Do you think Goff is the long term answer?

“Yeah, this organization has ruined 12 years of your career, and on top of that we’re going to put you through another rebuild just for our own sick pleasure.”

Truly an awful, selfish take. Glad the GM has more class than the fans.

My hope is the Goff can be traded in the next week to a more ready team for another 1st/2nd rounder. Someone like the Browns would be perfect for Goff. He is an upgrade to Case and maybe Baker too. They don’t want a long term contract with Baker I don’t think.

The Lions are playing a ton of rookies, which is the right strategy to me. Get a bunch of rookie running QBs that are cheap like Montez and build this thing for 2 years out.

Personally if I was building a team, Goff is not the type of QB I would build around. I’d want 2-3 poor man Lamar Jackson QBs becaues you know they will get hurt and QB by comittee if need be. with the added savings, invest in the defense and play smash mouth.

Goff is a pocket passer with limited mobility. He needs a good offense around him and that is expensive unless you are hitting 80%+ of the time in draft and UDFA.

1 Like

I agree, but not because he’s played well enough to earn it. Because he costs too much to get rid of, and the options in the draft are substandard. The one thing I don’t want to do is reach for a position of need. That’s what I feel like we’d be doing at QB. So another year of Goff it is, and that’s OK.

3 Likes

No chance anyone is giving the Lions a 1st or 2nd rounder for Goff. Not based on his play the past 3 seasons and his massive contract. I’m not even sure you could get a late round pick for him right now.

Especially with his contract. Though it’s much easier to get out in 2023.

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong part of your post. lol

1 Like

Exactly.

We’re not truly competing until 2023 at the earliest IMO. I wish I knew the answer, but it appears to me that we won’t be drafting a QB until 2023 either. Maybe a later round developmental guy. Trying to predict the future, maybe that works out for us. Goff looks like shit right now. Say we draft some WRs,get the Oline healthy, and Goff rehabilitates himself. Maybe he is decent, but we want a franchise guy. Now Goff might possibly have some trade value. Right now, I think his trade value is non existent. Especially considering he makes more than Aaron Rodgers. Far-fetched perhaps. I’d be happy if we got anything for him, once we zero in on what we want.

Honestly, I known they need receiving help, but this problem cannot be understated. Any QB in the league, not matter how talented, would find it difficult to operate behind an OL in flux.

Yup, just load the team with as much talent as possible, even if we have to wait on the QB. It would give a rookie a better chance anyway to step into a team with at least a little talent, as opposed to what a QB drafted in 2021 would have had to put up with. 2022 as well. It’s one of the main advantages for Mac Jones, he stepped into a decently talented roster, as opposed to the Jets, Jags and Bears (can’t really grade Lance yet).

Lawrence. :wink:

His #1 receiver is Jakobi Meyers. I mean, he’s a slot receiver, but he’s Jones’s #1 target.

1 Like

Depends on the question.

As the 2023 season QB for the Lions? No.

To me his biggest flaws are what most quarterbacks have that makes it difficult for them to succeed. He doesn’t handle pressure well. His pocket awareness is below average. And he doesn’t read the field all that well.

1 Like

There is a better chance I have a 3way with J-Lo & Shakira then the Lions getting a 1st/2nd rd pick for Goff. We would be lucky if they offered a Jim Brown autographed football.

4 Likes

Look, no one knows exactly what’s going on for sure outside of the locker room, but what you’re saying seems plausible to me.

I really think a lot of this goes back to not getting Goff more reps in the preseason with this offense. It was brand new to all of the players, and not everyone is a Manning-esque savant.

I’m also not real impressed with ALynn’s ability to make lemonade out of the lemons he’s been given. He seems to just be calling the same offense he’d call if the personnel were better.

I’m not saying there’s one particular way to adapt, but more two-back and/or two TE sets to really capitalize on the talent and flexibility of our most talented skill guys (Hock, Swift, and Williams) doesn’t sound too bad to me.

Now, this could all be true as well as Goff just plain sucking. I don’t want to believe that to be true. As @RickOShea said, this team needs it to not be true.

I think they’re committed to him as the starter of the future enough where you won’t see meaningful resources spent on a QB this offseason. We all need to hope that’s the right answer.

1 Like

Shhh…

crazy ex-girlfriend no GIF

You had me at threeway with J-Lo and Shakira.

1 Like

All that gets better with a better OL and WRs he trusts. Did you see the whole “sprinkler” bit Sanchez did showing Goff going through his reads?

1 Like

This is what I would do. I wouldn’t wait necessarily to 2026 to draft a QB. I would take high ceiling guys with question marks in rounds 2-7. If you get a Drew Brees, falls because of size, great don’t need to take Manning. However, if I still have question marks about QB come 2026 - I’m going to shamelessly tank like you’ve never seen before. They’re going to have to institute a draft lottery just because of me. I might sign Culpepper and Orlovksky. I’m going to try 70 yard field goals during that season just to try and take that record away from that guy in Baltimore, because I’m a bitter Lions fan, I’m tanking, and I don’t want him to have the record.

But the rest of the team is talented. And his TEs are excellent, and their running game is one of the league’s best. It’s not a perfect situation, but it’s the best one of all the rookies save maybe Lance.

1 Like

time to send in the bald guy! Let me see if I can get this done, so we can get another first rounder. Taking TWO for the team!

“Put me in” Coach!

If you also have a Dad bod, I think you have a shot.

2 Likes