Do you think we still draft a QB?

No, this is a bad group to pick from. No need to take one for a year or two. We are gonna suck next year, top 5 pick. Howell is a much better qb then the dudes in this draft and that is just one name. Wait, build the team and then get a qb.

I think they view Goff as the starter for next year.
Moving forward? I think that’ll unfold at least in April.

One thing for sure, this has bought time.
We can give Goff weapons and try and give him a chance to succeed.
If he’s good, maybe we got something for a little while.
If he’s not, we can use a draft pick.

Or you can take a QB in 2021, develop him for a year or two ala Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes.
Maybe Goff can be Alex Smith for the chiefs and we can trade him, get draft capitol then hand the reigns over to the heir apparent.

This basically allows the front office to go BPA instead of focusing in on QB.

I think now the focus is getting game changing players, regardless of position.

I don’t think Holmes/Dorsey would hesitate to pull the trigger on Lance or Fields if they fee those are the best players available.

It’s the Wild West ya’ll…

We can honestly draft anyone but TE and that would help this team.

Go draft all defense and o line…then when the foundation is built go get the finishing touches of a QB…Defense has been bad for years…

Quit overpaying for players who won’t get us to the playoffs…save the money for the time we are a player or two away.

I dont think so, as I dont think any of the top 3 guys will be there at 7, and Lance is too unkown…and the D needs help soooooo much. I’d spin the 3rd rder they got from the Rams and take Ehlinger as a development prospect and see how he pans out behind the scenes through 2021, then by 2022 draft, assess the future of the QB position.

I hope not. I’m also under the belief that the draft class for qb’s isn’t the best this year. Reminds me of the 2016 draft class. I’d rather have the Lions pick more of a sure pick at #7 then trying to pick a quarterback that has only played a handful of games in a pandemic riddled season.

I do think we take a QB. I mean they won’t take somebody they don’t like and they won’t be forced to take one. But if I were a betting man, I’d say they take one.

I took a quick scan of known QBs in the 2022 draft and none of them are particularly household names like TLaw or Justin Fields. Not yet anyway.

The other variable is the sort of time it takes to groom a QB. That has been reduced in recent years with guys like Herbert and Burrow, but ideally you’d like to groom the rookie one year and then have him ramping up year 2 and 3 of the rebuild as you build around him.

They could take the other route which is to build the team first, but the issue is going to be whether they will ever have a shot like this again to get a good one. They could take one now without having to give up capital, or not as much capital as if they build out the team and pick 15th or something next year or year after.

I like the idea of a guy like Justin Fields sitting a year. He is CLEARLY talented, but he needs work on his decision making and the speed and quality of his reads. He is not Russell Wilson coming out IMO. He is more like a slightly better passer and worse runner than Lamar. It wouldn’t be surprising if we targeted him.

Drafting a QB is essentially saying we’ve already decided Goff’s not the guy, and from everything we’re hearing right now they want to get a good look at him. Whether or not he’s the guy will be decided down the road. So I think it’s unlikely. Now maybe they love Wilson or Fields and if one falls to us that may change, but right now I’d say it’s unlikely.

1 Like

Not in the 1st round.
I’ve mentioned in other posts that you could probably score a guy like David Mills from Stanford in the mid rounds.
He was eligible to stick around for one more year but decided to put his name in the draft. Smart QB but not the physical skills of Stafford or Goff. Could become a decent backup.

I’d still like to see us draft Lance at 7. I don’t see Goff as a long term solution

1 Like

I think these are good point.

The question they’ll need to figure out is what happens if they view one of these QBs in the 2021 draft as a clear franchise QB.

I don’t think they can pass on that. Especially if he falls into their lap at 7.

From a salary cap perspective, it makes no sense to chase a QB at #7. Goff is making too much money to also sign a QB at #7–you would be tying up too much money on the QB room. If you want to flush Chase Daniels and/or Bullough and take a QB in the third round or later, I’m OK with it. Personally, I would take a flyer on Newman, the QB who was the starter at Wake Forrest for a couple of years before transferring to Georgia. He needs a couple of years of development, but he has all of the tools. Heck, I would even part with a #3 pick and trade for Darnold (I have no doubt the Jets are taking Fields). A Darnold/Goff competition should really result in getting the best out of one of them.

also, the Lions need playmakers everywhere, especially on the defense. Unfortunately, there are no real big studs for the d-line (where I would want to start a rebuild) worthy of the #7 pick (still wish Quinn had taken Brown last year instead of Okudah). Looks like WR, CB or LB are the best values for #7 in this years draft.

I know I mentioned it as a possibility… but I honestly don’t think it’s happens unless someone drops to 7OA that they were not expecting too.

I’m fairly confident we won’t take a QB early this draft.

All depends on their evaluation of the prospects (i.e. Fields/Lance). If they think they will bust, then they won’t draft them.

It makes all the sense to draft a QB at 7 if they think the guy will pan out. Goff can be cut in the next year or 2 with no dead cap impact.

Gotta look at things from a football perspective. We have football guys in the FO to do that.

We have many areas of concern and almost NO absolute studs anywhere.

WR’s plural.
LB’s plural
OT Right side O-line
I would like someone at QB (back up ) Besides Daniels that can step in for Goff if he gets injured.
but not DIRE.
we need fast CB’s and a S or SS to help mop up with our front 7
fast DE or two.

can’t have tunnel vision @ QB and think instant fix, our fron’t office and staff has work to do.
don’t care for the stuff we already have A-Z because we were burnt across both lines many times.

if the draft falls where we have a potential value pick in the 4-7 rounds. I don’t see it in earlier rounds unless you see a surprise drop.

And if you put a real team around Goff he could be the answer at QB. Years 3 and 4 of the Goff contract are REALLY affordable. He is a good QB, and the Lions will have cap space to put a team around him.

If this works out the Lions could finally be good in a couple of years, with Goff.

Exactly