Duce Staley leaving Lions

Interesting, I’d rather lose Duce than BJ, but I wonder if this impacts Jamaal Williams free agency!? We rushed for over 2000 yards last year and 25 rushing TD’s, Duce deserves credit for leading that group. Sucks to lose him.

6 Likes

Good point… who’s gonna take over RB coach/running game duties?

I’m not worried about it, but curious as to see how all the shuffling goes…

Side note - is anyone else a little overwhelmed with nfl rumors/coaching stuff? Maybe we should have a separate thread that’s just a dump of all the BS or truth going on lol… I honestly cannot keep up

6 Likes

And we need a new assistant head coach.

2 Likes

Peace out, Duce.

U da man, thanks for at times getting Swift to just freaking turn upfield…

4 Likes

Ben Johnson, tanner engstrand goes to take over BJs role,… or maybe Randal el or Kelvin sheppard get a promotion? Or heck maybe Aaron Glenn gets assistant HC?

1 Like

Usually the assistant head coach is not a coordinator. But, sometimes they are, so who knows!?

1 Like

Do we? Do all teams have assistant head coaches?

6 Likes

I guess it’s just a title, but most teams have one.

1 Like

I don’t think we HAVE to, but since it was a big role in Dan’s path to coaching, I feel like he is the pay it forward type to want to continue that.

6 Likes

Maybe JT Barrett gets the promotion to RB coach and we bring in another young guy as an offensive assistant.

4 Likes

As the season went on, it looked like Swift was starting to realize that going sideways doesn’t work in the NFL like it did for him in college. Duce was the perfect guy to teach Swift that because he was a battering ram on the field. No wiggle, just power.

4 Likes

This doesn’t move the needle for me very much. Perhaps the players probably viewed the Duce/Glenn clown show differently than I did. Perhaps he had a greater impact on the team and cohesion than I saw as a distant observer. I wish him well.

6 Likes

I trust DC to handle the coaching staff… promote guys who deserve it, be open and honest about fluctuating and changing roles… I don’t think he’d throw anyone under the bus but I do think he’d be honest about his vision and development of the coaching staff and who he wants in place.

Staley leaving could very well be because he knows Reich and he wants to be close to home… could have nothing to do with the lions at all.

5 Likes

Apparently his mother is not doing the best health wise from beat reporters and hes from Carolina

Makes sense for family reasons

Hope he does well, he did alot for the run game, and he will be missed

5 Likes

We hired a new TE coach this week and the former TE coach and passing game coordinator Tanner Engstrand is still with the Lions. I think he’s getting promoted, why else would we hire a new TE coach!?

3 Likes

That seems to be the case.

To share my thoughts on the Lions, though…
Fraley has been here a while. Our run-game pre-Duce was not good. I’m not confident in Fraley alone and hope we bring in a run-game coordinator and RB coach that can produce the way Duce has.

2 Likes

Oh, no!
He’s going to make a run at Jamaal, and Jamaal loves Duece.
Ferging marthafarging bastitches!
Wait! Wait! Wait! He’s an Asst. HC. The only step up is Reichs chair. That’s why you make someone Asst. HC, to protect them from being poached.
They’d need permission to even talk to him, and they’d have to offer him a promotion.
I smell bullshit.

2 Likes

exactly what I was thinking. They have been in communication & he wanted to take care of Dan on his way out the door…My guess, of course.

Maybe he saw the Panthers running backs drop 320 yards on AG’s defense and said ■■■■ it! haha

1 Like

I remember the scene from hard knocks… where they were talking about who to keep at RB. From what I recall, they were close to cutting Reynolds, yet Staley spoke up for him, and I believe Fraley did as well, saying the OL loved blocking for him, he was a great core guy, etc. Reynolds had his injuries so never really played a role this year.

Not that that has anything to do with anything but I remember that scene.

I would credit our run game as much to Fraley as to Staley. Staley definitely held a high standard for the RBs, he also said first thing if you wanna start you better be able to pass block.

2 Likes