For those worried about WR

With the 12th pick the Lions select WR Jameson Williams. And we might as well call it pick 12B of the 2023 draft. Holmes said himself that they basically have 3 first round picks. Holmes has said Jamo was always drafted for 2023, and beyond.

I’m seeing more, and more people talking about WR early in the draft. Perhaps even #6. Especially since Chark isn’t coming back. I find it a little mind boggling. When teams have a need, they usually will draft their biggest need in the first round. I highly doubt they will draft another WR early two years in a row(go away Matt Millen!). I can understand if they didn’t have St Brown, and a good supporting cast, but they do. Jamo is that guy.

And with the 12th pick, that player is expected to be a starter day 1. Teams expect WR1. Not to mention if Jamo wasn’t hurt he probably would have went top 10.

Maybe 3rd round or later, but i hope not in the 1st two rounds.

4 Likes

Disagree with this. BPA at high-value position, especially early in the draft. If it matches up perfectly with need like it did the past two years, great.

12 Likes

I mean, this is what teams SHOULD do.

5 Likes

Yeah, and often they don’t. But Brad has so far, so I’ve got my fingers crossed.

2 Likes

BPA is term made famous by Martin Mayhew…lol. BPA is also misleading. There isn’t a single team that drafts BPA. They draft BPA at a position of most need. No team is going to draft a TE in the top 10 two years in a row no matter how “BPA” they are. No one would do that for QB. Like i said maybe if Detroit didn’t have St Brown already then it’s understandable.

5 Likes

Jamo is unproven

1. Chark helped to really open the offense. He and Jamo would have opened up both the passing game and run game. It’s hard to play a single high S when you have 4.3 speed on one side and 4. 2 on the othet. Keeping 2 S back makes it hard to load the box without getting torched over the top.

3 Jamo goes down who’s your deep threat that a D is forced to worry about (that’s assuming Jamo can be that guy, again unproven)

1. Assuming we’re gonna make a run, we’ll certainly end up in a shootout. Taking 16.7 ypc off the table, does not help at all

2. Any way you slice it, we are worse offensively without him than with him

3 Likes

Wrong, that’s called drafting need. BPA is just that, with some nuance

4 Likes

Every rookie is unproven. Teams don’t draft a player 12th overall, and say we better get another one thats very good in case this 12th overall pick doesn’t work out.

Like i said maybe later in the rounds sure. But not early. Do they double down on yet another vet another WR? They might as well draft 3 WR in a row in case they don’t work out. Your argument is illogical.

If the Lions draft Carter, should they draft another DT at 18? Just in case?

2 Likes

There’s only one QB on the field at any given time. There’s one TE about half the time and 2 about the other half, with some rare occurrences of 3 on short yardage, etc… There’s usually 3 WRs on the field, and there’s 4 almost as often as there’s 2.

Passing on talent to fill a need is the best way to build a bad roster. I agree that generally there is some level of need, just like we have some level of need at WR, but “most” need isn’t the way it generally works. WR wasn’t the Bengals biggest need when they drafted Chase, LB wasn’t the Cowboys biggest need when they drafted Parsons, CB wasn’t the Broncos biggest need when they drafted Surtain, Edge wasn’t the Commanders biggest need when they drafted Chase Young, on and on and on. You draft talent, especially at the top.

If you don’t want to draft a WR cause you don’t like any of them, just say that. That’s an evaluation and to each his own. But the process of drafting one is sound.

6 Likes

expected to contribute sooner and he needs to practice.

2 Likes

No dude, there isn’t an ulterior motive. And I have. I said they shouldn’t draft WR high because they drafted one 12th overall, and because they have St Brown, and a good group. What are u even saying?

2 catches 2 touchdowns on bombs (1 called back) and a 50 yard run.

That’s enough for me!

Raymond and Reynolds are solid depth guys to keep it moving.

Veteran WR to compete and a rookie in the mid rounds is all we need.

3 Likes

I think need is taken into consideration way more than people think. I also think it makes way more sense to draft for need early in the NFL draft (without reaching too much), then round 3 and beyond should be best player available.

It honestly makes no sense to do it the other way imo. Drafting for need late why? These guys are flyers not sure contributors. Makes way more sense to take the best talent available later in the drafts. Shouldn’t expect much from players drafted on day 3.

1 Like

Let’s use Holmes’s term “bucket”.

Who in this year’s draft is likely to be in the top-tier bucket?
Who’s in the 2nd level bucket?

If the top bucket consists of 2 QBs, a DT and an OLB and none fall, we’re into the next bucket.
How many players are in that bucket? Who are they? Do you take a WR out of that bucket because you’ve drafted 2 in the previous 2 years? I don’t think so.

5 Likes

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But I think that’s a terribly flawed process. What you’ve done before should have little impact on what you do going forward as long as the value’s right (i.e., you evaluate the player as a future star) and the position’s not stacked.

I think Edge is more crowded than WR, and we just took one of those in the 1st last year as well. Should we skip it because of that? The Eagles took Devonta Smith and Jaelon Reagor in back-to-back drafts and it didn’t stop them from trading a 1st for AJ Brown. Was that a bad move?

Jamo is being counted on by DC and BH. They do not share the same sentiments as the fan base.

They didn’t draft Jamo last year to judge him on what he didn’t do in 2022. As you said, he was always a future pick. Nothing that has transpired has changed their outlook on Jamo. The fans are the ones going crazy over stupid shit. Thank god they aren’t making the decisions.

ARSB & Jamo is an upgrade over ARSB and Chark all day…one of the most overrated lions in my lifetime.

7 Likes

But passing on talent for need early is how you get Ebron instead of Donald.

6 Likes

Does anyone ever watch the NFL draft? What even is the purpose of mock drafts? For the exception of Jalen Carter’s character concerns, did we not want him because he is BPA at a position of need? What about all the CB talk at #6 before all these free agent signings? Not to mention the CB’s in this class probably don’t deserve to go that high. If it is truly BPA then why not Bijan Robinson?

If Calvin Johnson is bpa and he was available twice, do we draft two of them or 1 because of BPA? And then draft again in case one of them doesn’t work out?

BPA is so misleading. No team drafts BPA without it being a position of need.

1 Like

I’m not saying you draft strictly for need. But if the Lions are on the board at 18, and their top 3 available in order are Lukas Van Ness, Broderick Jones, and Brian Branch…they should definitely be taking Branch.

No team drafts strictly (or literally) BPA.

And that example is just the Lions being the worst franchise in sports. That’s not the norm.

1 Like

LOL, illogical

It is just 1 part of a much longer answer.

It could also go deeper, the rest of that diatribe has nothing to do with my answer. Just you saying things i never said