Dre Bly returns!

I was just going to say:

Will we finally have a coach who teaches the CBs to turn their heads around and play the ball? (Looking at you Jerry Jacobs)

6 Likes

Welcome home Big Play Dre!

4 Likes

It’s Dre Day, MF’rz!!! This guy has always been one of my fav lions. One of the very few jerseys I have bought.

I’m with you guys. Part of the reason Bly was able to make the plays he could was because he has recovery speed, which gave him confidence to play the ball, instead of the man. He was reliant upon his talent. Hope he can coach well. I have concerns for sure, in that regard.

I think he will bring confidence to them though. They will be taught to play the ball, believe in themselves, & definitely have a “Play for the pick first, play the ball later” mentality.

4 Likes

I’m not going to hold that against him At all. UNC doesn’t have the luxury of recruiting like others places do. He is coaching NFL talent now. He played the position and he was really good at it. He is gonna be a huge asset for the current corners and the rookies we bring in. MCDX clearly thinks the players respond bear to guys who have played the game and not just taught the game. Love the hire.

4 Likes

Bly stole Tony Grimes from Ohio State and then he didn’t develop probably as much as he should’ve.

I’m really happy to see Bly coming back here because of who he was as a player, but as a coach call me slightly concerned with this hire. He can obviously prove me wrong just like all these other coaches have.

5 Likes

He got talent and development out of lower ranked players, but couldnt get it done with grimes

Im concerned but intrigued about the hire

2 Likes

Does Dre know AG is returning??

1 Like

This is false, in 2021 UNC recruited the #14 class including the now best player in the country Drake Maye

In 2022 UNC recruited the #11 class

Are they Alabama or Georgia in recruiting? No, but they don’t play an Alabama or Georgia schedule either

1 Like

Oh boy. Good times then. Good times.

LOL

YESSSS!!!

I love me some Captain Bly…

1 Like

Considering that most players on the defense, especially CBs, left via transfer portal (CB Tony Grimes- Texas A&M, CB Tymir Brown, East Carolina, CB Dontae Balfour- Charlotte, CB Storm Duck-Penn State): Perhaps the problem wasn’t the coaching. Maybe it was philosophy or play calls.

I assume Bly is going to have a huge say in who the pick is at 6 (assuming we go CB). We’ll see with that guy how Bly really is as a coach.

1 Like

That would be a miracle!

So I was referring to recruiting at the corner position. Maye doesn’t play corner, his ranking has no bearing on Dre Boy’s coaching. Bly has coached 1 5 star and 1 4 star and all the rest have been 3 stars corners or average.

Most of these won’t be NFL pros or NFL starters. That was my point. He will be fine.

1 Like

North Carolina’s defense was horrendous the last few years at all levels from what I know of them so are we sure this is a good thing? Bly was a fun player to watch and seemed like a good guy but is he a good coach? Ehh…

2 Likes

Could be a great hire. He was one of the selfless players on the Lions. Always put the team first. He practiced against a Mike Martz offense.

2 Likes

North Carolina had really good recruiting classes under Mack Brown and plays a cupcake schedule (the ACC).
Not saying that Bly won’t be a good coach here but his resume isn’t exactly sparkling.

2 Likes

1 Like

Some being skeptical about the hire. UNC is not a football school. First is basketball. 2nd, 3rd and 4th is basketball. Did you guts not learn anything with what happened with the Lions in the 1st 8 weeks of the season when we were using practice squad players as WR? You need talent before you can succeed. Bly had shit to work with at UNC.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1621171659255463938?s=20&t=evmh0-GzidvIoUx4Hd5_yA

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1621186040802189312?s=20&t=evmh0-GzidvIoUx4Hd5_yA

https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/status/1621186444386619394?s=20&t=evmh0-GzidvIoUx4Hd5_yA

Literally don’t give a damn about what he did at UNC. At some point people will learn to just trust Brad and Dan.

11 Likes