Film Critique Of Hutch Against Chicago

Could be.

I’m not saying our D is a world beater now, obviously it isn’t, but part of the reason is has been a bit more tolerable is the emergence of Paschal. He’s done some dirty work in there without a ton of credit. Swapping out him for Brockers seems to have helped.

1 Like

Personally, I’m thrilled to death with the player that Hutchinson is. He’s a franchise player in the truest sense of the word.

6 Likes

shoulda woulda coulda, Fields is going to be a handful for awhile. On the flipside, the Bears are saying Hutch is going to be a handful for awhile.

2 Likes

Right. They left him unblocked because that’s what the play called for – based on the play design, the DE in the opposite 9 gap is someone who doesn’t need to be accounted for.
I’m not sure that there’s three other players in the league who could have made that play.

3 Likes

Yeah then he would definitely be eating at the front of the line.

1 Like

Hutch is a better player and prospect the Chase Young. You are under selling Hutch here. And I’ll bet if healthy he performs better the young. It will end up with better rookie production then young also. Chase was overhyped big time.

2 Likes

Health is a large part of the process, so you could be right. I hope I am underselling. During the draft process, I thought he was just below the most talented guys in the last five years or so in terms of ceiling. Doesn’t mean he isn’t very good or won’t be productive. Moreso means I’m nitpicking.

2 Likes

His intensity makes up for some, Hutch is producing like he is as a rookie without much help on that front, our DTs are bottom of the barrel types. Has another rookie that’s only played a few games on the other side. If you ask me he’s making some really good soup while working with grass and water.

5 Likes

I get both perspectives on Hutch as a prospect. I’m a UM fan, so I know I can look at Michigan guys through biased lenses (I try to counter that and be aware of that tendency while on this board).

Even tampering down my expectations for Hutch, I viewed him as a very ‘high floor’ guy. Like, he may not be a hall of famer or all-pro. However, it seemed very very unlikely that he would flame out in to be NFL. He had a crazy work ethic, was very team oriented, had good measurables, and was coachable. So, I thought that solid/above average starter was his floor, barring injury disasters.

For fairness, I had a similar thought about Okudah, who is obviously from OSU. He has just had really bad injury luck, and has impressed the heck out of me with this year’s comeback. Most guys don’t put in the work to come back as well as he has.

Now that Hutch is a Lion, and has had a very promising first year, I’m hoping he can reach lofty heights. If we found a JJ Watt or Bruce Smith, hoo boy we could be cooking in a year or two.

3 Likes

I like Alim, but getting him and Hutch a dynamic DT who can play the style of D they want (shooting gaps) will really benefit both of them IMO. Buggs actually made a really nice play on Fields last game on one of the sacks although he didn’t get the sack, but yeah we need a 3 tech IMO.

3 Likes

Yep, great way to put it for me as well. I viewed Hutch as a safe high-floor pick with maybe not quite the high ceiling of the very best to come along lately i.e. Garrett, Young, Bosas.

2 Likes

The Jared Allen comparisons before the draft have held up pretty well so far. That would be a perfectly fine career arc for Hutch. We’ll see.

6 Likes

I really think so too, man. Hutch is a long way from his ceiling, right now…and he’s already awesome. I’d take Hutch over young 10/10 times.

1 Like

very well put, brother. Exactly how I feel.

I think the guy doing the critique spent too much time worrying about what Hutch would have to do to make the play on Fields to the outside. What he needed to spend some time thinking about is what happens when other teams have tried to beat Fields to the outside and he cuts it upfield. Thats when he kills you. So far the best bet for limiting the damage is to string Fields out to the sideline.

3 Likes

I like Alim too, but to me he is just a boarder line starter or a really good rotational guy. Maybe he does better with more help also. But me I’m looking for 2 new DTs and him as a pretty good 3rd guy.

If Holmes feels this way, I’m behind it.
I would like to see Alim in a situation where he’s next to a better DT, so we can Get a better assessment on him. Right now, Alim is “the guy” on the interior…only because we suck on the interior. Nick Fairley was nowhere near as good without Suh. Let’s get a good DT out there next to him and see how he does. Just my opinion.
If we could get 2 complete badass DT’s I’d ba all about that too.

1 Like

Personally I think he was clearly playing a gap as instructed to do. He is clearly making a decisive move to his right and sets himself as if that was his assignment. To me it looks like he was doing exactly what he was being asked to do, and once the play moves beyond his gap he goes into pursuit mode.

1 Like

Personally I’m more curious about play number 4, where Fields scrambles in for the TD.

Looks like Hutch has outside contain on that play. He beats his man and forces Fields to scramble back to his right. Once Hutch goes into pursuit mode (leaving his outside contain position) Field scrambles back to the left and gets to the end zone for the TD.

Should Hutch have maintained his position under the assumption that Fields might cut back that way, or was he OK going into pursuit at that point once the original play broke down?

Chase Young is incredibly overrated. Hutch is and will be better than him.
He’s not Bosa level, those guys are freaks