Down to earth expectations after lastnight

Well, we won, but seeing the way the 49ers and Cowboys destroyed their opponents yesterday kind of brings my expectations back to earth a bit and consider our division as our best hope this season.

One thing I keep thinking, we win and it’s because KC is bad (doesn’t matter if they are bad because they are missing players) and Cowboys win and that is 100 percent because of them being great and not one mention of the fact that the Giants are bad too. Is KC without Kelce and Jones as bad as the Giants last night>? Somehow I the KC maybe whoops the Giants lastnifght, or at least wins comfortably.

I just want to make sure I got it, Cowboys win and they are super great, no mention of their opponent sucking, we beat the champs and we win only because we faced a bad team. Is that correct?

Anyway, the 9ers and Cowboys look awesome and our ceiling may be just winning our division, so I am thinking that dreaming of an NFC title game battle may be a fairly overboard dream.

So did the Cowboys do that last night because they are super great and destroyed a “GOOD” Giants team, or is much of it that the Giants suck?

Oh, yea of little faith.
Get thee behind me!
The team we just beat was the best team in the league, and, they were cheating the entire game.
Bring them on! We’re built for this shit!

8 Likes

The Cowboys match up well against the Giants. Best pass rush in the league against horrible blocking and Daniel Jones.

Their defense does look legit though.

3 Likes

The Giants are a highly overrated team. We beat them up last season at their house too with relative ease. Any team lead by Daniel Jones is going to be very inconsistent.

1 Like

Definitely Overreaction Monday for those kinds of things. Humans see 1 data point and draw a line straight up or straight down depending on it.

Giants are better than they showed yesterday. Daniel Jones is an inconsistent player and will do more, especially against lesser defenses.

Remember the Cowboys destroying the Lions last year too with their front 7.

I think the Lions are top 4 in the NFC. That chiefs team is a good team with a top QB, even without Kelce. Both teams didn’t play their A game. The Lions left plays out there too.

4 Likes

Just enjoy the ride, don’t burden yourself with expectations.

This is a team that won 3 games just two short seasons ago and has now won back to back games beating Green Bay in Lambeau in what was essentially a playoff game for them and the Champs on the road (regardless of the asterisk BS). They’ve come a long way in a short time and it’s just the beginning.

Maybe they’re not Superbowl contenders yet but lets just enjoy the wins as they come and the growth that comes with it and see where it goes instead of worrying too much about whether or not they’re better than this team or that team in Week 1 of a very long season. At least that’s how I feel about it.

7 Likes

All depends on their opponent. Do you really think that Parson would have the same productive game against Sewell?

2 Likes

I think Dal is a good team but might struggle to make the playoffs. That division is tough.

The NYG are a streaky team and a tad overrated. That OL is suspect and I expected them to be the bottom dwellers in that division while Dal and Wash battle it out for a WC spot.

I thought the Falcons beating the Panthers was a bigger win than what Dal did to be honest.

The NFCE and NFCS both had 3 win teams in them.

3 Likes

And it was pouring and Daniel Jones is not a legit starting NFL QB.

The Giants were able to run the ball early. Then the game script got out of hand.

With Desmond Ridder having more catches than Drake London.

1 Like

My expectations changed a bit after yesterday.

I thought the Lions looked sharp. Sharper than I expected.

I thought other teams looked bad. Worse than I expected.

I think the Lions may exceed my pre-season expectations this year. I kind of thought everyone was getting a bit too high on the hype and that it would only be a matter of time before they were brought back to earth.

After watching the Lions + the rest of the NFC play, I think most fans are right to be expecting big things this year.

Injuries and surprises can always **** things up, but the Lions certainly do look like they belong in that upper NFC tier when it comes to expectations this year.

3 Likes

This is the take. The Giants are a model of inconsistency. When they are on they can be scary, when they aren’t they get handled.

2 Likes

Defense could be really good. Hard to win when Jones keeps turning it over. The Cowboys scored 40 points while only having 260 yards of offense. Why? Because the Giants offense and Jones gifted the Cowboys the game. At one point Jones has more INT’s than completions, haha

1 Like

Injuries man. They can be huge in determining who wins what games when against who (say that five times fast). It happens every year. A team looks great, loses a couple of key players, and nose dives. Another team gets abnormally good injury luck, and makes it to the second round of the playoffs. Definitely an X factor, and there’s no real accounting for it ahead of time!

I’m just trying to enjoy the ride while it lasts!

2 Likes

You’ve distilled my Fanboy pingponging life down to its essence. I feel so exposed…

It comes down to that OL. They need better play up front and in the trenches. Consistency starts in the trenches.

1 Like

SF has shown the unbelievable ability to peak early and fade late.

Most teams grow into the NFL season. Few teams ever start white hot and stay white hot.
As far as Dallas. As long as they have Dak at the helm they worry me very little. That Defense is solid but the offense will not be elite.
And I refuse to believe that Brock Purdy will ever win anything of substance.

So at the end of the season I only see the Lions and Philly as legit contenders to play in the Super Bowl as the NFC rep.

Now we just need to stay healthy.

2 Likes

Fine. I will back off my greatest-team-of-all-time prediction and settle for obvious Super Bowl favorites.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we’re going undefeated.

6 Likes

We don’t have the WRs to compete with a team like Dallas or the 49ers in my book. That group will be the what holds us back and will keep us avg on offense.