First round Crow eating found here!

Unless they don’t need a qb. That is always a possibility.

Or it may not be that at all. Just that when the pick came, they saw someone else they felt was a better value there and stuck to their board. The Steelers chose higher floor QB over the unquestionably higher ceiling.

1 Like

Yep, I remember those pre-Senior Bowl threads. I’m ready to concede your friends may know more than me…

2 Likes

I’ll have what he’s having…

With the recent trend of teams aggressively drafted QBs in the 1st round… I thought at least 3 were going in the 1st round. I am completely shocked. Willis and Ridder both have traits that are elite… and I thought a team would believe they could develop them quick enough to take the chance.

3 Likes

Then those teams are primed to trade out and hand that pick to a QB needy team for a ransom. Either way, if JG isn’t the guy, then this staff may not survive until next years draft pick QB is ready to take us to a ring.

I was dead set against a trade up, and was sure there was no scenario in which a trade up would make me happy.
Walking away with the #1oa talent and #1 WR in the draft have me eating crow.

3 Likes

THe 1st round after the top 8 was pure chaos IMHO. so everyone’s boards kind of got rearranged as the dynamics of the draft morphed. 5 D players first 5 with 2 CB’s (both first in history) then we get 3 OT’s in the next 5 picks and then the run on WR’s. I bet everyone from 11-30 was scrambling trying to figure out what the hell was going on.
Point is I agree with you, it was all based on value with who was left and how that player fit the team.

I’ll have to eat crow on the WR pick, I thought maybe at 32/34 but no way did I think we would move up to take one. I didn’t thin Holmes put that much value into WR

1 Like

Ya know, I held my breath and my bunger clenched when the trade was announced because in the moment all I could think about was Hamilton or a QB, both of which would require self-mutilation…

1 Like

Jermaine Johnson was the next DE off the board after Thibodeaux. While 26 was on the low side for him, I certainly don’t see it as shocking or legendary among the draft falls. It’s not like Karlaftis or anyone else went before him that wasn’t already rumored to go in front of him. The one that still gets me is Aaron Rodgers, how all of those teams could pass on him with those skills when he was in the conversation for first overall with Alex Smith. Matt freaking Jones went before A. Rodgers. That is some serious glue sniffing.

I would have bet everything I own that they moved up for Willis.
I mean, you don’t trade up unless you’re after a QB, right?
Wrong!

I meant the Lions may not need a QB.

Goff could be the guy.

2 Likes

Travon somehow went from around pick 20 to being the #1 overall pick by running in the underwear games…and some still want to say that the combine doesn’t matter for teams.
I was wrong on Walker.

1 Like
  1. Game Tape
  2. Combine Events
  3. Combine Interviews
  4. Combine Position Drills (aka fun times in shorts)
  5. Highlight Films
  6. Magic 8 Ball
  7. PFF Charts (Ha ha ha! Just messing with y’all that love these)

You said round 3, if i remember correctly…so still 32 picks to go.

And how is this eating crow for you?..I think you missed the point of this thread.

I think you may have forgotten the concerns with his mechanics and that stupid ball position Jeff Tedford taught… and NFL teams were not impressed with Tedford “system QBs” at that time.
Taking Rodgers at #1 with a plan to change his throwing mechanics seemed like a gamble to some.

2 Likes

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike

2h

The Lions came into last night with picks 2 and 32 and left with the top ranked DE and WR on the @PFF draft board

My favorite day 1 haul

3 Likes

Great example of why I am not on here often anymore. Just stupid bullshit pettiness for the sake of being petty.

I didn’t miss the point of the thread at all. I’m not eating crow at all. I’m reminding people I said there was a good chance he wasn’t going to be a first round pick and I got dragged for it.

And I said my friends, NFL scouts, have a 3rd round grade on him so if the lions wanted him at 32 he could be there……never said he was 100% going in the 3rd…said the grade for a lot of people was 3rd and highly likely he doesn’t go in first.

3 Likes

I remember the Tedford concerns. Didn’t know about the arm position. Wasn’t really a draft junky back then.

1 Like

Not like we do, that’s for sure. Played out pretty much like I thought it would.
The compensation to trade up was more than I gave up in my mock draft and we didn’t end the first day with Hutch, Jaymo, Davis, Gardner, Hamilton, Walker, and an additional 2023 and 2024 1st rounder like in my mock, but they did ok.