Just on pure athletics - RAS.

1. Chase Young
  2. Aiden Hutchinson
  3. Nick Bosa

But who is the better player?

1. Nick Bosa
  2. Aiden Hutchinson
  3. Chase Young

I think Aiden can catch Nick Bosa. He needs to get much stronger and have better teammates and coaching.

1 Like

Yes to all of this

I banged the table all spring for Kayvon Thibodeaux. That was my guy.

…but Hutchinson was the right pick. He is way more athletic than I thought he would be. Campbell or Glenn said the same thing during Hard Knocks. I recall Sewell having an up-down start to his rookie season, then settled in with consistent play, and I expect the same for Hutch.

Holmes nailed the Sewell and Hutchinson picks. Two cornerstones this franchise can build on.

3 Likes

I wanted us to take Hutch, mostly because of the high floor and great locker room presence, but he’s working out better than I thought he would too. Can’t wait to see his ceiling. Gonna be a top tier pass rusher for us.

1 Like

Physically he’s most comparable to Jared Allen.

1 Like

And while Chase is faster than Hutch, he’d be hard pressed to match Hutch’s 3 cone time of 6.73 which I believe is like 2nd all-time for DEs. That’s crazy change of direction which we saw put into full effect on that banzai tackle Hutch had on the Bears RB.

Sauce is looking like he might be a decade-long all pro. I wanted Hutch or Thibs but had Sauce as my #3 guy and thought he was least likely to fail. He’s the sort of CB you’d build in a lab.

3 Likes

Looked to me like he did exactly what he was supposed to. Guarded against the inside handoff then helped keep edge contain

2 Likes

Oh man… I would take a Jared Allen career too! That dude tore us up for YEARS…

Its weird how similar they are. Tall white guys around 6’-6" who are nearly identical in weight and have slightly shorter than ideal arm length for the position. And both of them test very well athletically, even at their height. I have told the story before, but Dick Vermiel said that they drafted Jared to be a longsnapper with position player upside. After a few training camps practices where Jared was destroying people in practice, they ditched the longsnapper idea.

1 Like

I banged the table for Thibodeaux to , happy with Hutch.

2 Likes

Being a great athlete helps but doesn’t mean the player is good. Courtney brown was a better althlete than everyone on that list. Same with Vernon gholston. Both were terrible.

1 Like

I am fine with it because it’s Fields. .

His job was to contain and he failed too. He setup perfectly to do that job. He read the play perfectly. Reacted well. Sure you can complain he let Fields beat him to the edge. But it is Fields. He just got out played. So he did his best to string the play outside and not allow Fields to cut back up field.

That’s really all you can do to stop Fields from his position. You have to count on your LBers and DB to help you out when you push him outside.

Complaining he failed to contain is like complaining Rod Woodson failed to tackle Barry. Trying to do could leave you with a broken ankle.

3 Likes

I expected him to be better.I felt Hutch was the best player in the draft. I didn’t think there was any way we would land him. I expected him to go 1OA.

I’m the one who brought up the Jarad Allen Comparisons pre-draft. I see Jarad Allen. Their near identical athletic wise. But Hutch is more polished than Allen was when Allen came out.

He does a lot right. He has the athletic ability you want in your edge guy. He’s the type of player you modify your defense to fit.

I’m very excited to have him as a player.

4 Likes

Excerpt from a long article:

After the Lions pulled within a touchdown in the fourth quarter, Hutchinson beat tight end Robert Griffen so badly that he was held on his way to the quarterback. That set up second-and-18, and forced dynamic quarterback Justin Fields – the hottest running quarterback in the league – to use his arm. Then Hutchinson stepped in front of Fields’ throwing lane on a screen pass, and Fields instead threw the ball up for grabs downfield.

Jeff Okudah took it back the other way for a pick-six.

Without recording an official statistic, Hutchinson helped turn a 14-point deficit into a tie game on the road. Of course, he also went on to stuff the stat sheet too, sacking Fields to set up the fateful fourth-and-long that iced the game. He finished with eight tackles overall, one of which occurred when he dove across the backside of the formation to take down David Montgomery on a goal-line play.

“I mean he plays with a high motor, he plays with technique, he’s relentless,” Campbell said. “I mean, hell, he got a critical holding penalty the other day just trying to violently shed the block, and that’s a 10-yard penalty against them and knocks them back to second-and-18, which turns into Okudah’s touchdown.

“There’s things that you see all the time, and then there’s indirect production that we’re getting out of him that’s good. But he’s growing. He’s getting better. I mean he’s still got a long ways to go, but every week, he gets a little better.”

2 Likes

That is the one criticism I have of Hutch this year. He is always trying to make the play himself and has been exposed multiple times by athletic QB’s that take advantage of this. He’s gotten better but still room for improvement.

Trust your guys on the other side to make the play. He will likely get more sacks (and stop big plays) by keeping contain.

Chase Young was NOT overhyped at all.

He has ideal size and athleticism.
He had 27 sacks across his Sophomore and Junior season.
He had zero injury concerns before the draft.
He had 2.5 sacks in his 1st two NFL games.

Then… he had a a groin injury.
Slowed him for a while… but still had 7.5 sacks as a rookie.
This is a very good rookie year by any measurement… especially having an injury slow him.

In 2021… he tore his ACL. It happens.

The guy is still a “dude” that I would take all day every day.

1 Like

Over Hutch ?

Not sure how “Chase was overhyped” coming out of college… before his ACL injury…. turned into a direct comparison to Hutch.

If you want to play revisionist history……
I am sure you could question every team, GM, and coach
It’s not really worth it to me.