Dolphins Get Hammered

Judy Battista

@judybattista

Important detail of investigation, as

@TomPelissero

just pointed out: the investigation did not dispute that Ross said something about offering money to tank games. it says there were “differing recollections about the wording, timing, and context.” Hmm.

Andrew Brandt

@AndrewBrandt

Wait, so the NFL found that Stephen Ross DID say something to Flores about paying him $100,000 per game to lose, but “it was not intended to be a serious offer.”? Of course, owners joke about that kind to thing to their coaches all the time!

You can’t make this stuff up.

6 Likes

The league absolutely did find that Flores’s testimony was true. Look at that quote above. They just won’t admit it.

5 Likes

Ahh ok thank you, that makes sense

Makes his subsequent response statement look even dumber than it already did

The 2nd round will not have 33 picks.
It will be 32 at the most.

The “normal” number of picks is indeed 256 picks.
It is 7 picks for all 32 teams (224)… plus 32 compensatory picks.

In the past 2 drafts… there have actually been 259 picks (2021) and 262 picks (2022) because extra comp picks are handed out for hiring minority coaches and executives.

1 Like

Yeah, they found plenty of evidence…they just decided to ignore it and rip him for tampering instead.

3 Likes

This was my first though as well.

Ross must be a gigantic egomaniac to just keep doing stupid shit that is clearly out of bounds

2 Likes

Van Jefferson carted off…Brian Skowronek now their #3 WR…beans getting better again?

2 Likes

I believe there is a minimum number of total draft picks that were negotiated into the CBA, and it might be 255. That would mean if it fell short they would give out picks at the end of the draft to fill out the total.

1 Like

Forfeited picks are not replace. i.e. there will only be 254 drafted players in 2023 draft, if the Dolphins 1st rounder is the only forfeited pick.

2 Likes

There was definitely a minimum at one point. Are you saying the new CBA cut out the minimum total of picks?

I was never aware of a minimum. For years, there were 256 picks (7 rounds for 32 teams plus 32 compensatory picks) and when there were forfeited picks, it reduced the drafted players down from 256.

Maybe you are thinking of the compensatory picks. If there are only 30 compensatory picks given out, they add two at the end of the draft to the two teams with the worst record (drafting #1 and #2 overall). Detroit go this on at least one occasion.

1 Like

It’s elementary my dear Watson

I can’t blame Ross for wanting to shake up a moribund franchise that hasn’t given anyone much to cheer for, but there’s a time and a place for tampering, and that place is called Cabo… :wink: :grinning: :thinking:

5 Likes

Wrong thread…:kissing_smiling_eyes:

Maybe the CBA states that “up to” 255 picks are allowed…. ?

This is pretty much a case study on how fake news is created by the media these days. The story gets better each time they borrow it from the previous guy. If you trace it back to the original, it’s generally nothing.

I think your tracing back to the original is wrong. What do you think it said?

I don’t know what it said, I only saw the reaction posts, which appeared to be getting stronger as it went down the chain of media types. As far as I understand, it’s all a he said/ he said claim, without physical evidence, or even the large amount of complaints like Watson had, so proof is not something that I expect to ever be provided, unless someone has recordings.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-ANNOUNCES-FINDINGS-AND-DISCIPLINE--FOLLOWING-INDEPENDENT-INVESTIGATION-OF--INTEGRITY-OF-THE-GAME-POLICY-VIOLATIONS-BY--.aspx

1 Like