For those worried about WR

I’m not going to beat it to death, but just to be clear…
there is 1 starting position open that i am not comfortable ceding to anyone currently on the roster:

3 Likes

Yeah this is where im at aswell with him

He would solidfy a deadly WR Trio, and would allow the RB and TE to become bigger threats aswell.

Ehhhh

WR depth is a bit of an issue after this year (Cephus, Raymond and Reynolds are all FA’s to my knowledge)

Getting a good WR early will atleast solidfy the Core tbh, similar to the Bengals.

I would not consider #3 WR a “high value position”. St. Brown & Jamo are under contract for years to come so any WR pick is likely your future #3. Future #3 WR’s are not of particularly high value.

You are literally both ends of the spectrum. The thought I am saying I don’t agree with, does not match what you are describing.

That’s fair, if it’s an evaluation issue I understand. I disagree - I think he’s a superstar in the making no matter where he plays - but I get it. I feel the same way about Hooker, just don’t understand all the love.

3 Likes

Jamo aside - Raymond/Reynolds/Cephus are UFAs, Kennedy/Benson are RFAs, and Berryhill/Alexander ERFAs after this season. We have St. Brown and Jamo under contract for 2024 - that’s it. WR is a more pressing need than most think moving forward.

Do you want to sign a top tier guy in the FA (or hell, we’re paying Raymond 4,050,000 this year) or do you draft another game changer in the first (5.4m for #6 or 2.8m for #18). These are also things that need to be considered when roster building.

4 Likes

Then what does it match? You wrote that tiers should be entirely talent based. What does that mean, if it does not mean that need should not influence it?

For me it’s “starting WR”, not #3, and WR positional value couldn’t be any higher at the moment. The ideal is interchangeable parts where any one of them could go off. Thankfully I know that’s how the Rams viewed it and I suspect we will as well.

1 Like

Your “BPA” should have zero influence on need.

What I said I don’t agree with is you stating your tiers should be need influenced. That’s the completely opposite of what that’s should be. You shouldn’t be ranking your players with need in mind at all. So how can you determine your tiers with need in mind? That doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

I wonder if they even see it as a need. Raymond really started coming on as a receiver in the last quarter of the season. Reynolds is a solid 3 or 4.

I might take Jones in that scenario. I see RG as a more pressing need than DB after free agency.

If they don’t, they don’t, but I would disagree with that opinion vehemently.

I agree, this team absolutely needs a WR. Outside of DT, it’s probably #2. I just don’t think any WR is worth the 6th pick. I do however feel JSN is the best WR in this draft, so I wouldn’t be mad about it. If our two WRs were Jamo and a legit X, I would like JSN a lot more for us.

Raymond is like Rondale Moore for the Cardinals

the Gadget player, he can run the Screens, and can be used as our primary deep threat in PA due to his shiftyness and speed.

Again, issue is hes not exactly built for the sticks tbh, and its hard to get him the ball outside of zone coverage in the short and mid game due to his size

its kinda why WR should be considerd day 1-2, and its

kinda why JSN at 6 is a solid possibility for us.

1 Like

I like the price point of a WR at #18, tbh. Gonna have to pay St. Brown some big money soon. Getting a good WR cheap would solidify the WR for years.

Yeah and that’s a legit take if you just don’t like the options available. The only reason I chimed in at all was to argue against the idea that the process of drafting WR was wrong because we drafted one last year. The process is fine, but if there’s no player worth taking you can’t force it. I think there is, but that’s just a difference of opinion.

3 Likes

I believe you should and I believe every team does. Need influences how a team will value a player. We might be saying the same thing from different angles. The Lions aren’t going to draft OT with both of their first round picks regardless of how much value they leave on the board.

1 Like

I want one at 48 or 55. But am totally fine with one at 18. I just don’t love that Quentin is the only X type with great value at that spot. I see some better value in the 2nd. But of course I won’t be mad if we go WR at 18. It is a top need for sure.

1 Like

Ill be honest personally

its JSN at 6 or a WR day 2

18, im meh on Quention Johnson, and i think Zay Flowers is a big reach at that spot personally.

Xavier Hutchinson (im with Brett Coleman on this one) is a personal fan favourite of mine, but he does have his flaws, but i would like to pick him up if he does fall to our 3rd round pick personally.

1 Like

I think you guys are basically talking about two different boards. One’s the overall board but with the players ranked from top to bottom based on grade, the other is our board, where they’re ranked according to things like need, value, money already invested, etc…

2 Likes