Five WRs to watch for Round 1

JuJu doesn’t strike me as a big time separator either

Which WR will make the Oline better?
You seem to have a hard time staying on topic of the thread.

1 Like

I was just going through the FA’s seeing which WR’s were available in 2022 and his name jumped out at me as a younger guy who plays well in the slot. As an outside receiver I would 100% agree with your take.

That’s a spot on assessment of Goff from what I’ve seen as well this year. If the WR’s get open, he will throw it to them, but he needs time in the pocket because he can’t move at all. He’s got Peyton Manning like mobility and speed and that’s not a compliment, haha. Goff’s not the type of QB that is going to throw players open, or work the back shoulder routes to covered WR’s. But, if the WR’s can get some separation, he can find them. We have seen that with St. Brown who excels at getting separation.

It also makes sense why we didn’t try to re-sign Marvin Jones or Golladay, both who aren’t great at getting open but have good jumping ability and a big catch radius. They would not have worked well with Goff.

Drake London is an absolute beast. I let you guys educate me on many of the east coast prospects, but I can tell you that Drake has a real chance to be an absolute nightmare for DCs. I’d be ecstatic with him at that slot, but I wouldn’t be mad with the Rams pick either.

I’m cool with it. If we went with a combo of JuJu and Chark in free agency I’d be okay with it. Some risk with that approach for sure.

Chark would be a nice pickup for us. There is also some really nice young FA’s at ILB I would love to us too go after as well. Maybe Jayon Brown and/or Kenny young.

Dunno about that either way. As a pro he’s never had a 50-50 guy. As a former Rams fan, I loved Woods, Kupp, Cooks (a few years back)… closest they had to a physical, 50-50 guy was Watkins and that wasn’t really his game either.

So JG’s never had that particular luxury, so who knows.

Not all 50/50 guys are created equally. I’m sure Goff would love throwing to Mike Evans.

…or Drake London
…or Treylon Burks
…or Mike Williams FA

Few decent options if the Lions really want to add a big tough 50/50 guy.

I don’t think Alec Pierce gets enough love. The guy just catches the ball.

1 Like

I realize this is a thread about first round picks, but there has been a lot of discussion with re to 50/50 guys. With that there’s a WR I have watched the last few years, Isaiah Weston of Northern Iowa. This season, at 6’4", he has 883 yards on 37 receptions, 5 TD’s and 23.9 ypc. Against probable national division 1 champion North Dakota State this year he had 5 receptions for 181 yards and a TD. Think Golladay, he’s your 50/50 guy in this draft and is likely to be available in the 6th.

I think we have very good depth at WR with St Brown, Reynolds, Cephus, and maybe even Raymond. I honestly know nothing about the guy your referencing, but I don’t want a developmental guy. We need someone who can have an instant impact from day 1. Obviously FA can change my mind, but right now we have to come away with a WR with one of our first three picks.

1 Like

My post was not about waiting for a developmental guy, it was about a guy who could play the 50/50 pass because of his size. IF you want a guy like that, I simply offered another option. That type of WR is more of a Stafford asset, not a Goff asset IMO, but one that could develop as a later pick. Unless these guys think they can find that diamond in the rough like they did with St Brown, I assume they pick one with their first 3 picks as well.

If I remember correctly Goff had Kenny Britt his rookie year. Believe he was Goffs go to guy that year when Goff finally played. Outside of him you are correct. This offense needs a guy who we can go to when we need a big play down the field, is a beast in the red zone, and has strong hands. Very similar to Golladay, but maybe a little more speed and more durable.

I don’t think we should draft based on Goff. We have a very good possession guy who runs great routes and gets separation in Brown. Reynolds reminds me a bit of Marvin Jones without the 50/50 ball skills. Swift is also a very nice safety valve who is shift and can make plays after the catch. Hockenson is a chain mover who can out muscle defenders and separate from LBers and most safeties. What we lack more then anything is a speed threat. The second biggest need is a big physical receiver like a Golladay type. We should draft based on what is missing in this offense.

1 Like

Here is the problem with that assessment. In Detroit each is called upon to do more then they are best at because of the lack of talent. Reynolds is a number 3 being forced to play number 1. St brown is a slot receiver number 3 maybe a number 2 maybe. They 100% need to go get a legit number 1 and possibly a 2……2 wr’s who are better then what we have right now have to be coming into the building this offseason.

3 Likes

Just an FYI, the last time we got a WR from Northern Iowa he had over 1,000 yards receiving in his first year. And he was about as developmental as it gets, because he played safety before we converted him, Mike Furrey.

1 Like

If you read the article to the end it gives other names to watch and it lists Weston. Go figure.

Here’s a guy who hasn’t been mentioned yet, because he hasn’t declared. Nevertheless, I think he belongs in the conversation. Explosive in getting separation and as a playmaker, this sounds EXACTLY like what everyone on the Lions coaching staff said they wanted as a receiver in this offense before the start of the season.

He gets open with separation. He’s an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands. He is Wan’Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky.