For all the Stafford haters

It’s easy to think the Lions will have a better QB than Stafford when you think Johnny Manziel is better than Stafford

4 Likes

No So cool, you and the biggest anti-stafford poster in the Den history agree with anonymous people out there who question Stafford’s will to win and intensity. This article is extremely outdated, 2015. People called Stafford’s side-arm throws “bad mechanics” now praise Mahomes for “generational”. Stafford has worked on his mechanics and improved every year since 2015. If your going to research outdated anonymous sources then might as well research Peter Schrager and Chris Simms and others who have called stafford a top 5 qb and put their name behind the statement. And again, watch the tape, the game film. People are basing a players will to win off of eye intensity? So when stafford was cursing Eric Ebron out for not going out of bounds vs the colts he wasn’t intense? When he was yelling at Riley Reiff to get his ass to the line to call the fake snap td vs the cowboys he wasn’t intense? When he trucked the chief lb and got up in his face talking smack he wasn’t intense? Rodgers is worthy of praise to be sure but when was the last time he trucked a defender? He is known for pouting and crying to the refs and embellishing tackles…this article was nothing when it was written and it is nothing now…the evidence is there that says it is bull. Franchise Qbs don’t grow on trees. Ask the bears and jags specifically as teams whose windows are either closing or will close soon without a title bc they don’t have a franchise QB. Your last statement is obnoxious, bc it suggests your hope of replacing Stafford with someone better. Why not just enjoy the greatest qb your crappy franchise has ever known, the only reason the national media even talks about the lions and we even sniff relevance. Stafford greatness will never be truly understood bc he plays for the lions and they have always lived and died by his arm.

2 Likes

Thanks Sleats - I think we probably do - But I am not sure I would even think of it terms of cerebral. Matt has always gotten high marks for his football IQ - It is almost more an on field processing thing. He just does something that seems “stupid” at times and that is what frustrates people. Of course so did Favre - I think it actually may their inability to dial down the competitiveness. They feel the need to make a play and that is what drives their decision rather than just take the smart play even if you throw the ball away or punt and live for another possession. I do also know that the longer you are in a given system the easier it is to not do that and it is an area I think he has improved. Given his improvement under Caldwell and now opened back up to deeper passing game with Bevell I think we are really beginning to see the QB he can be. But there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

1 Like

Passing|Rk|Player|Team|Pos|Comp|Att|Pct|Att/G|Yds|Avg|Yds/G|TD|Int|1st|1st%|Lng|20+|40+|Sck|Rate|
| — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — | — |
|1|Mike Glennon|OAK|QB|2|3|66.7|3.0|36|12.0|36.0|1|0|2|66.7|19|0|0|0|147.2|
|2|Robert Griffin III|BAL|QB|6|6|100.0|6.0|55|9.2|55.0|1|0|5|83.3|12|0|0|0|144.4|
|3|Nick Foles|JAX|QB|5|8|62.5|8.0|75|9.4|75.0|1|0|3|37.5|35T|2|0|0|132.8|

Wholeheartedly agree with both you guys and everything you are saying. At the end of the day people have to remember something: when we say stafford isn’t as good as Rodgers or Brady or maybe he measures up in some places with them…we are talking about the greatest qbs perhaps of all time. It’s okay if he doesn’t measure up…if he does the we are taking about one of the greatest qbs of all time. I won’t say that. He doesn’t have the rings or the playoff success that the GOATS have…but let’s not lose sight of the fact that we compare him to some of the best to ever play…no one talks about Stafford’s 5k season bc he did it the same year as Brady and Brees…he didn’t even get a damn pro bowl that year…think about that…trubisky is a pro bowler…Stafford has a all time great season and he didn’t even get a pro bowl…but he is a god damn great qb who might very well be a GOAT if he had or gets the hardware.

1 Like

Stafford seems to have grown up the last couple of years. Probably a combination of realizing his window is closing, thinking for the first time that the organization may need to move away from him at some point and dealing with his wife’s health issues

He seems more focused on the field and has taken to Bevells offense well. I have been as critical as anyone the past several years but I think ultimately he’s a good kid who is playing really well for us and deserves a ring. And I hope he earns one with the Lions

1 Like

Yeah that was just wrong and a product of where he played.

1 Like

Well, he’s closing in on being the Lions GOAT. I’m not sure he can bump Barry, but again, look at the company he’s keeping.
I’ll say this, he’s far and away the best Lions QB in my 60 years on this rock.