For all the Stafford haters

I don’t think I ever said he makes more bad throws than other QB’s. He HAS thrown many more interceptions than Rogers (Rogers has an insane TD to INT rate) but I also realize that nothing is equal. He has thrown some interceptions because he is just trying to win a game. I would also venture a guess that the degree of separation for receivers is highly skewed in Brady and Rogers favor. They always have better schemes and route runners but that is improving this year as is Stafford’s stats. I think there is a distinct correlation there. I do believe he takes more sacks and throws away fewer passes than some other Elite QB’s. I don’t have stats to back that up but it is my opinion based on watching games of all three. Fact is they all have their strengths and they all have their weaknesses. But we can’t prove anything. Some people think Brady is the GOAT- Some Montanna - Some Rogers - Some Brees - you think Stafford is as good as them all. Your perogative. I just know that we will really never know. So I accept the fact that I am happy we have Stafford and I realize he is much better than many on here give him credit for being. But it is futile to try to convince others of his abilities. Either they see it or they don’t. That is their perogative. You can’t change people’s perceptions.

1 Like

Good posts, VAlionfan!

You seem to view Stafford the same as I do.
It would be have been interesting to see what Stafford would have achieved in his career if he was drafted by a team that had a great HC or a HC with a great OC but truth be known, there aren’t many of those out there in the NFL who are drafting in the top 5…and that’s where none of the QB’s who are in the GOAT’s debate were drafted, except Peyton but I’m not sure how he’s fairs against Brady, Brees, Montana, and Rodgers.
Cerebrally, I think the GOAT’s have the edge on Stafford. Obviously he has the better physical tools but it’s like baseball, if you can get one more hit per ten at bats, that’s the difference between being a .195 batter and a .295 batter. Stafford’s not much behind the GOAT’s in those terms but just a decision here or there and that can make a bid difference in the outcome of a game.

I’m going to preface this by saying 1 cherry picked video does not prove or justify my point. This video doesn’t prove me right.

Stafford has been at the podium after several tough losses with body language and verbal language that certainly shows he cares and is disappointed by the loss. I can also say that I’ve seen Stafford (and countless other players) at the podium many times after these tough games with a smile on his face, a joking/fun sort of demeanor, or the usual “It’s all good, we just need to correct our mistakes in practice and everything will be fine. There’s no problem here, everything is going to be fine” sort of demeanor. I was hoping to see and hear more of a “this is not acceptable” sort of demeanor. Especially since these press conferences happen at a time where us Lions fans are so angry that most of us could hardly form complete sentences still.

This is how I have read his body language and actual verbal responses after multiple losses. This is what irked me in the past that I’m trying to turn a new leaf over on.

Not everyone is the same. Not everyone demonstrates frustration the same as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. This is where I was saying I need to change my reaction to what I see out of Stafford at the podium or on the sidelines during these excruciating losses. The video below is simply 1 out of what I believe are hundreds of instances of him appearing to generally not give as many shits as I’d like to see as a rabid fan.

Again, I was wrong on this entire matter and am working to change my perspective to match the general consensus on the board. I do feel the need to justify my original stance on this topic, however, to confirm I’m not a troll. I don’t want to sit here and get bashed like I’m a complete fn retard for having an opinion that I am working hard to change my stance on. I feel like I can provide plenty of evidence that would have supported my initially incorrect opinion. I’m trying to change man.

I love this team. I love the fans. I just want to win and I want winners.

Radio I get your perspective and I respect it. Where as in my case I am the complete opposite. I do not want to see my QB doing the things you are looking for. I want my QB to show the world a level headed professional, and then go off away from the public eye. I always find it disgraceful to see someone that is suppose to be a leader let his emotions take over, in my experience it generally makes matters worse.

1 Like

Yes - I understand this as well. I’m not looking for Ryan Leaf here. I was never looking for temper tantrums. I was looking for this:

Again, the bottom line is I was wrong about this. I’ve been wrong about all of it. The notion that Stafford isn’t as competitive as I’d like him to be based on reactions at the podium after the game is ridiculous and I understand that and have stepped back from my original take on the matter.

Thanks for the comment - I appreciate it. I’m feeling pretty dense from my initial take and find myself repeatedly trying to explain it and also explain that I’ve moved on from it, thanks to the board members here.

NFL executives have called out Staffords competitiveness several times. It’s nothing new, and people aren’t wrong to question it.

He’s a locker room lawyer, not a locker room leader. He doesn’t play with a chip on his shoulder and will never be as good as guys who had to overcome things.

All the best QBs in the league, has to prove people wrong and were not handed everything/coddled their entire life like Stafford.

1 Like

Watch the smile as Tom enters the room and steps up towards the podium.

But of course this guy got his ass chewed for being a sore loser

1 Like

There’s literally nothing factual about anything you posted. Pretty much a theme for you though.

Yep - I was wrong and apologize again.

I don’t think I was completely out of line for my initial take though. Just…not considering all of the variables I could or should have been.

Hey Radio your a good poster and always have been. Many of us get seriously frustrated, we’ve acted out, Lord knows Lions Fans have spoken, we have all waited for the time this team takes a BIG step forward waited for more Playoffs , and A Bowl at least.

We All want to see winners here and we all have opinions on what has happened in our past team -wise, why we struggle or what went wrong, we don’t always agree we get into some heated arguments and that.

any sized group as low as two or two thousand (whatever) there will be an argument or fight at some point. That is why I won’t hang out in bars because you throw fuel on the fire with alcohol. And we all have had incorrect opinion at some point.

I’m here to talk football and NOT get into arguments or to try and prove I’m better-than anybody else.
sometimes The Den seems to take on that theme “I’m right and your not.” But I don’t think any less of you or anyone else. We all want to see wins and win out here in 2019…Peace man.

1 Like

“No doubt, he is a 2 and I love him, but something is missing. Stafford could be like [Aaron Rodgers] if he had the burning passion and if he had Mike McCarthy from Day 1, because he is talented like that and quick with the ball. But you look at the look on Stafford’s face before the game and then look at Rodgers’ face or Big Ben’s face or Luck’s or especially [Drew Brees]face or [Philip Rivers]face. Holy s—, you look at [Matthew Stafford’s] eyes and it’s like gym class. It’s like, ‘I hope we win, I think we are pretty good’ as opposed to, ‘I am going to rip your throat out.’”

Google is a pretty interesting tool. You should learn how to use it.

1 Like

I have to laugh…this completely supports my initial observation and stance on this entire topic. I should have taken your advice and used Google to defend myself a bit more than I have on my initial take.

Members on the Den have convinced me I’m wrong on this one with countless excellent examples, but reading this certainly fuels the doubt that remains in my head about Stafford’s competitiveness.

I’ve been putting it as “he likes to win more than he hates to lose”, but this article articulates it a lot better than I’ve been able to do.

Either way, I’m still thrilled we have Stafford…until/unless we can get someone that’s even better.

You doubled down and posted something even more stupid. An anonymous offensive coach? So, like the guy who massages Aaron Rodgers’ nut sack is your proof? Again, stop with the idiotic bait crap. Your schtick is lame and so are you.

3 Likes

Dude said executives and posted an article with an anonymous GM who literally could have been the worst one in the NFL and a random coach.

That’s legitimately funny

3 Likes

I think the league consensus is Stafford is a good QB
Great, can’t put him there
Not sure why we need yet another thread with a bunch of BS on the guy
I’m pretty sure he will be missed in Detroit after he’s gone
I hope he gets at least one Super Bowl win
He deserves it

1 Like

People all get their significance from different places. Some are amazing at contributing football conversations, and teach us about different aspects of the game, some dudes are hilarious and connect through humor, while others must pick an argument and be in the right. Make sure you aren’t standing in a pile of fire ants and bitching that the fire ants are biting you. Fire ants just do what they do. Same with certain posters. If you don’t like fire ants, stay away from fire ants.

3 Likes

There are QBs every year that are better than Stafford. That’s the easy part. But if you want to have a QB better than Stafford on the Lions…in our lifetime…it ain’t happening.

1 Like

Always aim low and we will never be disappointed i guess.

Wonderful. Can’t wait for the next 50 years of lions football.

1 Like

So much passive aggressiveness in this thread, it’s humorous.

3 Likes

Its scary that there are people in the world that think like this. Probably why there are so many underachievers.