Early 2022 Lions mock draft round-up: Picking really high, taking QB

I just want Goff to do well so we don’t have to look for a qb next year because next year’s crop, overall, doesn’t look good.

2 Likes

I agree an its same poster mainly who were anti Matt now are anti Goff an will not be happy until we draft a QB that can run even if most winning SB teams outside of KC don’t have a running QB . Fans chase this idea an yet how many did Tom win or Brees or Rodgers or Peyton even his brother was not a running QB.

Its same BS chase what looks good an not what is really good. Some just have to have a shiny toy to hope that media will talk about Lions.

I don’t think they look at a QB next draft so why not look for some sound top end position players. Oh an while your at it how about rooting for the Lions to win games not tank so you can whine about a shiny new toy.

1 Like

First…

grinch smile GIF

Second, Olave is a better fit for Goff. Plain and simple. He’s more of a “Goff-style” receiver like Tyrell Williams. He reminds me a lot of Tyrell actually.

Wilson is a better pro prospect IMO though. He’s got the better frame and physical tools.

Honestly, I’d love either, and I think the step off from them to the next receivers is pretty sizable with Ross’s injury, at least for now.

3 Likes

I think we’re in better hands with Boyle than Daniels or Blough last year. With Boyle has the arm to keep the same offensive scheme going, IMO, rather than a neutered version. Of course, Blough has more real game experience than Boyle, so, yeah, we could be screwed.

2 Likes

Check out Jalen Tolbert. I think you’ll like him.

Another guy that actually reminds me of Olave who was supposed to have a day 2 grade had he entered the ‘21 draft is Samori Toure. Both Omar Manning and him could really move up boards if Nebraska can somehow find half decent QB play. That seems unlikely though.

Yeah I really like the look of that Tolbert kid, nice find. Gonna have to watch him through some full games this fall.

He’s a little boom/bust but his QB play is pretty bad as well. I happened to watch the Southern Mississippi game live bc I was jonesing for some football and he was awesome. Just from the box scores it does seem like he was held in check quite a few games as well. I just really like that he’s both a high pointing, hands catching bully and a YAC threat with some fairly impressive acceleration. That combo gives him a really high upside IMO and could lead to him being drafted pretty high depending on how fast he proves to be.

One pundit over at CBS Sports has Wilson as the No. 1 WR ranked higher than Olave:

Way-too-early top 100 rankings for the 2022 NFL Draft class:

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
  2. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
  3. Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
  4. George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue
  5. Demarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M
  6. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
  7. Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
  8. George Pickens, WR, Georgia
  9. Derion Kendrick, CB, Clemson
  10. Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma
  11. Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M
  12. Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC
  13. Nick Broeker, OT, Ole Miss
  14. Noah Daniels, CB, TCU
  15. Joe Ngata, WR, Clemson
  16. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
  17. Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M
  18. Zion Nelson, OT, Miami
  19. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
  20. Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina
  21. Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
  22. Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB, TCU
  23. DJ Dale, DL, Alabama
  24. Charles Cross, OL, Mississippi State
  25. Jaxson Kirkland, OL, Washington

Willis and Jackson seem to be too low. I think Kendrick is too high. He was lights out as a Sophomore though so maybe he gets back to that level. He got picked on a fair amount when I watched him last year.

And where is Zach Harrison? I get that it’s still just potential but I think he’s got the best shot to enter the elite guys out of players that aren’t there yet. Super talented and still only 19 years old. I think he’s right up there with Thibodeaux if the light bulb goes on this year.

Xavier Thomas is another wildcard. He could have a Jalen Phillips like ascension depending on his play.

My prediction: Lions will pick in the back half of the top ten and take WR George Pickens.

1 Like

Do you think his ACL recovery will go well enough to get licked that high? Dude is a beast when right.

I think he’ll make it back and be able to show enough to get picked top ten. Not my first choice next year just looking at our roster makeup I think they may prioritize a WR next season. Hopefully Goff shows us we don’t need to go QB or WR and we can come out of this draft with an elite defensive prospect.

Problem is he tore it during spring practice, so he would have to recover really quickly to have a chance at playing any games in 2021. And it usually takes awhile to fully recover after a torn ACL anyway, so even if he does come back I don’t think he’ll be at his best.

Yeah. I’m hoping he might be a target with the first from the Rams for that reason.

1 Like

If he comes out after not playing for all of 2021 off a torn ACL, I could see him lasting into the 2nd. His testing will be really important obviously, but that will take place around a year or so after the injury, so he might not test so great either.

His best bet really would be to stick around in 2022, sadly.

I think Henry To’oto’o has a chance to really rise as well. He and Harris are going to be an elite line backing tandem. The rich get richer.

DT or DL, please!
WR with other first rounder!

Gonna have lots of freedom to work FA next season too.

I think Willis is too low and Rattler is way too high. To me Rattler looks like a day 2 QB to me.

I think Rattler is the odds-on favorite to go #1 overall. I think he’s a punk and don’t want him anywhere near our team, but his arm talent is completely legit. And you know he’s gonna put up huge numbers for that team in that conference.

His deep accuracy isn’t that great IMO as far as being able to hit guys in stride. That Iowa st. game was pretty impressive though in that he was able throw it in tight windows. I don’t know though it’ll be interesting to see if each QB progresses next year.

If had to choose a QB right now though I would choose Howell without hesitating.