Fleece the Rams One More Time?

Detroit discusses if Snead would trade for newly acquired Williams since Akers is out.

Rams need a power back to complement their smaller scat backs.

Names like Gurley and Petersen are being thrown around as they have enough in the tank to be redline/short yardage backs.

If Holmes did trade Williams for a future pick, it would be a huge signal that he is building for next year over this.

Excerpt
"… .The Los Angeles Rams are currently in search of a new running back.

Unfortunately for quarterback Matthew Stafford and the Rams’ offense, running back Cam Akers will miss the 2021 NFL season with a torn Achilles.

Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes and his former boss, Rams general manager Les Snead have already successfully completed a couple of transactions this offseason.

The Rams and Lions pulled off one of the blockbuster trades of the offseason when Stafford was traded to the Rams for quarterback Jared Goff, two first-round draft picks and a third-rounder.

Detroit also traded a 2023 seventh-round pick to Los Angeles in exchange for defensive lineman Michael Brockers.

Should the two organizations consider one more trade prior to the start of the training camp?

On Tuesday’s edition of “Karsch and Anderson” on 97.1 The Ticket, an interesting trade discussion occurred: How should the Lions respond if Snead called looking for Akers’ replacement?

The Lions signed running back Jamaal Williams earlier this offseason to back up D’Andre Swift.

In fact, Williams was one of the rare Lions free agents who were able to secure a multi-year contract, as many are playing in Detroit on one-year deals.

If Snead offered a second-or-third-round selection, should Detroit part ways with Williams? "

I’m not giving up Williams for anything they’d be willing to pay for him.

6 Likes

I’d trade them Jefferson for a 4th. Not really interested for a fifth as I think he’s easily a fifth round talent.

We have plenty of draft picks and not quite enough good players. To lose a good player like Jamal I’d need a lot. Plus I think his energy and enthusiasm is a big part of the culture turnaround plan. He’s the goofy, comic relief guy. Every good locker room needs one or two.

4 Likes

Why would we give up a player for a later pick that hurts our chances on the better pick ?

1 Like

I think that would be bad for the lion’s to trade a person who wants to be here, and a bad look on us.

4 Likes

That is a bad idea and it irritates me far too much just thinking about it. I’m traumatized by the mere thought of it.

3 Likes

Take a Crying Game shower. Works like a charm.

1 Like

Blues Brothers GIF

I think you forgot where you are. This is the Church of Beenz. I think the First Commandment is that a draft pick is always better than a boring old player.

1 Like

Did someone say magic beans?!?!?

Ohhhhhhh yeah that’s the stuff.

We can all decide how we should use it and it will be awesome.

JWil for 2 firsts or JJ for a first and a second.

Our guys are AWESOME and we should get some real nice magic beans!!

For a 2d Rd pick, I’d consider it, but would have to have a deal lined up in advance with a veteran like Duke Johnson, Todd Gurley, or a trade for someone like Royce Freeman for a lesser pick.

For a 3d Rd pick, not worth it.

1 Like

Looks like the Rams will stay where they are for now. It makes sense because after the 53 cut down, there will be opportunities out there so why not wait and see what they already have on the roster.

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Sean McVay: Rams want young running backs to have first opportunity to replace Cam Akers
Posted by Charean Williams on July 20, 2021, 3:01 PM EDT

Los Angeles Rams v Seattle Seahawks
Getty Images
Several big-name, veteran running backs remain on the market. (They also remain on the market for a reason or reasons.) The Rams, though, aren’t looking that direction, at least not yet, after losing Cam Akers to a torn Achilles.

The Rams will give Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk, Raymond Calais and Otis Anderson the opportunity to replace Akers before looking at veteran running backs, coach Sean McVay said Tuesday.

“We’ve got some young backs on our roster that I’m intrigued about seeing how they handle this opportunity,” McVay said on ESPN 710. “I don’t know that the veteran route is something that we’d rule out, but it’s not something we’re immediately looking to address right now.”

Akers, 21, will miss the season after leading the Rams with 145 carries for 625 yards last season.

LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Devonta Freeman, Le’Veon Bell, Frank Gore and former Rams running back Todd Gurley remain free agents.

At this point, we need the Rams to win as few games as possible to better our 1st round pick. The unfortunate (for them) situation with Akers helps towards this result. I don’t want to help them get any better whatsoever in 2021. Think just about pick value for a moment. Say we get a 4th round pick for Williams. Say that helps the Rams own the 125th pick in the 4th which we get. That pick is worth 47 points by the chart (all we have). Say if we don’t hand them Williams it costs them 2 wins in a 17 game season. That could move them 3-4 draft spots in next years first round. The difference there is 60-80 points relatively. I know we’re talking hypotheticals here, but something to think about when discussing how magical the beans really are. All that said, I was a huge Henderson fan when he was a draft prospect. So expect him to totally go off…

2 Likes

No way we trade them Williams. It’s not even debatable. Holmes and Campbell have had a great offseason, no way they blow it this massively and look like clowns.

1 Like

So we trade them a RB so they can win more and push our first round pick for Stafford down?

Kind of seems like a conflict of interest.

4 Likes

Brevity is the soul of wit. Kudos fine sir.

2 Likes

If they trade a priority free agent signing who is coming in as a fan favorite already , charisma with press in community that they just went and signed

I’d want the whole FO replaced.

You want to create a culture that shows it’s not just a cold hearted business for a pay check because that’s why you have the team , and players see Thst and reinforces why they play - to feed families , get a check

More than why they play ( win , championship , legacy ).

Lions have continued to be the franchise with reputations as a good community minded heart that’s in the business for a check. Not in it to win it.

Too many assumptions for me.

Better first round pick us hyptheticsl improve the lions but a GM who can spot talent might make a lot out of any first round pick.

Akers being hurt is assumed to hurt Rams but how they pivot and how good the team is … iMO probably doesn’t hang on Akers.
McCoy could be a good vet option with another season where he can do enough.

It could open the door to a better player already on Rams who wasn’t going to get an opportunity

Or make them sign a late camp cut who is good enough

We’ve seen all those types of things happen to an nfl team

And running backs are often said to be a bit easier to find replacement level players

It’s not just about the GM being able to spot talent though. Let’s say Holmes is a great GM and talent evaluator, the player he grades the highest still has to be available. Yes we need a good GM but it goes both ways. There’s a reason a top five pick has more value than a pick in the twenties. I hope the Rams lose every game and we have a respectable season that shows we’re on an upward trajectory.

1 Like

Yet the nfl has dynasty teams who rarely pick high. I get idea of value is there I just think it’s the wrong thing , karmatically speaking , to root for and thinks makes a difference.

I’m rooting for Holmes to be our Hall of Fame worthy executive who didn’t build team eith all top 5 picks.

Jamaal Williams is not part of this team’s core or its longterm future. Therefore, we should take any draft capital we can get for him in order to maximize our chances at getting a player that does fit those qualifications.