F.) and maybe be be a team like the Saints (Winston and Hill?).

4 Likes

Mahomes and Rodgers are both dual threat QBs and I’d much rather have a guy that can pick up a first down with his legs when it’s there then a guy that has to throw it away because he can’t. A dual threat QB is the hardest thing to defend against.

1 Like

Are you saying Justin Fields isn’t a good passer? Honestly, I very confused by what you are trying to say here. What you seem to be saying is what makes him good is his dual threat nature, and that doesn’t work in the NFL. I might agree with your point on that. But that is not what Fields is. Fields is a passer. Fields had a better passer rating than Trevor Lawrence in both 2019 and 2020. And better in completion percentage. I mean I wonder WHY Russell Wilson panned out when Tim Tebow didn’t? Could it be that he can PASS?

1 Like

Fields went to Georgia but he transferred out.

1 Like

I am 100% on the Pitts train. Don’t care if we already have Hock.

1 Like

If they do see him as a huge upgrade then yes…

Here is the thing… Goff is not locked here like many think. I like the kid, the experience he has, the success he’s had, but he could be gone in 6 months no doubt.

We have a 10M hit for him on the 2021 league year. 40M dead cap- true.

However if mid season fields per say had shown ready, Goff could be flipped for a 1st and 3rd or maybe just a 2nd and 3rd in 2022

You see he makes 31M if he’s here, he costs 30M to cut, so we save 1.0M

We pay Fields the same at #7 that we’d pay Smith or Parsons.

So Goff and Fields costs 14M in 2021, and 36M in 2022… yet if they trade Goff for a few picks they save 1.0 in 2022. That’s about what they would pay the 2nd rounder we’d get for him.

Yes we lose a guy like Parsons in 2021, but we get an extra 1-2 and a 3rd next year to draft 2 lbers

By the start of 2022 either package below would hit our cap the exact same, but in 2023 we’d be 30M ahead with Fields package

Fields
1st rd lb 2022
3rd round lb 2022

Goff
Parsons.

If we trade Jared Goff post June 1 this year or next, the trade would be very cap friendly for us.

To me, Jared Goff is no reason not to draft Justin Fields.

The nice thing about Goff is that it doesn’t force us to take.a QB. We can wait for the right one. I just think it won’t get any better than Fields, if he falls. Still not convinced he does.

1 Like

I heard that some one suing Oregon claimed that Sewell assaulted Justin Herbert in front of the whole school. The campus police, NCAA and a federal investigators interviewed every student in the school. They all claimed this was a false statement but he’s just too big of a character risk to take this high in the draft. He’s definitely the biggest character concern in the entire draft. Gotta pass … this guys a real trouble maker.

1 Like

meh, at this point just ride Goff for the next 5 years and then hopefully be in a solid position to Draft the next Manning. Maybe by then we will have the rest of the roster about filled out.

That’s in India, right?

1 Like

The weird part about the mock is that neither Ettienne nor Harris were in the first round.