Fields dazzles through the air after exciting 40-yard dash at Ohio State's Pro Day

I saved this one for its own post.

This isn’t an argument or statement I was making. I was answering a question about OSU vs ND state.

But I’ll play and answer your question anyway.

Purdue, Notre Damn, Alabama, Miami and Stanford are some of biggest names that have turned out an impressive list of QB’s. There are many more.

I am a Notre Dame grad and in the modern era they have had two great QBs… Joe Montana and Joe Theismann…they was before I was born. Miami had a nice run of QBs in the 80s with Jim Kelly and Vinny Testaverde…but Steve Walsh flopped and so did every Miami QB after him. Stanford had John Elway and Andrew Luck…anybody else is probably before any of us were born. The bottom line is just because OSU QBs have flopped in the NFL doesn’t mean Justin Fields will. As I said, if that were the case how come Drew Bledsoe made it and not Ryan Leaf? Did Mike Price prepare one better than the other? Same for Lloyd Carr and his QBs… :man_shrugging:

Forgot about Bernie Kosar for Miami

Once again your making an argument about something I never said.

Did I say anywhere at all that I thought Fields would suck or flop? … no I did not.

Your making a lot of assumptions I never made and arguing against your own assumptions.

Go back and read the questions asked and the answers I gave. I answered others questions and did so with actual facts.

Ryan Day runs far from a one read offense. Sure Fields played with NFL talent and he got to play against some to. What has he done to hurt his stock? Go to OSU? Bottom line is he looks like one hell of a dual threat weapon prospect at the QB position with a ceiling as high as any other QB in the draft including TL.

No their offense is a one read offense. That’s what they do. They do not ask their QB’s to read defense, make a read or to make adjustments. The QB has one read to make. This is a known fact. Believe it or not.

Someone asked a question about OSU vs ND state. I answered and nothing more.

Yes he does … I’ve made this point many times. His upside is high … but there’s also a reason why he’s not in the same conversations as TL and Wilson. It’s also the reason a guy like Mac Jones may get drafted before him … Those reasons are the reasons I gave above. They are also some of the biggest concerns about him. He’s far more boom or bust… much like Lance is.

If that were the case you wouldn’t mention that OSU don’t prepare their QBs for the NFL. Seems to me you want to take a strong position but leave yourself open to not look like you were wrong just in case you are wrong. So if Fields does flop you can say “See, told y’all OSU QBs aren’t prepared for the NFL in that system” and then if Fields does not flop you can say “well I never said he’d fail”. Truth is he could do one or the other but whichever one it is it won’t be because of OSU and their preparation of QBs. It will be because of Fields and his desire to fail or succeed. As I said I don’t think Mike Price prepared Drew Bledsoe any better or different than Ryan Leaf…but we definitely saw different results between the two. Phil Fulmer had both Heath Shuler & Peyton Manning, I doubt he prepared them differently for the NFL.

1 Like

Jesus … Why do you want to put words in mouth and make assumptions I never made? … for the love of god! What’s so wrong with actually listening to the point a person makes?

I answered a question with an actual fact. That fact is that OSU runs a one read offense. They do not ask their QB to make reads. This leaves their QB’s unprepared for the NFL. This is a large portion of why Haskins struggled.

Yes he could fail or succeed… I’ve always said he’s a boom or bust guy. But your making a lot of assumptions on why he will or won’t fail. You have no idea how much impact the current OSU system will have on his development. What we do know is Haskins struggled because of it and having no experience reading defenses will make his learning curve much harder.

Good thing Texas Tech had Graham Harrell, Davis Webb, and Kliff Kingsbury paving the way for NFL success to be enjoyed by Pat Mahomes. (this is definitely sarcastic BTW… because I don’t buy the narrative that certain colleges or even “schemes” can’t produce good NFL QBs).

Than your in the minority and in my opinion your thinking is flawed

It’s a known fact that QB’s and OL who come out of pro style offenses have a higher success rate in the NFL… well known fact actually.

It’s funny bc earlier in this thread there is a clip with Dan Orlovsky telling Pat McAfee that anyone who says Fields can’t get off #1 shouldn’t be be listened to. Dan’s opinion not mine.

This was primarily what I objected to. Haskins IMO primarily failed bc he was an immature, unprofessional kid. His personality is so incredibly different then Fields and that really matters.

Since when are pro days QB workouts not scripted. Generally speaking that’s how they work.

3 Likes

Actually Air, this isn’t true. It looked like it some of the time because Day often told Fields to just take off if his first or second read wasn’t there, but it wasn’t because he couldn’t read more progressions, it was because of the complexity of the offense. I am very curious what evidence you have other than I guess game film to make these claims. I’ll tell you that I got mine from not only watching every snap of the Ryan Day offense myself over the last 4 years, but Daniel Jeremiah dropped this info during the pro day a couple of days ago on tape for you.

Ryan Day’s offense is actually very pro style. It takes longer for the QB to go through his progressions because it has a bunch of college kids making NFL level route adjustments mid-play, and then asks the QB and the reciever to be on the same page with that adjustment, and then tells the QB to make the throw. This is the literal cause of his 2nd INT in the Northwestern game, was that the reciever and QB weren’t on page with the route adjustment. If the reciever had made the correct adjustment to run an out instead of an out-and-up, it’s a 10 yard completion instead of an INT. They also had a relatively inexperienced reciever doing that too instead of Chris Olave who wasn’t there.

And before I keep going, I’ll say this…

You know everyone does this right?? Also, it just so happens that it wasn’t OSU running the script. It was some QB coach that also did the script for Zach Wilson at his BYU pro day.

Now, where was I?

Oh right. Complex reads in the OSU offense.

So you guys know that it is possible to not read coverages in an NFL offense right? I like how everyone knocks Fields for “not being able to read coverages” when his reads are twice as hard, and then just gives Mac Jones a pass for it. I know for a fact that Mac Jones didn’t read a single coverage last year, and I also know for a fact that Matt Ryan didn’t read a single coverage for a few years.

That’s right. The great Steve Sarkisian, get this, doesn’t read coverages to make his offense work. He also just had one of the two most lethal offenses in CFB history with that philosophy.

Now I have no idea what A-Lynn is going to do. He probably does read coverages for all I know. Regardless, at least we don’t have to worry about us drafting this kid. Imagine the controversy on this board.

3 Likes

@CuriousHusker…thank you I was just gonna say that about Haskins

RG3 was going to be great until Shanahan got him injured beyond repair. The guy’s rookie year was fabulous. His QB rating his rookie season is better than any Lions QB ever registered in a full season. His TD-Int ratio was 4:1, which would also be the best in a season for a Lions QB. Had Shanahan not left him out to get severely injured, his career would have turned out quite differently.

I think Michigan put out 6 consecutive QB’s to be drafted by an NFL team.

This is one of the best posts I’ve read on this forum- Kudos!!!

1. Brady
  2. Montana
  3. P Manning
  4. Elway
  5. Brees
  6. Marino(less wins/stats/rings vs Brees better arm)
  7. A Rodgers
  8. B Farve
  9. R Wilson
  10. Steve Young
  11. Kurt Warner
  12. Big Ben
  13. Pat Mahomes
  14. Eli Manning
  15. Jim Kelly
  16. Troy Aikman
  17. Phil Rivers
  18. Matt Ryan
  19. Warren Moon
  20. Palmer? Stafford? Newton?

My point is not whether you agree with my rankings. I’m not sure I do 100%. It’s relatively accurate though. I didn’t account for anyone before Montana or Kelly era for good reason. It’s hard enough to quantify those guys. Aikmans team won super bowls with him completing 57% of his passes with 22 tds and 14 ints during a season. That’s Andy Dalton.

Hell Jon Kitna is a top 52 all time yardage leader- think about that!!! Flacco, A Smith and Fitzmagic are top 30 all time.

Teams are chasing unicorns. Somebody last night stated Mahomes might be facing a decline soon. I AGREE! Ty Hill will eventually get dinged up at his size, and Kelce won’t be Kelce at 34/35…

Football is about 2-3 year windows unless you find one of those top 7-8 all time guys and stay with him through good and bad.

You all don’t think GB was spoiled to see Rodgers win a SB so soon, and be dry since? If Goff plays 7 more years, he will be in that top 20 list and I think he will.

Fields will either suck, or be great but it has nothing to do with Ohio State…

Oklahoma can claim Baker, Kyler and technically Jalen Hurts. 3 young starters.

Fields went to Georgia too where Stafford went, does that count?

Lawrence and Watson will be proof for Clemson, or what if Watson goes to prison and Lawrence busts? Do teams avoid Clemson QBs?

Ryan Day has changed the program at Ohio State. At one time they didn’t get the best passers consistently. They are getting more and more blue chip QBs now. And not option QBs, but true passers. It started with Haskins’ success and recruits seeing Ohio State go away from the run option and pass more. And you can’t even compare Haskins and Fields very well because Day changed the offense again to feature Fields’ strength.

There is nothing inherent in Ohio State’s program that would prevent QBs with different coaches and offense schemes from succeeding. What’s going on is a bunch of salty Michigan fans sick of losing to Ohio State, found something to knock Ohio State for.

2 Likes

I will be VERY interested to see how people here will complain when Quinn Ewers comes out in about 4 years. They’ll find something.

There’s a difference between saying he can’t do it and he wasn’t asked to do it.

He also wasn’t asked to read and learn defenses.

If your not asked to do something your going to have a learning curve. Your going to struggle when asked to do it. It’s going to take time to get good at it.

I totally agree with you. & looking at your list, while all those QBs are great QBs none are from the same school…which to me KILLS THE NOTION of a QB being from a particular school is the reason he will not be successful. But I would like to day this about the Oklahoma QBs that are all currently starting…their story isn’t written yet. Jalen Hurts, at the moment, is no different than Dwayne Haskins. I give Baker a lot of credit and credibility for guiding the Browns not only to 11 wins and a playoff berth, but also crushing the Steelers on their home field is the wildcard game and nearly beating the Chiefs in KC in the divisional round.