Ford field turf

…and the league promptly does squadoosh…

2 Likes

So the statements from the league indicate that the more serious injuries are reduced on this type of turf. If we set aside the typical demonization of one side or the other, maybe there is merit to that. Obviously the first choice is natural turf, but if we did force 6 stadiums to change turf types, are we trading high ankle sprains for ACL tears?

2 Likes

Lol the cba is a ten year deal. The issues change and evolve. The nfl owners and lawyers are way more savvy and started with all the leverage which players had to negotiate for and will continue to do so

Your questioning - is it your position now nothing will or should happen because the players didn’t make it an issue last time ?

I’m not understanding what your position is in this issue -
It’s not our money. Owners and players are getting plenty of money to incorporate the fields as an expense. Heck the lions could probably add $5-$10 per ticket and still sell out and pay for the field if Sheila and rod didn’t want to come out of pocket -

Back to your position or prediction - are you also saying nothing should change ? Are you saying nothing will change ?

The players at this point , at least some noteable guys like kupp and t walker etc are speaking on it. Maybe they’ll keep driving it as an issue.

This is one of the reasons I said mandate grass. Every single team and the league itself have the financial resources to spend on the manpower required to remove a turf field and install and maintain a grass one in a single off-season.

2 Likes

Ownership doesn’t have a great record on data collection and injuries when presenting data so without demonization
How do you trust the owners’ data?

I’m sure this will help attract premiere free agents on team friendly deal plus help shape narrative lions ownership totally cares about their players.

These slight business differences between teams can help make decisions if there’s options of multiple teams to choose from.

1 Like

I know there are financial considerations. I don’t foot the bill.

But isn’t this a competitive disadvantage ultimately, if our guys are playing on a less safe surface half the year vs the other teams that don’t? I have a hard time believing that grass surfaces aren’t inherently safer.

2 Likes

Just trying to have a conversation without that predictable type of answer that doesn’t really add to the discussion.

1 Like

Empirical evidence shows that grass is, in fact, safer.

So then you have a decision point:
Do we discuss indoor turf options?
or
Do we insist that all teams play in open air?

1 Like

FieldTurf’s own data:

Artificial turf vs. grass: Less than 1% difference in injuries:

Head Injury / Concussion
Hip Adductor
Isolated Collateral (MCL / LCL)
Bone Knee
ACL
Knee Extensor Mechanism
Ankle Fracture
Forefoot
Hindfoot

Artificial turf vs. grass: Less than 5% difference in injuries:

Hamstring
Hip Flexor / Quadriceps
Hip adductor / Groin
Total Hip / Thigh
Isolated Meniscus
PCL / PLC
Total Knee Injury
Leg
Ankle Sprain
Achilles

If I read that right, Achilles injuries occur at potentially a 5% higher rate on their turf? As a business owner, I would keep shopping.

Next up, Hellas construction, which is used in Jerry World.

1 Like

It’ll never happen but I would vote for all open air stadiums. Play in the elements!!!

But yes if true and stats point to less severe injuries on grass, regardless of indoor or outdoor the technology is there to make all fields real grass

4 Likes

How do we have a grass field in Ford Field?

By the way, more injury data:
“Altogether, a 7% increase in lower extremity injury rates was found during NFL games on turf when compared to grass dating back to 2016. That number fluctuates year by year, with the highest incidence hovering around 15% this year. Currently, we are on track to see the largest percent difference in turf versus grass-related lower extremity injuries over the past 7 years. This doesn’t mean that it won’t come down as there is much more of the season left to play, but it does raise the question: do things need to change?”
The 2016 data is somewhat irrelevant since many teams have made changes since then, BUT the current year data is pretty interesting. Wonder why the spike.

4 Likes

I agree, it would definitely factor in.

I wonder how many players didn’t sign here because they didn’t want to play on the silverdome turf?

I mean I’m sure there’s a way to install sod and an irrigation/aeration system so you could have natural grass, I would think anyway

1 Like

Irrigation is absolutely addressable. What about photosynthesis required for grass to grow? Are we talking about trying to install grow lights, too?

1 Like

It’s hard to say if a single thing swing decisions but as a collective

It may not help sell lions

Remember when Bradbury said no to Detroit because he was a shy guy and wanted to try NY ?
Ngata said no “due to scheme”

1 Like

I don’t think Barry Sanders was as good on grass.

What happened to Turfguy?

He used to be our resident expert on these sort of topics.

I thought they had figured out how to grow grass in indoor stadiums. Maybe I’m wrong, I wasn’t paying too close attention.

2 Likes

So I guess that’s the first thing we all have to accept; grass needs sunlight to grow.

Now, what do we do for teams that chose domes for a better fan experience?

1 Like

snoop dogg smoking GIF

1 Like