Do you think we still draft a QB?

We asked for Goff to be part of the trade and are on the hooks for 43 Mil of his 100+ mil remaining contract.

Goff is clearly the planned starter for at least two more seasons. It doesn’t make sense to get a QB at 7OA. Unless we trade Goff but why ask for him if you planned to trade him?.. I am fairly confident that it won’t happen.

Homes and Campbell supposedly like Goff.

There is still a possibility they could move on after 2021. I wouldn’t rule out a QB this year but I am at least a little more comfortable that they’re not going to trade up for one.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets and Dolphins both trade out and three QBs are off the board early. Going off the various reports it looks like Goff is going to get a fair crack becoming the long term answer. With the additional first round picks if he isn’t the guy then I think we will be in position to easy go and draft a QB in 2022 or 2023.

The Lions have a QB, a Pro Bowl TE, 4/5ths of a good OL, and a dynamic starting RB.

On defense, what do the Lions have? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

Almost nada on a historically bad defense.

This should be a draft focused on defense.

Yes asked for Goff to be a potential stop gap QB. Either that or we can flip him for pick(s) if proves to be at least an average starting QB (top 15). Goff is the slated starter for next season, but anything can happen. You trade for Goff cus you need a veteran QB with a rookie QB for at least the 1st year. Plus u can still get value out of Goff if he proves valuable enough. Holmes and Cambell probably do like Goff, but they can certainly like a 7OA QB if they evaluate them that way.

I think the most important thing is we don’t have to draft a QB this year now. Acquiring Goff gave us options we didn’t have.

1 Like

Its only a historically bad defense if you look at meaningless stats like points, yards, sacks and interceptions. :rofl:

3 Likes

To me you have 2 options. If you aren’t serious about starting Goff, by all means consider getting a QB high in the draft if there is one you like. But if you are even going to loosely entertain the idea of Goff as the starter, you can’t immediately undermine him with some young QB. Not only is that a player who isn’t helping Goff on the field, it just sent a clear message to Goff that he never really stood a chance.

1 Like

Agreed.

It’s pretty apparent that Goff is going to get every chance to succeed, and it’s a logical step.

There’s a contingent of people here absolutely desperate to see a high first round pick spent on a QB. If any of the three top non-Lawrence QBs ends up looking halfway decent, there’s going to be no end to the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2 Likes

I’ve made my love of Fields quite evident but this is the correct approach IMO. Now if someone makes an aggressive offer for Goff I might change my mind. Aside from that, let’s get him some protection, upgrade our skill positions and see what we have.

2 Likes

We don’t want to find ourselves in a scenario where we have to draft a QB. The Eagles and Rams did that in 2016 and wound up choosing between Goff and Wentz. Tampa and Tennessee had to decide between Winston and Mariota. Sometimes, all the options are bad (and unlike a lot of you, I’m not in love with the 2022 class).

So if we decide that one of Fields/Lance/Wilson is a potential franchise QB, we should take him no matter what. The good thing is with Goff we aren’t forced to.

I can’t predict what Holmes et al will think of those guys, but I know he likes Goff so I think he’ll have to have a Veach/Mahomes level love to actually draft a guy. So I don’t think it will happen.

1 Like

Exactly! I think it would be foolhardy if we didn’t at least give the opportunity for Goff to succeed. I’m still okay if we draft a QB in the later rounds though, but drafting one early sends the wrong message.

I really hope we don’t go with a QB in Rd 1. Get a weapon for Goff. I love Ja’Marr Chase. If he’s there, that’s the guy I want to see.

I’d be ok with that mock. Smith is another Marvin Harrison.