Double down at CB?

I’ve been seeing a few mock drafts with the Lions doubling downbat CB. Ringo with their first pick and any combo of Porter, Gonzalez, etc at 17. Given overall team needs, especially with how bad we’ve been at CB, would you double down with two first round CBs? I honestly would have no issue with it as our DB room would suddenly be very deep, albeit very young.

1 Like

Nope. I would take one at the top and one later as it’s a deep class. I doubt Campbell and company are ready to give up on Jacobs and Okaduh

3 Likes

Surprised they don’t have us taking 2 QB’s.

6 Likes

Or two TEs.

4 Likes

If they are considered the best most impactful players i would certainly double up, hell i would sign a vet or two as well. One thing we have to fix to continue this improved trajectory is the secondary and youngsters like sauce and woolen, plus a few other guys around the league, make me believe that brad could find a few guys to pair with jacobs, okudah, and a free agent to make a stronger secondary. Especially if iffy and joseph can continue to take on bigger roles at safety.

1 Like

Its hard to read into a GM after only 2 drafts. That being said, I think he has shown that he isn’t afraid to “double down” on a position. In his first draft he doubled down with back to back DT picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, even though he REALLY wanted a WR. In his second draft he doubled down twice. Once early with a DE in the 1st and 2nd round and again late with LBs in 6th round. And if you would rather think of Houston as a DE pick, that means he tripled down on DE in the 2022 draft. I give the Packers alot of shit but that is one thing I always admired about them over the years. They were willing to take a bunch of guys at a position and let the kids sort it out on the field. Let the cream rise to the top.

3 Likes

Only an idiot would take 2 CB’s in this situation. Once again, hardest position to learn on D. There are positions where you can walk right in and play and there are positions where the learning curve has to be over come and you can ruin a player if you don’t get that. Perfect example is former Lion Darius Slay. He got benched over and over his rookie season to the point where I thought they’re going to ■■■■ this guy up if they keep this shit up. We are in a position to make a huge step next season, but not if we go all in at CB to the detriment of other needs. You wanna take a CB in the first? Great, no problem, but expecting to bring in 2 rookies not only to play but to “fix” the problem isn’t problematic, it’s ■■■■■■■ stupid.

2 Likes

Soooo…just never take one?

1 Like

Are you ■■■■■■■ kidding me, I just said if you want to take one in the first, “fine”. LOL, you know what, the fact that you would equate taking DL to CB’s and expecting similar results is incredible.

1 Like

Haters Reaction GIF by Jamie Kennedy

4 Likes

Tampa Bay is cap strapped, I’d go hard after Sean Murphy-Bunting.

1 Like

Ideally, every major position group would be comprised of a mix of high draft picks and mid/late, value oriented draft picks. Contracts would ideally be staggered over multiple years, to avoid potentially losing multiple key players at once.

No to two first round corners because:

1. 3 first round corners has too high opportunity cost for other positions.
  2. Shows lack of faith in coaches and scouting to draft and develop.
  3. Bad contract spacing invites second contract predicament.
  4. Short term needs drafting produces a less talented roster.
3 Likes

You want 1st round picks on the field and contributing from day one. I could see 1 first round pick but probably not two in the first round.

2 Likes

We took 2 DE/LBs and a WR that they were fully aware would not be contributors right away.

I’ve criticized Holmes for the approach, wanting contributors day 1 for a talent-starved team, but you’re going to an extreme. You are suggesting that BH goes need-shopping with the expectation that they’re the players that put us over the top next year. That’s not reasonable. Even the #2 pick in the draft took time to really start impacting a game.

I don’t fully agree with Holmes’s approach. In an alternate universe, I think his staying at 32 and prioritizing talent that could contribute right away would have us in the playoffs right now, but I wouldn’t call him an idiot.

Based on your stated position in this thread, I think you should prepare yourself for some serious disappointment in the upcoming draft and season.

1 Like

Yep, and we have a problem with our “replacement” secondary coach right now, Brian Duker. He simply doesn’t have the experience for the job. He was the safeties coach, which was a promotion. I’m not saying that he won’t ever be able to do the job, but right now, we need someone with more experience and success.

Yeah, I think draft strategies might change when we’re on the verge of playoffs than when we’re “building for the future”…but maybe not, we’ll see.

1 Like

Yeah, we’ll see. If we were talking Mayhew, I have little doubt that he would be filling holes. With Holmes, there is no such expectation.

I’m not sure that you have followed what this thread is about, so let me walk you back. This is about taking 2 CB’s in the first round. Would I be disappointed if they did that? Well, uh, yes I would believe that our GM and HC got replaced with the ghosts of Matt Millen and Fat Boy. Their first 2 drafts were rebuild, yes or no? My complaint would be all the injured players they have brought in, with the draft and FA esp at WR.

“You are suggesting that BH goes need-shopping with the expectation that they’re the players that put us over the top next year. That’s not reasonable.”

You are absolutely wrong, teams do this every single year. Basically you are saying we are somehow different.

I expect them to take a CB in the first, it’s a target rich environment but it needs to be balanced with help in FA. So, with the benefit of hindsight, w/o the trade what draft would have us in the playoffs this year?

Okay but per my main point do you take a lesser player at a different position if come the second first porter is there and he is graded vastly better than anyone else on brads board? I think saying you absolutely wouldnt draft a position is more “stupid” especially when we are talking about premium positions like cornerback, OT etc. Positions whre you have multiple guys on the field and can impact a defense as much as a shutdown corner shouldnt be considered a dumb decision if brad rates them both to be like sauce and ramsey i 100% would be okay with the double dip. Okudah likely wont have his option picked up and we have 3 other top picks to add to the team plus free agency. I personally would be pissed if we passed on a guy we graded as potemtial all pro at cb for a guy at another position that is a JAG that we are looking to replace before his rookie contract is up.

1 Like

So we go QB then, or TE? LOL, smart.