Dre Bly returns!

I didn’t watch UNC much this year so I took a peak at some of their numbers. What they gave up on the ground was eye opening. I would have to guess their line and front 7 isn’t very good. Or maybe the coordinator has issues as well? Here are some highlights from last season:

297 - Duke
288 - App State
287 - Notre Dame
235 - Georgia State
209 - Oregon
186 - UVA
186 - Georgia Tech
170 - Wake Forest
131 - Pitt

4 Likes

I 100% agree w you brother. Just not worried about it. I’m excited to see what he can do w the corners. I’ll worry when we are getting torched in the secondary next year after an obvious upgrade at talent.

1 Like

Jay And Silent Bob GIF

I always liked Smith. Was kinda bummed he didn’t pan out the way I thought he could. Also, I like this Bly move. Hopefully we add a stud or two to the backfield and Bly’s able to get the most out of them.

2 Likes

Y E S!!!
Look @ the rest of the coaches, for cripe’s sake. Have a high level of faith!
Go teach 'em about Dre Day, bruh!

3 Likes

Makes me suspicious that we are going to be targeting a ball-hawk, or someone they feel could be.

3 Likes

Exactly, I mean how is Dre Bly going to look at Devon Witherspoon and not fall in love with that feisty player who loves a challenge…

4 Likes

AP got fired bc he refused to press the corners and it was soemthing Dan and AG wanted him to do and he kept not doing it until they had enough and canned him. Enter Dre Bly our best press corner in 20 plus years. Yea, I’m not worried at all.

6 Likes

I LOVE aggressive defense. Press cover & get after that QB. None of this “bent but not broken” bullshit.

5 Likes

Dre Day wooooohoooo!!

3 Likes

1 5 star, 1 4 star, & a handful of 3 stars in a three year run is plenty enough talent in the ACC to be successful.

You talk now about how he will have Pro players, those pro players will be defending Pro WR’s.

Talent is always relative head to head, you fail to see that point or aren’t acknowledging it within this discussion

Others in this thread have mentioned overall coaching on the defense, how they did vs the run, etc. Those context clues matter & are relevant discussions. I am not buying your talent discussion though at all

Get Bly a helmet and some shoulder pads, he’d easily be the best corner on the roster, he’s younger than Brady!

5 Likes

You literally said that North Carolina doesn’t have the luxury of recruiting that other places do. Get angry all you want but I was just contesting your notion that North Carolina doesn’t recruit well especially in the context of the league they play in.

Also, I never said that Bly is a bad coach. I’m just saying that he has an unproven resume. People are excited because he was an exciting Lions player, not because he has a track record of success as a coach.
With that said, we’ll just trust in Brad and Dan.

2 Likes

I’m not that concerned. If his corners aren’t playing up to their talent or not developing Dan will move on from him.

2 Likes

I’m fine with the hire, but let’s not act like every move they make is gonna work out. They brought in Pleasant and Lynn too. Skepticism on a message board is fine.

And personally I think both Tony Grimes and Storm Duck will be NFL players. Maybe day 2 picks.

2 Likes

This is the grand Dan Campbell experiment. The number of players he’s hired as coaches, it seems to my uneducated eye, an outlier.

BUT…I would think that as a coach you want three things to succeed. Scheme, Buy In, Technique.

Scheme is where the idea of the genius OC or HC lay. The idea that there’s a guru who has an idea that is so good it can generate success if competently executed.

Then there’s buy in. Do we have a coach who can get professionals to give their all. This is where college coaches (and coaches like Patricia) so often fail. MCDC seems to have this in aces.

Technique: There’s knowing desired results of the job, an knowing how to do the job so you get the desired results. This is where position coaches are the non coms of the NFL. How do we get the players to execute so the scheme works.

I’m highly intrigued by this staff’s inclination to max out on #2 and #3, and less concern for #1. It makes sense to me and I hope it pays dividends. Dan may well know he’s not a #1 kind of coach, but if you’re fantastic at #2 and #3#1 matters a whole lot less.

2 Likes

No way. Skepticism means you hate a) whatever you are skeptical about, b) whoever is supporting what you are skeptical about, and c) want both the thing you are skeptical about to fail and whoever is supporting what you are skeptical about to be wrong just so you can say, “Hahaha. Told you so!”

2 Likes

I am aware of what I said. You believe 3 star corners are great recruiting? 1 5 star and 1 4 star in 4 years makes the position group a strength? Drake maye and other positions that boost a recruiting class has literally no bearing on what I’m saying in regards to the corners.

Who is angry? My man, I promise you a person disagreeing w me on an anonymous message board does not faze me in the slightest. I love it. It’s fun. Debating is amazing. Very little in life gets me angry. And that is typically my problem. I am intentional and very rarely emotional. And my wife knows it too so I’m always in trouble. :joy::innocent::man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Yeah, I won’t hate on the choice but I will reserve judgement. Hopefully it works out. A lot to like about the hire but also some questions.

2 Likes

Hopefully Dre can get these corners to turn thier head locate the ball and make a play on it. Other than Joseph we have no ballhawks and we need that.

2 Likes

That is a simple way to look at it.

If you say so brother. And actually, I have shown I don see the point and I have acknowledged it and you are just looking to pick. I DON’T CARE WHAT HE DID AT UNC. That blanket statement covers the concerns on the defense and the the corner play while he was there. The belief that the recruiting can’t be held against him covers that statement im making. Posting comments from NICK on twitter further supports my position. Talking about the talent pool w Detroit supports my position. UNC may have been a bad fit for the players the scheme and the coaches working together….not worried about it. Not worried about Dre.

You could have just led w that and we could have moved on. Don’t agree. I don’t care. It would be boring if we all had the same Opinions in life.
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

1 Like