Early 2022 Lions mock draft round-up: Picking really high, taking QB

From Lines.com
2nd overall pick, taking QB Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma

Walter Football:
2nd overall, QB Sam Howell, North Carolina
The Lions have traded Matthew Stafford. They’ll give Jared Goff a shot, but if he fails like he’s expected to, the Lions could be drafting in the top three. If so, they’ll be targeting one of the top quarterbacks in the 2022 class.

Sam Howell threw for 38 touchdowns in 2019, which was a Division I-A record for a freshman. He doesn’t have ideal size (6-1, 225), but there’s no doubting his throwing ability.

Kevin Hanson, eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com
3rd overall, Rattler
Since 2018, two Sooner quarterbacks (Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray) have been selected first overall and another (Jalen Hurts) was a second-round pick. If the Lions are picking this high in 2022, it’s possible that they could look to reset at quarterback.

If there’s a quarterback that will challenge Howell for the honor to be 2022’s QB1, it’s most likely Rattler.

Trevor Sikkema, The Draft Network
2nd overall, QB Kedon Slovis, USC
The 2021 draft started with a run on quarterbacks, so why not do the same the following year? Kedon Slovis, like many quarterbacks in this class, needs a good amount of polish still but has the size and the arm to be a top selection.

Ian Cummings, Pro Football Network
Lions 1st overall (the first one not to name the Texans there)
QB Malik Willis, Liberty
We have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen with this quarterback class. There are plenty of names congested at the top, but it’s different in 2022. While the 2021 NFL Draft had an excess of high-level QB talent, the 2022 NFL Draft suffers from a lack of clarity. Any one of Spencer Rattler, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Carson Strong, J.T. Daniels, or Matt Corral could be the pick. But I’m going with someone else entirely.

Malik Willis is a massive sleeper in next year’s QB class, and he has the natural talent to pace his position. A former Auburn commit, he emerged with the Liberty Flames in 2020, throwing for 2,260 yards, 20 scores, and 6 interceptions. He also ran for 944 yards and 14 scores.

Willis is an elite athlete at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, and he also has tantalizing arm talent and off-script ability. On top of that, he’s a humble, hard-working player, and he’s sure to pass character evaluations if he works his way into the QB1 conversation.

Ryan Wilson, CBS Sports:
2nd overall, QB Sam Howell, North Carolina
We’ll find out if Jared Goff is the answer in Detroit, and if he’s not the Lions will be in the market for a franchise QB. Howell has some of the same gunslingin’ traits as the last face of the franchise, Matthew Stafford.

Brent Sobleski, Bleacher Report
2nd overall, Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
(The first one to think the Lions will suck enough to be at the top of the draft, but will still not move on from Goff – at least with their top first-round pick.)
The Detroit Lions spent the majority of the 2021 draft addressing the trenches. The team chose Oregon’s Penei Sewell, Washington’s Levi Onwuzurike and North Carolina State’s Alim McNeill with its first three selections.

The continuation of this trend should occur as high as the Lions are projected to pick with yet another elite talent from the Northwest sitting near the top of the class.

Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux will challenge for the No. 1 spot in the 2022 draft. He’s a game-wrecker. The 6’5", 250-pound edge-defender has the size, length, athleticism, burst and flexibility to be considered a similar talent to previous top picks Jadeveon Clowney and Myles Garrett.

“His body is continuing to grow larger, stronger, more explosive, more flexible,” Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal told the Register-Guard’s Ryan Thorburn. "His football IQ continues to increase. …

“The combination of all those things, and with a guy that wants to win championships, it’s exactly what you want for your football team.”

Luke Easterling, USA TODAY Draft Wire:
2nd overall, Rattler

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News:
2nd overall, Slovis
The Lions will be looking for their future at the position beyond Jared Goff in 2022. Slovis should have a breakout season as an efficient and accurate passer ahead.

Glynn Morgan, PointsBet via NBC Sports:
2nd overall, QB J.T. Daniels, Georgia (Here we go again!)
Detroit can get out from under starting quarterback Jared Goff’s contract by 2023, so taking a younger less expensive option may be appealing. The Lions had 12 entertaining years with former Georgia Bulldog, Matt Stafford and may dip into that same talent pool, by taking Daniels with their first of two, day one picks.

I won’t say it’s impossible, but I say it is improbable that we are that bad. I’ve got us winning around 6 games and picking 3 to 7-ish

If Goff does well enough, we won’t spend our highest pick on a QB: it’d be a WR like Pickens or Ross, assuming they come out and are as amazing as we think they’ll be.

If Goff shits the bed, yes, QB with our top pick. It’d have to be.

5 Likes

I am hoping we pull a New England here… we repeat what they just did with their first round QB!

In almost every mock draft I did this year I was able to pick up multiple guys that ended up being 1st round players.

I was high on Zach Wilson long before most had even heard of him. Many early 2021 mocks had him available in the 2nd round. He stayed late 1st round until insiders started hearing that the Jets planned on taking him.

Zaven Collins is another guy I was high on and still think he could be a better LB than Parson. He ended up going 16th overall but was available late first/early 2nd in mocks up until rumors started coming out that Arizona really liked him.

Jamin Davis was another guy I really liked and could easily get him in the 2nd or many cases 3rd round to pair with Collins and gave me dreams of fundamentally changing our defense in 1 draft. 19 overall.

Leatherwood was another guy that I frequently picked up in the 2nd round to fill our RT needs.

Year after year guys I identify very early on as studs end up going in the 1st round when many/most mocks still have them 2nd or later even up to the draft.

Both have injury issues. Pickens shouldn’t be a big deal long term whereas Ross’ future is less certain.

I hope Goff takes this noise to heart, and uses it as motivation to shut some people up

3 Likes

Want A Cookie GIF by Cheeze2k

5 Likes

Looking forward to finding out more about the Goff-miester.

So who are you projecting for next year? I’m curious

Things can change at the QB spot. What seems like a meh class can turn around in a hurry. But right now, I would skip QB even if Goff sucked, and drafted the DE from Oregon just so we have one more guy on our defense whose name I can’t spell. And also because he is really damn good. And then make sure to grab Garrett Wilson with the second pick. The guy is going to be a stud in the NFL.

1 Like

I’d be upset if we were but in all honesty I can see it happening fairly easily.

We are so thin at WR and TE that a couple key injuries and Goff has no one to throw to. A one sided offense is fairly easy to stop.

We’ve got to find some weapons somewhere. We’re basically hoping someone steps up and leads the group.

They ask Hill to be a veteran leader in the film room. He took one look at the roster and retired … lol

It could get ugly pretty easily.

I’m having nightmares of Kris Durham again.

If Goff or Swift goes down - we are completely screwed. Maybe the same with Hoch. I’m slightly concerned for Swift’s health, going into this situation.

Didn’t Ross have some sort of spine injury. Broken back or something? … those can be tricky.

The two WR’s out of OSU are interesting. I kinda like Olave. He’s got some wheels.

I’m not that big on Perriman so if Williams goes down we really do not have a reliable WR.

If Hock goes down we have no one at TE worth a salt.

We’re going to need some of this youth at WR to really step it up.

1 Like

Yeah, Ross had some kind of spinal issue so some extreme uncertainty about his future. I guess he has a one year check up with his surgeon in June at which point he’ll have a better idea if it’s safe to play football or not. I like Olave decently well but personally I prefer Wilson out of the Ohio State guys.

One ‘22 wide receiver that I love is Jalen Torbert of South Alabama. If he is able to end up running sub 4.5 I think he can be a top 50 pick. Thought he could’ve been a mid to late day 2 guy if he came out this year and timed decently well.

With the obvious caveat that we have yet to see him take a snap I would gladly kick picking a QB down the road until 2023. Go draft a playmaker either side of the ball with both picks in round one and add a couple of quality pieces via FA.

If Goff gives us league average quarter back play for two years then we should be able to get a couple of day two picks for him if not more come 2023 and go get D.J Uiagalelei with our two first rounders and whatever we get for Goff and put him in a very good situation.

I’ve looked at most of the QBs for next year so far and the only 2 that “might” be worth a first rounder in my eyes are Willis and Howell. The others are pretty uninspiring choices.

I’m really hoping Goff does well so we don’t need to think about QB next season.

i think most teams can say if they lose their starting QB, RB and a receiver or two they will be in big trouble

3 Likes

I agree not sure about WR but agree on if we take QB…