Favorite horror/sci-fi movies!

So this is inspired by @TNutZz mentioning The Menu which is streaming on HBO max… it was one of the better horror movies I’ve seen in awhile and just curious who here likes horror/sci-fi stuff and what are some of your favorites.

For me personally, two of the scarier horror movies I’ve seen in the last few years have been Hereditary and Midsommar.

But horror movies don’t also have to be scary! They can be cheesy, somewhat scary/funny, it’s the beauty of the genre. I feel like people enjoy horror for a lot of different reasons and in general just a very cool genre.

So just off the top of my head, some of my all time favorite horror/sci-fi movies/tv shows

Twin peaks (obviously)
Fire in the sky
Any nightmare on elm street
Insidious series
Scream series
The Shining
Most Stephen king movies
Space odyssey 2001
Psycho
The Birds

And recent favorites would be for sure:

Hereditary
Midsommar
Get out
The menu
Smile

Ok I’ll stop there but those are some of the ones that first came to mind. Would love to hear what everyone else digs!

Oh geez and I left out Twilight Zone and Night Gallery. Twilight Zone is definitely tops as well, could always watch those

The old Salems lot used to give me nightmares as a kid :vampire:

I love a good horror movie. It’s my favorite genre

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d call it a horror movie (thriller?) but I’d recommend Last Night In Soho on HBO Max. Edgar Wright film so good soundtrack, interesting cinematography and his patented kinetic editing style.

3 Likes

Yes! That is a good one for sure! Creepy vampires, I like that one a lot

1 Like

Jaws
Poltergeist
Close Encounters of the 3rd kind.
Alien

3 Likes

I need to see that but have heard good things, and yes that counts!

1 Like

Those are all excellent choices I agree

Funny story about poltergeist, when my grandpa saw it in the theater at some point in it he screamed out “Jesus Christ!” I forget which part it was though…

1 Like

You ever see Dead Again with Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branaugh
and Robin Williams? It’s a similar film IMO.

4 Likes

No! Oh man I’m definitely gonna find that… Robin Williams is an all time favorite

1 Like

Just off the top of my head, given the narrow parameters. These will change weekly…

1. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
  2. Let the Right One In (2008)
  3. The Thing (1982)
  4. Motel Hell (1980)
  5. Heavy Metal (1981)
  6. The Other (1972)
  7. 28 Days Later (2002)
  8. Event Horizon (1997)
  9. 12 Monkeys (1995)
  10. Lucy (2014)
3 Likes

Event horizon is awesome! I have not seen a lot of those, I’m going to put them on the list, thank you!

2 Likes

Killer Klowns from outer space is on Svengoolie on MeTV now and I have never seen it but am enjoying it. But definitely in the b movie horror category. But still enjoyable!

1 Like

Dead Again is terrific.

3 Likes

Highly recommend “Let the Right One In”. It’s Swedish with sub-titles, but holy shit!

10/10

3 Likes

Absolutely, I have seen it come up just have not watched it yet but have heard good things. I’ll definitely watch!

1 Like

Ex- Machina
Upgrade
The Platform
Cube
The Black Phone
Wait Until Dark
Rob Zombie Movies
Green Room
The Wicker Man
Saw

4 Likes

Also, second this. A Sci-Fi that makes you think.

3 Likes

Directed by the writer of 28 Days Later. Worked with Danny Boyle a ton. Speaking of Danny Boyle, Shallow Grave is quite good. But again not a traditional horror film.

2 Likes

Just noticed the OP’s mention of “Fire in the Sky”. Probably the freakiest alien encounter I’ve witnessed in a film.

I do LOVE film !!!

2 Likes