Donovan "Blessed to be here" Peoples-Jones & other WR interviews

Someone get this man a media coach (or maybe a better one)! :joy:

Hope he can contribute and replace what they expected out of MJJ this season.

4 Likes

So what is the knock on PJ?

Iā€™m not super familiar with him

Iā€™m not really sure thereā€™s a ā€œknockā€ on him. Heā€™s produced a lot more than you would expect considering his draft position. Big body, good speed, good hands. Lots of bad QB play in CLE this year.

4 Likes

He doesnā€™t need a media coach he needs to coach everyone else! Short, succinct, to the point. I love it!

Some of the questions are just :roll_eyes:ā€¦ ā€œhow often were you in, who else was here with you on the bye week?ā€ Some of these people have no idea how to ask questions. Or are just asking questions to try and create drama ā€œwhy did your production drop off in Cleveland?ā€ He answered that one perfectly

5 Likes

Thats how I see it too. Had he played with a real QB, in a real offense, like he will be with us, he would be much more of a household name.

Even when he played at Michigan, where he came in as 5 star recruit and the top WR in the class, he played with a very average QB. It caused him to seriously under perform.

I thought adding him was a great move.

3 Likes

I have to say, for a guy drafted 12 overall and not really producing, itā€™s so refreshing to see Jamo just having a team-first mentality. ā€œI donā€™t really have any personal goals (re: stats). I just want to keep winningā€.

He also seems a lot more comfortable with the media now than he was originally. Itā€™s really hard to not like this kid, even if he isnā€™t Randy Moss.

3 Likes

A new address closer to home, for basically a bag of fries. Color me intrigued.

Yeah, youā€™re definitely not wrong. Lions media are sometimes terrible at answering questions. But I did think there were some questions that were asked that wouldā€™ve been interesting to actually get more than canned responses to.

2 Likes

Heā€™s actually a really smart and articulate kid. His dad is a doctor. He has great, well respected parents. I felt the interviewer was not very good.

3 Likes

For all the time I have spent over the years complaining about Michigan QBs I had never given thought to that being the real reason he underperformed in college. Thank you for boosting my outlook on him even more!

4 Likes

On top of DPJ, that class also had Nico Collins and Tarik Black. It gives me a headache to think about how that could have turned out.

Of course, you can see what Collins has become now that he is finally playing with a good QB.

Yeah I hear that for sure. But the truth is very few people are going to give ā€œgoodā€ answers in interviews, and depending who you are and the situation your answer is probably going to be used against you. For example, this nonsense from Chicagoā€¦

https://x.com/bryanpereznfl/status/1722472524896694671?s=46&t=taK5zOfbtzZopwkwUl7OGA

Not that eberflus doesnā€™t deserve the criticism but to me he sounds like heā€™s trying to give honest answers and they are just twisting his words and digging. You really need to be someone like Dan Campbell, he doesnā€™t take that shit but he knows how to answer a question too, and he recognizes when someone is digging. Heck, we witness that with our own media still sometimes, DC just knows how to shut it down. Lots of other previous coaches got swallowed by that stuff.

Reporters have to ask questions and they should ask tough questions, however the definition of a tough question is what I think a lot of people miss in some ways.

So to clarify, I liked when DPJ just deflected the question about why his production went down in Cleveland, he knows damn well why it happened but heā€™s not about to tell anyone in his first locker room interview in Detroit. ā€œIā€™m here now and looking forward to contributing to the team.ā€ Period. Shut that shit down!

2 Likes

I think he was pretty obviously trying get them to stop trying to bait him into talking bad about his former team. Heā€™s trying to focus on what he has going on here with the Lions and thatā€™s really what you want to see anyway.

6 Likes

Agree. He was all ā€œIā€™m here now, Iā€™m trying to fit in and find my role.ā€ That was it.

6 Likes

DPJ at Lions practice. He looks good in a Lion uniform even if it is Golladayā€™s old number.

5 Likes

Heā€™s going to be a great pick up for us

6 Likes

Long sleeves gotta go. We already have one that canā€™t hold onto the ball.

Too soon ?

1 Like

And me being me I will say.

Straight and to the point by faithā€¦. That was both a deliberate canned statement of being blessed and one that he firmly and truly believesā€¦, this dude is living in the present as we are designed too and will not let others bait his character with the past or prideā€¦. Love it

4 Likes

Absolutely, and as hard as that can be sometimes he is doubling down on living in the present and doing the best he can moving forward. Thereā€™s no point in complaining about a past thing when 1) it wonā€™t benefit you now and 2) itā€™ll only be a detriment to you moving forward.

Heā€™s a smart guy, heā€™s gonna be fine.

As far as the questioning, thereā€™s a difference between asking a tough question vs baiting someone. I donā€™t know who asked the questions but there were some baiting questions in there.

2 Likes

Eberflus just reminded me of this:

1 Like