Do you think Goff is the long term answer?

Because he has Tweety Bird from the looney tunes as his left tackle

Game Day GIF

1 Like

What ever you think , but he has called him out twice. do you believe in Santa Claus too.

No. I also dont think Lynne is the answer at OC…especially after watching the Rams actually scheme/design plays as opposed to Lynne’s “go through the motions” offense with no wrinkles or creativity at all…for instance, why in the hell are they never putting their two BEST offensive players in Swift and Jwill, in the game at the same time?! I guarantee no matter who the future QB or WR’s are, Lynne will not get this offense off the ground…he needs to go before the new/next QB takes a snap. And dont get me started on the red zone scheme…dont care who Lynne has to work with personnel-wise, get creative, figure it out, that’s his job.

2 Likes

The talent around Goff is complete trash. Even with better talent I still don’t think he is the answer. I have the feeling we are stuck with Goff because this a shitty draft for QB’s and a journeymen FA QB is going to cost 15M in FA. Even if we do draft a QB you don’t want to put him in the same situation as Goff.

2 Likes

Two different ways of rebuilding… following the fastest path is like slapping the top-end hot tub on the back of your double-wide. Sure you get some splash, and enjoy it, but it’s limited and doesn’t really do the most for you overall. If you can build a solid stick house with a foundation, and find a little cheaper hot tub or a great deal on one when you’re done, you still get to soak it up, but the overall product is much better for the long-term.

1 Like

I like the analogy, but how many good QBs are there in the NFL?

How often does a good one come out (truthfully).

You get outside of the top 1/2 of the league, and who is there really?
I don’t wanna end up with the 2nd coming of somewhere between Sam Darnold and Wentz. There are hyped QBs every year. There were plenty of ppl that thought Sanchez was as good as Stafford. How the F do you land a good QB? Trade up for T-Bursk? Tua? It’s insane how often “great prospects” bust.

I’m nervous as hell about drafting a QB. Watch Jordan Love juuuuuuust suck.

1 Like

I believe Goff has no clue where his receivers are going to go or what they’re going to do. Very evident on at least two plays yesterday. The one to Swift where Swift got pissed. Ball is coming out of Goff’s hand when Swift starts back the other direction.

The other in the play where Goff was lucky to hold onto the ball and not fumble while attempting a deep shot. Receiver broke it towards the sideline when Goff was getting ready to throw it up the hash marks. It’s an easy pick if he doesn’t pull it back down.

That, to me, is causing a ton of the hesitation with Goff. Honestly rightfully so. Throwing balls to where receivers should be but aren’t is a recipe to throw a ton of picks. The argument of throwing it like he’s supposed to doesn’t mean shit if it’s picked. He may be “right” but he’s toast at the same time.

It’s on MCDC to get them all on the same page. Somehow, someway.

3 Likes

Solve that question, and you’re making bank Natty! Some are average QBs that fit the system and have success, others just have the talent to overcome team deficits and carry their team. I’d say there are many more of the first kind that have been successful than the latter, because there aren’t many who can carry the team on their back. Even Mahommes struggled last year when he had a beat up team, and he’s arguably at the top athletically capable. I think the truth lies somewhere in between with a slightly above average QB on a slightly above average team having the most success (not specifically SB wins). The better the overall team, the worse the QB can be, and the opposite it also true. We just happen to have seen Brady do the latter for so many years that it just seems possible.

They did yesterday, just not very much.

After my addition it’s 86% No, 14% yes. I’m in the majority. Nice guy, but no it’s not the talent around them that makes Stafford look so much better than Goff. It’s that Stafford is so much better than Goff that makes Stafford look so much better than Goff. It was a pipe dream that it would work out and we could use all those magic beans to build our team. BUT… folly. We will have to use all those beans to move up to draft a QB we pray “might” end up being close to who we let walk… several years down the road.

I simply wish when Stafford came to Brad wanting out that Brad had simply said. No way. We want you here and no amount of magic beans is going to sway me on that. I know you’d like to go to a contender, but we aren’t trading you. I do believe that if that is the reply Matt had gotten, he’d have shrugged and said ok and he’d be playing for us right now. Instead, being so eager for the beans and understanding we are a couple years away no matter what, we did the foolish thing. We let an ELITE (yeah I freaking said it) QB get away. We will be paying for this for a long time folks and it’s going to hurt.

3 Likes

I wonder if they’re really trying to manage Williams snap count as much as they can with his hip injury. It’s not serious enough that he doesn’t play, but he’s not seeing a lot of snaps either. Definitely not many where he’s expected to get out into the open and possibly take a direct shot to the thigh/hip area. His runs are mostly between the tackles. Tight quarters.

Just speculating here. Was watching closely as I had him in my bench for fantasy. Ended up dropping him because of the snap count. NFL app always listed the hip as a possible concern.

1 Like

I don’t think Williams hip issue is a problem on game day and the run game is decent with just him and Swift. Yet I really would like to see Jefferson be active and get some carries. He must leave a lot to desire on special teams.

1 Like

There’s no one better than him on offer right now, which means if he took Rams quite far, why with a good draft he wouldn’t cheer us up a lot.
We are not thinking about SB, play off and some victories in the coming years would be quite enough.
I think Goff could make it happen.
Not the best solution, but experimenting with rookie qb no thanks. Give an elite defense and an angry coach who doesn’t cry at the press, he can also have a helmet on his head, just without tears. Not brought for showing emotion, but for victories.
At least for now Goff isn’t crying, so I’m writing him a plus.

1 Like

Really good post, not just this part I quoted. New WRs, some from other places that don’t know the playbook, almost none of which have “timing” down with Goff, or trust built.
Part of this is on the WRs…FOR…SURE!
Part of this is on Goff too.
Things that make me nervous.

1. The fumbles. To me, you can’t fumble every time someone gives you a dirty look. Buy some hand grippers.
  2. The energetic way he shows up. Doesn’t look like something people would follow. If he was in your day-to-day life, would you be the more influential energy, or would he (just as dudes hanging out)? There are levels and layers to this, and each of us are going to see it through our own lens.
  3. Deep routes.
    I am less concerned about his ability to go deep for a few reasons
    -He’s thinking out there, instead of being instinctual. That’s really bad, except for one thing…I’ve seen him in the playoffs and KNOW he can play instinctually. Lots of his thinking, instead of just being himself out there comes from not trusting the WRs.
    -He needs to throw the right ball to Hoch and Swift (trust the guys you know you can trust), but also it’s tougher to trust the backups to backups, which is what we have out there, right now. These dudes literally wouldn’t make other NFL rosters.
    -I feel Goff is a different animal, and is more of a scripted QB. He is more of a poor man’s Joe Montana, than a poor man’s Aaron Rodgers. Goff is a smart guy. He isn’t Montana. He doesn’t have the ability to calm teammates down, lead them, be an energy they want to fight for, that sort of stuff.

It’s more like, “you beat up my weaker buddy, so I’m gonna stick up for him,” rather than “I’m going to war with the lead warrior and following him into battle,” In terms of how the team will respond to our current QB.

Some stuff is “he is who he is,” and some stuff is TBD. These short passes are brutal to watch.

Adam Devine Reaction GIF

I said ‘yes’, but I think ‘yes’ because Goff has to be the answer. I think the idea of the trade was to get the opportunity to put some good young players around Goff without having to spend those beans on a qb. If you have to spend those beans on a QBs surrounded by the current talent level with a few decent FAs added in… then the trade will not have gotten the lions out of the quagmire they’ve been in for decades. I’m hoping for a Titans type rebuild with Goff comparable to Tannehill. If that happens I think the lions will have done a decent job

1 Like

I can see that scenario possibly working out.
I feel like next year we’re rolling w/Goff, almost guaranteed.
After that, we’ll know how to proceed.

If Goff doesn’t work out, we are in QB purgatory, until proven otherwise. By far, goff is the biggest X-factor in this rebuild. For sure saves us somewhere between a year and a decade of rebuild.

We need to tank until the 2026 draft and get Arch Manning. That has to be the path. I mean sure it’s just a name, but it’s a Manning name. And reportedly he’s really good. And you just know that Peyton Manning can’t turn down coaching his nephew. Yes, so it shall be written, so it shall be done. The unstoppable force will meet the immovable object.

4 Likes

I do think we’ll be seeing Mr. Goff next year.

We’ve waited this long - ■■■■ it!
Here’s my plan. We build a team that is actually amazing. As we draft and develop so well, we become known for not only getting great picks, but developing them better than anyone else. We have BOTH depth and talent at every position, and we package players AND picks, to get #1overall, that year. Win/win. We do a modern rendition of a H.Walker Cowboy/Viking trade, but the difference is, we have so much talent and depth, as well as ability to get more, it doesn’t hurt us as much as it would another organization.

We get this young manning and win for 15 years.

There.

Get it done, Holmes! :wink:

3 Likes