Ford field turf

Sanders was amazing on grass
He massacred that myth. I almost wanna say early in his career he wasn’t then started proving that was only coincidence. He SLAUGHTERED 'em at both Lamo and Soldier fields…also - Tampa (I think they had grass too)…and he melted the Vikings turf.

Barry, I love you brother and will defend you to my grave

4 Likes

Hydroponics, man. I’m positive they can get some grow lights in there and get it done…then pull the lights out before game day.

2 Likes

There is also that window in ford field, probably not enough to give the whole field sunlight but they get some daylight in there. But yeah I would suspect grow lights would be needed

Any respectable marijuana grower will show you how to grow grass indoors. Grass that your neighbor would be jealous of.

1 Like

When they score they light part of the field on fire so the whole crowd can get hotboxed. Or did I misunderstand :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m not sure, brother. I know almost nothing about it…not even enough to get the reference you make (though I’m sure it is hilarious to smarter ppl). LOL

1 Like

Or, just wheel the natural grass in and out as needed:

2 Likes

definitely not smarts. But I did learn it in college :rofl:

1 Like

And an electric bill that would eclipse all others in downtown Detroit.

1 Like

This was covered in the other thread. The two desert teams do this. I don’t know why LA didn’t, rather they chose Hellas turf over grass or FieldTurf. (Detroit, among others, have no room for such a plan.)

It’s FieldTurf that’s being singled out right now, but I’d be interested in seeing an injury report comparing the two.

1 Like

Imagine that. Spending more money on your electric bill just to prevent a few ACL’s.

1 Like

Yeah, OK. LOL Just a little higher electric bill and all our injury concerns go away.

go away? cmon line.

And they can rent out the stadium to Calvin Johnson for the other days of the week outside of Sunday.

2 Likes

I’m here… @LineBusy has been asking all the right questions.

Sunlight and traffic…those are the two obstacles.

You need light (natural or artificial) to grow plants. So what are the options for light?

• Outdoor stadium
  • Retractable roof
  • Moveable field surface (Arizona Cardinals)
  • Indoor grow lights

Moveable surface or indoor grow lights would be two options for Ford Field.

How do you move an entire football field? Arizona uses tracks to slide the field outside the stadium. Ford Field cannot do that. You could rip the surface up each week and install fresh cut sod shipped for each home game (8/9 weeks).

Are you going to setup grow lights across the field each day? Think about the logistic of that operation for 8 or 9 uses during a football season. You can’t just turn the stadium lights on. I think you would need an entirely separate, rigged light system.

The biggest issue these stadiums face is traffic. Events = money.

When David Tepper brought an MLS soccer team to Charlotte a few years ago, a decision had to be made about Bank of America’s field turf. It was decided that the volume of traffic would be too great for natural turf with the addition of soccer, and an artificial surface was installed as a solution.

Carolina Greens is a field construction company a few miles from my house here in Charlotte. They grow Bermuda grass on plastic and install it for stadiums all over the East coast. Bears new surface is from Charlotte, NC. Commanders, Eagles, Titans, Ravens and a few other I forget, are all Bermuda grown here in NC.

Chad Price at Carolina Green is the guy the Ford Family should call. Why?

Because he has a proprietary patent application for growing natural turf…

…on PLASTIC! Some of this is secret, and most of it can get above my head, but NFL teams (listed above) use Chad for their turf…because it can be cut and installed almost the same day. They cut it, haul it, and drop it in 24 hours.

I think this could solve the problem of a sub-surface (soil). The grass becomes disposable after each game. You would not need water, light, or soil.

You cut the natural grass, you haul it by truck, and you roll it out on a plastic sub-surface. Keep it alive for a 1 or 2 days, and after the game is played…rip it up and have a usable surface for other events.

This has been an interesting thread to read.

8 Likes

The new stadium in Vegas was what I was thinking. I think its the same way though.

Yes!

Interesting, thanks.
I wonder if its possible to retrofit the roof so that it can become retractable, even if it takes a year while the Lions play elsewhere. If the grow lights really aren’t feasible, it seems that fully enclosed stadiums should go by the wayside.

1 Like
1 Like

Atlanta is changing out field for soccer game

@DetroitStrong

" games remaining, on what several 49ers have called the best playing surface in the league. "I’d much rather play on grass,) after the injury-riddled debacle in Atlanta. “That’s why I love Jed York. We have the nicest grass in the NFL.”

2 Likes

Where are you going to put the grass at Ford Field? On Gratiot?